PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player
Apr 20, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #2,821 of 4,866
Every on line music download service (at least the high resolution ones I've purchased from) has their own software/downloader, need them to get music purchased from them. Annoying to need a different one from each site, but that's how they work.

Apr 20, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #2,822 of 4,866
Every on line music download service (at least the high resolution ones I've purchased from) has their own software/downloader, need them to get music purchased from them. Annoying to need a different one from each site, but that's how they work.

Thanks DocterJazz.

I should have tried to purchase something first, I just didn't want to find myself in a situation with the service was online for Windows Based OS's.

At any rate I will try a purchased tonight when I get home.

Regards,
Eric

Apr 20, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #2,823 of 4,866
Ah.. That is the issue! I need to buy something first. My bad on that. I will purchase something tonight and see how that turns out. I feel dumb for not figuring that on my own.

That's how it worked on a Windows PC, I would imagine same with MAC.  Good luck!

Apr 20, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #2,824 of 4,866
  [..]

1) Is it correct that the player scans my card every single boot up? When I boot the player it scans for about 2-3 minutes every boot before letting me select songs. Is this normal?

[..]

Both the pono internal memory and SD card are full to bursting on my setup.  The scan at boot-up takes less than a minute, for sure.  I'd say 30-40 seconds, max.  I seem to recall it took much longer on the first scan after loading the files, however.

I have loaded all my files using the pono desktop software, and I wonder if that makes a difference ?

Apr 20, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #2,825 of 4,866
Aha! I assumed from your original question on this topic that you had made a purchase. Indeed, this is the way I remember it working, with the download manager installing after the first purchase and opening after each subsequent purchase, although the first was quite a while ago, and my memory can't be trusted completely.

Apr 20, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #2,826 of 4,866
  [..]

1) Is it correct that the player scans my card every single boot up? When I boot the player it scans for about 2-3 minutes every boot before letting me select songs. Is this normal?

[..]

Originally Posted by flatmap /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Both the pono internal memory and SD card are full to bursting on my setup.  The scan at boot-up takes less than a minute, for sure.  I'd say 30-40 seconds, max.  I seem to recall it took much longer on the first scan after loading the files, however.

I have loaded all my files using the pono desktop software, and I wonder if that makes a difference ?

I just timed the "scanning music library" part of the boot-tup.  It's 15 seconds total for me....  I've not loaded or removed anything lately, in case that makes a difference.

Apr 20, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #2,827 of 4,866
Thanks for the replies guys. Using a 64gb card with 28gb of FLAC mine takes 60 seconds.

Firmware v1.0.1

(I haven't updated it yet)

Was there a patch somewhere along the line or? What firmware are you on flatmap?

Apr 20, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #2,828 of 4,866
I never get the scan after sleep mode, starts up instantly. after fully shutting down, my scan doesn't seem as long. Haven't timed it, but seems less than a minute, doesn't bother me. My internal memory is close to full, as is my 64 gb card.

So is mine so I bought a Seagate 2T to hold most my files.
I just transfer whatever I'm listening to for the moment.

Apr 20, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #2,829 of 4,866
If I get a case for Pono that can hold an extra card, might be nice to have another full card or 2 around with me...

Apr 20, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #2,830 of 4,866
Oh lord, I angered the Pono Gods, buy purchasing something on HDTracks.
So I went and bought the Eagle Hotel California, 192 Hz / 24 bit (FLAC), just like all the albums I bought on Pono World. Bought the album, was presented with the installation of the Download Manager, installed it and then logged into it to get my Hotel California album. So far so good....or so I thought.

I then found Pono Music Folder in FInder in my Mac. This is the same process I used to remove music from the Pono library. I added the Hotel California album, thinking that was it.

Oh but no....

So now I get this error message when I try to play any song on my Pono Music World client:

"playback could not be started on the output core audio using the format 192Khz, 24bits and 2 channels which pertain to any given song.
The message goes on to say... "the output format may not be supported by your hardware, you can use dsp studio to change the output to a compatible format.
Also make sure that your system has a valid sound playback device, that is properly configured in playback options."

I had ZERO issues using or listening to Pono Music World before I imported that Hotel California album. Now I can't play anything.

I am using the most recent PMW 20.0.83
I am using Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.3 

I searched online and the help files but none really solve this...HELP!

Regards,
Eric

Apr 20, 2015 at 7:16 PM Post #2,831 of 4,866
Forget PonoWorld...can you find the pono player in your Computer devices?
If it's there you should be able to open the music file and add or move files this way.
I rarely use PonoWorld  to add and remove files now.

Apr 20, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #2,832 of 4,866
If it's there you should be able to open the music file and add or move files this way.

Hello Koukol,

Yes sir that is how I added the album to begin with. If I sync the Pono will it add the new album?
Additonally, I found it real handy to use the JRiver skinned Pono Music World to play my music.
Like I said before everything worked fine before I manually.Honestly, I am pretty bummed about this.

Regards,
Eric

Apr 20, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #2,833 of 4,866
I never use that software, I found it hinkey.  Simple drag and drop on my Mac.  I only use it for updates, but it's set to not import anything.

You could maybe try deleting the PonoMusic preference in your Preference folder and see if that clears things.  Not sure that it will help, though.

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:02 PM Post #2,834 of 4,866
Thanks for the replies guys. Using a 64gb card with 28gb of FLAC mine takes 60 seconds.

Firmware v1.0.1

(I haven't updated it yet)

Was there a patch somewhere along the line or? What firmware are you on flatmap?

H20Fidelity, I have firmware v. 1.0.5.  I think this is the latest.  Also if I recall, each improvement in firmware offered a substantial fix to operations.
Probably upgrading should be a priority, all things being equal.

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #2,835 of 4,866

Hello Koukol,

Yes sir that is how I added the album to begin with. If I sync the Pono will it add the new album?
Additonally, I found it real handy to use the JRiver skinned Pono Music World to play my music.
Like I said before everything worked fine before I manually.Honestly, I am pretty bummed about this.

Regards,
Eric

If you plug the Pono into your PC it should automatically sync...yes?
When you open the PC you should get 'local disc (C:) Recovery (D:) a ROM Drive (E:) (if you have one and Pono (F & G (if you have a card inserted in the Pono))
Click on one of the Ponos (F or G) and see if you put the file in the music folder.
IF you can find the file in question MOVE it to your PC and close the window and unplug the Pono.
Wait for the Pono to settle then turn it off.
Will it now turn back on?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back