PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player
Apr 15, 2015 at 1:20 AM Post #2,746 of 4,858
DSD sounds great on the Pono.  Quality varies based on the master, but most of the ones I have sound very good indeed.  Without getting into the whole mp3 is as good as anything else you listen to (please, let's not), I like DSD.  However, be aware that the man whose name is on the Pono OS, Mr Ayre, has stated that he thinks DSD is not the way to go because of the modern way of recording (I'm paraphrasing but the gist was that modern recording techniques don't favor DSD) and that 24/x is really better.  Him I believe.  So I'm happy using 24/192 or 24/176 or 24/x and I'm not hearing much/any of a difference.   But for those DSDs I have I really like quite a few of them.  Both Aja and Sketches of Spain sound really good to me (and I also have them also in 16/44)

Apr 15, 2015 at 3:26 AM Post #2,747 of 4,858
yup, and mr hansen isn't alone.
in truth you end up with a somehow equivalent resolution with PCM. at first it's better in theory, but once all the "let's had a lot of noise because we idiots code in 1bit, and now let's try to remove the noise", is done in the DSD process, what's left is very much like PCM. so it's not like it sounds bad. it's just that it's a bother to use(it was made for that very purpose of limiting copies at first), makes absolutely no sense for an audio engineer as it can't be mastered with the best tools unless it goes to PCM. so from that point it's a fact that DSD can't have any more than PCM, just like a mp3 converted to 24/192 will not bring any more than a mp3. and then they would convert the master back to DSD at the end for no other reason that to put the marketing label "DSD" on it.

and obviously all the old albums remastered to DSD, come from old PCM masters, are remastered in PCM, and just at the end, converted to DSD. so that's an even more obvious scam.
point is that 99% of available DSDs, are PCM made hard to use. so please guys don't give them too much money or they'll just keep the fake formats coming, knowing they can milk us by adding market value with nothing more than rebranding.

or buy my brand new audio highres format, I called it .zip and it sounds amazing! I can get you any album for 100$.
deadhorse.gif

Apr 15, 2015 at 7:41 AM Post #2,748 of 4,858

So you might be selling your DX90??
gs1000.gif

Word around town is, DX90's no match for Pono?

Let's find out... 
wink_face.gif

DX90 no match?

DX90 is just like X5 a very nice dap, nothing wrong with it. But, if I could only keep 1 of those 3, it would definitely be the Pono yes. Not in the last place because it sounds fantastic imo in balanced mode. Bought a MDR-Z7 some weeks ago and yesterday I picked up a XBA-Z5 (comes also with a balanced cable) in the classifieds on hf. And as that wasn't enough I will probably receive another balanced cable for my 1p2/V6S in a few weeks...

Long story short: I used to be a chaotic person completely lost in this mad audio universe,
but soon my whole life will be restored in balanced mode
biggrin.gif

Congrats on your Pono and let us know what you think of it...

Apr 15, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #2,749 of 4,858
yup, and mr hansen isn't alone.
in truth you end up with a somehow equivalent resolution with PCM. at first it's better in theory, but once all the "let's had a lot of noise because we idiots code in 1bit, and now let's try to remove the noise", is done in the DSD process, what's left is very much like PCM. so it's not like it sounds bad. it's just that it's a bother to use(it was made for that very purpose of limiting copies at first), makes absolutely no sense for an audio engineer as it can't be mastered with the best tools unless it goes to PCM. so from that point it's a fact that DSD can't have any more than PCM, just like a mp3 converted to 24/192 will not bring any more than a mp3. and then they would convert the master back to DSD at the end for no other reason that to put the marketing label "DSD" on it.

and obviously all the old albums remastered to DSD, come from old PCM masters, are remastered in PCM, and just at the end, converted to DSD. so that's an even more obvious scam.
point is that 99% of available DSDs, are PCM made hard to use. so please guys don't give them too much money or they'll just keep the fake formats coming, knowing they can milk us by adding market value with nothing more than rebranding.

or buy my brand new audio highres format, I called it .zip and it sounds amazing! I can get you any album for 100$.:deadhorse:  
I will have a mint Stereo Please Please Me first pressing on black and gold parlophone please!!

Apr 15, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #2,750 of 4,858
This is VERY preliminary, but in a word WOW! What a great sound out of the Pono! Just auditioned 10 minutes so far...
I am using NAD Viso HP50 for my first testing. I have my Fidelio X2 , JVC HA-FX850, and Dunu Titans waiting in line for their turn.
I have not tried balanced yet, I need to pick up a pair of cans for that. 

Regards,
Eric

Apr 15, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #2,751 of 4,858
  This is VERY preliminary, but in a word WOW! What a great sound out of the Pono! Just auditioned 10 minutes so far...
I am using NAD Viso HP50 for my first testing. I have my Fidelio X2 , JVC HA-FX850, and Dunu Titans waiting in line for their turn.
I have not tried balanced yet, I need to pick up a pair of cans for that. 

Regards,
Eric

I have been using my Fidelio X2s and so far they sound better than my NADs! Loving the Pono so far!

I know I sound like a shill but trust me I am NOT! Just love this player!

Regards,
Eric

Apr 15, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #2,752 of 4,858
You know, months ago I posted very similar words and someone accused me of being on Pono's payroll.  

Are you sure you aren't being paid off?  
L3000.gif

Apr 16, 2015 at 1:33 AM Post #2,753 of 4,858
I am looking for opinions on how pono compares with hifiman 602 or 601le with 16-44 wav files. Is Pono a upgrade here? Thanks.

Apr 16, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #2,756 of 4,858
  Mine should arrive tomorrow....how will it do at driving the hp's in my signature?

the perfect time to ask ^_^. too late to change your purchase, too soon to make your own opinion without other people's bias.

Apr 16, 2015 at 9:25 AM Post #2,757 of 4,858

the perfect time to ask ^_^. too late to change your purchase, too soon to make your own opinion without other people's bias.

It is never too late...slow your roll. I have read, and my specific question is geared to any of the hp's I have in my signature. Also, the question was not SQ related it was simply about driving the hp's I have.

Apr 16, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #2,758 of 4,858
Pono Users I have a question that may or may not be accounted for by Pono on their website, or maybe it has not be addresses it.

On the Pono Music site (https://ponomusic.force.com/) I want to search their entire catalog of music by resolution. I want to see the music they have listed from highest to lowest sampling rate or vice versa. Ideally I would love to select by specific resolution, say 192/24. 

Am I missing a way to do that, or is it not possible on the site (as of yet)? 

Regards,
Eric

Users who are viewing this thread

Back