Popular Classical Music
Sep 4, 2020 at 1:37 AM Post #4,846 of 8,693
Sep 6, 2020 at 5:58 AM Post #4,854 of 8,693
Mozart Violin Concerto No.5 in A major KV.219

Bomsori Kim on Violin, Paul Meyer Conductor with Orchestre Royal de Chambre de Wallonie (Belgian chamber orchestra based in Mons)

Semi-final, 2015 Queen Elisabeth Competition May 12th, 2015

Sep 6, 2020 at 7:02 AM Post #4,855 of 8,693
Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto D Major Op.35 - Bomsori Kim

Fabio Luisi Conductor and KBS Symphony Orchestra at the Seoul Arts Center Concert Hall December 13th, 2019

00:00 Preset 00:25 I. Allegro Moderato 20:00 II. Canzonetta; Andante 27:11 III. Allegro Vivacissimo

Sep 6, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #4,859 of 8,693

VERY well played indeed.
One thing is sure, I'll never play it even close to that well.

But I do prefer to hear it played at a slightly slower tempo.
My sheet music states Adagio sostenuto "sustained".
Most tutorials I have used to learn to play the first movement,clock in at around 6-7 minutes. And at that tempo I feel I get enough time to really saviour some of the most amazing chords.
And to me Adagio means slow.
Why would he add sostenuto to the Adagio if he didn´t want it played sostenuto?
But many other great pianists like Barenboim also play at a similar faster tempo once the March theme begins.
But Beethoven also wrote Marcia funebre for his Eroica and that's a very slow March.
My guess is both from listening and playing the first movement of the Moonlight that he had an almost similar tempo in mind as for the Eroica?
And in spite of a imho, painfully slow Appassionata recording ,Glenn Gould played the Moonlight way too fast imho.
But I am happy to have bookmarked his superslow Appassionata ,very helpful when learning.
GG's Moonlight no thanks.
Levit's yes indeed.
Cheers CC

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2020 at 1:20 PM Post #4,860 of 8,693
My first thoughts where, if she is the beginner pianist I might as well go and hang myself.
When the guy started, what's this? Maybe a short lesson how to make Beethoven and Chopin sound like Prokofiev?
Cheers CC

The consensus of YT comments seems to be Eddy is playing jazz. The video (..wrong notes in classical vs. jazz..) is worth watching for more humour.
Sophie is the pro, she also plays violin.

Bach - Bete aber auch dabei
from cantata Mache dich, mein Geist, bereit, (BWV 115)

Ying Fang, Soprano
Antonio Campillo-Santos, Flute
Lea Birnbaum, Cello Piccolo
Ignacio Prego, Organ

Bete aber auch dabei
Mitten in dem Wachen!
Bitte bei der großen Schuld
deinen Richter um Geduld,
Soll er dich von Sünden frei
Und gereinigt machen!

Pray nevertheless also
during your vigil!