PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player
Apr 20, 2015 at 5:17 AM Post #2,807 of 4,866
I received my Pono today.

It arrived dead flat as the previous owner had never used it. I gave it 3 hours charge and had a quick listen but need much more time.

Just some questions.

1) Is it correct that the player scans my card every single boot up? When I boot the player it scans for about 2-3 minutes every boot before letting me select songs. Is this normal?

2) When charging with the player off I press the power button which brings up the "charge icon" (power plug with a green line leading up to it) but once I activate the screen it doesn't seem to time out, it just stays lite, is this also normal?

Apr 20, 2015 at 6:32 AM Post #2,808 of 4,866

It arrived dead flat as the previous owner had never used it. I gave it 3 hours charge and had a quick listen but need much more time.

Just some questions.

1) Is it correct that the player scans my card every single boot up? When I boot the player it scans for about 2-3 minutes every boot before letting me select songs. Is this normal?

2) When charging with the player off I press the power button which brings up the "charge icon" (power plug with a green line leading up to it) but once I activate the screen it doesn't seem to time out, it just stays lite, is this also normal?

So it finally arrived => congrats and make sure you don't sell it before you've heard it fully burnt in and balanced
wink.gif

To answer your questions:

1) 2-3 minutes seems quite a long time to me, so I've just clocked it on mine. Booting up = 30 sec + scanning media (almost 7.500 files with mp3's @320 up to 24bit flacs @192khz) = 15 seconds => 45 sec all together from the start.

2) Yes this is normal. Always a green line and on top it's white while it's charging. When it's fully loaded it becomes green on top also.

Cheers and enjoy your Pono!

Apr 20, 2015 at 7:06 AM Post #2,810 of 4,866

Just some questions.

does music start to play before the end(resume of last played song), or do you really have to wait for the scan to get sound? first case I wouldn't mind, second one ... sansa clip.

Apr 20, 2015 at 7:14 AM Post #2,811 of 4,866

So it finally arrived => congrats and make sure you don't sell it before you've heard it fully burnt in and balanced
wink.gif

To answer your questions:

1) 2-3 minutes seems quite a long time to me, so I've just clocked it on mine. Booting up = 30 sec + scanning media (almost 7.500 files with mp3's @320 up to 24bit flacs @192khz) = 15 seconds => 45 sec all together from the start.

2) Yes this is normal. Always a green line and on top it's white while it's charging. When it's fully loaded it becomes green on top also.

Cheers and enjoy your Pono!

does music start to play before the end(resume of last played song), or do you really have to wait for the scan to get sound? first case I wouldn't mind, second one ... sansa clip.

When it boots up (from a cold start) a "scanning music library" icon comes up on the screen and you cannot do anything until it disappears, cannot play music, its like a continuation of the boot up sequence until it finishes scanning. 2-3 minutes as Keruax said seems a bit long and I'm cleaning my 32gb cards tags atm (which are a little messy / unneeded tags embedded).

I also wonder if putting the player into 'sleep mode' instead stops the needed scan and its only from a full shut down / start up.

Atm I need to wait 2-3 minutes every cold start up to play any music. (which doesn't seem correct)

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:01 AM Post #2,813 of 4,866
I never get the scan after sleep mode, starts up instantly. after fully shutting down, my scan doesn't seem as long. Haven't timed it, but seems less than a minute, doesn't bother me. My internal memory is close to full, as is my 64 gb card.

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:17 AM Post #2,814 of 4,866
I never get the scan after sleep mode, starts up instantly. after fully shutting down, my scan doesn't seem as long. Haven't timed it, but seems less than a minute, doesn't bother me. My internal memory is close to full, as is my 64 gb card.

Thanks, mine is working normally when using sleep mode (instant start up).

I flicked between a few cards and was getting about 60 second scan times from a full shutdown / boot.

Seems the initial card I was using takes a bit longer, around 2 minutes

The sound is good, if not lacking a little power for the 100ohm ER4S (which is all I've tried atm)

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:30 AM Post #2,815 of 4,866
Here is a question, if one buys music from HDTracks, using a Mac to load onto the Pono will this work?
I tried futzing around this weekend but I could never get the HDTracks Down Load Manager to launch. Meaning, I could not find a place to install it from. Is HDTracks just for PCs?

Regards,
Eric

Apr 20, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #2,818 of 4,866
I've always used the download manager. I don't think there's any other way to extract the files. At least no other easy way.

It should work. If you continue to have problems, why don't you try communicating with HDTracks help or customer service. They want you to be able to buy their product.

Apr 20, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #2,819 of 4,866
  Here is a question, if one buys music from HDTracks, using a Mac to load onto the Pono will this work?
I tried futzing around this weekend but I could never get the HDTracks Down Load Manager to launch. Meaning, I could not find a place to install it from. Is HDTracks just for PCs?

Regards,
Eric

Quick comment.  Have you made a purchase from HDTracks?  My download manager didn't install until I made my first purchase and hit the download button.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back