Popular Classical Music
Sep 2, 2020 at 9:57 AM Post #4,833 of 8,685
Nice playing and some very good music. But I wish someone would please teach him how to film himself at the piano!
The angle he has chosen is the worst angle I've ever seen in a Youtube video.
His hands and fingers are completely hidden from view!
As a piano beginner ,whenever I watch a pianist's video I want to learn things.
I want to see what his or her hands and fingers are doing on the keyboard. Not hidden and not up in the air where he shows the left right dialogue in the Rameau piece.
Good pianist, but really bad amateur photographer.
Luckily the pros at DGG have filmed him more professionally in some promo videos.
SQ seems ok being Youtube though, probably only one stereo mic.
Cheers CC

I agree.
Reminds me of many of Karajan's concert videos made by DG and other companies. Most of the time, you see Karajan (head shot or upper torso, often looking upward, like he was a god). Not his orchestra (or rarely so). Apparently, Karajan wanted it that way, egocentric that he was.
cheers from Canada
CM

Sep 2, 2020 at 10:30 AM Post #4,834 of 8,685
Nice playing and some very good music. But I wish someone would please teach him how to film himself at the piano!
The angle he has chosen is the worst angle I've ever seen in a Youtube video.
His hands and fingers are completely hidden from view!
As a piano beginner ,whenever I watch a pianist's video I want to learn things.
I want to see what his or her hands and fingers are doing on the keyboard. Not hidden and not up in the air where he shows the left right dialogue in the Rameau piece.
Good pianist, but really bad amateur photographer.
Luckily the pros at DGG have filmed him more professionally in some promo videos.
SQ seems ok being Youtube though, probably only one stereo mic.
Cheers CC
Sorry Christer but I will have to controversially disagree with you! I really like the ambiance that he has created in his homemade video during these crazy times.

Would you really have preferred that he did not post the video free for us on YouTube? I like his style and he concentrates on really good content rather than playing to the camera and caressing his ego, etc. :)

Sep 2, 2020 at 11:30 AM Post #4,835 of 8,685

Sorry Christer but I will have to controversially disagree with you! I really like the ambiance that he has created in his homemade video during these crazy times.

Would you really have preferred that he did not post the video free for us on YouTube? I like his style and he concentrates on really good content rather than playing to the camera and caressing his ego, etc. :)

I have his Bach and Rameau/Debussy recordings. Really fine and worth relistening to.

Sep 2, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #4,836 of 8,685

I too like his playing and content and the fact that he has posted it, but I would have much preferred to see his fingers and hands on the keyboard instead of the empty chairs reflected on his polished piano with the much too low camera angle chosen.
It was not only the beginner piano player in me reacting, but also the professional photographer.
I actually listen to most of all the music I listen to, without any visuals at all.
Music with closed eyes is my favourite way of enjoying music.
I often find the close up's of oboists and other puffed cheeks red faced wind players very distracting to watch and for most symphonic videos posted here I don't watch just listen.
The only exceptions being pianists,pretty girls, and some Opera productions.
Sorry, I can sometimes be a rather fussy bugger.
Cheers CC

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back