PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player
Apr 16, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #2,762 of 4,858
  The only thing that I miss on the Pono is folder navigation. I wish it gets implemented in a not too far future version.

+11

Apr 16, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #2,764 of 4,858
I almost threw it out the window when I started it up for the first time and tried to find folder navigation to play something from the SD card. Then I calmed down and resisted the temptation.

It keeps happening every day that I use it, kind of Groundhog Day.   :)

Apr 16, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #2,765 of 4,858
Hmmm, never used folder navigation on my other players except when tagging was bad and I couldn't find things anywhere else, otherwise albums/artists/songs work for whatever I need to do. I guess old habits die hard, though.

Apr 16, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #2,766 of 4,858
I can live without it, once you're setup it's not too bad. Although I'd call folder browsing my preferred option by default. Sorting by artist is very close anyway providing your folders are named in such a way.

Let's see if my Pono makes it before the weekend. (Friday morning here in Australia). If it's not on-board with driver early this morning it'll be a next Monday delivery.

Apr 16, 2015 at 7:20 PM Post #2,767 of 4,858
Pono does Artist and Album.  I think the intent of it was to get you to listen to the album.  It's not a flaw (to Pono), it's an intended consequence.  Overall I have no issue with it.  Tagging is the biggest issue, if you don't do it correctly you've got stuff all over the place.  Mine was already well-tagged and I still had to make some changes.  Album Artist can be an issue, for one.  Compilations need to be carefully tagged or the individual artists show up as individual tracks.  

I would like an album-to-album choice, so I didn't need to go in and choose the next album when the one playing finishes. 

Apr 16, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #2,768 of 4,858
  Pono does Artist and Album.  I think the intent of it was to get you to listen to the album.  It's not a flaw (to Pono), it's an intended consequence.  Overall I have no issue with it.  Tagging is the biggest issue, if you don't do it correctly you've got stuff all over the place.  Mine was already well-tagged and I still had to make some changes.  Album Artist can be an issue, for one.  Compilations need to be carefully tagged or the individual artists show up as individual tracks.  

I would like an album-to-album choice, so I didn't need to go in and choose the next album when the one playing finishes. 

You're right about tagging metadata; I was looking for tracks from 1984 last night, and I realised have over 800 albums on the hard drive that don't have release dates. 

Apr 17, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #2,770 of 4,858
Regarding folder navigation: I expected that, too, and was frustrated at the beginning by the Pono player's album view. I was lucky in that most of the music I loaded to the Pono I had downloaded from Hyperion Records, and they include album images with the download. It didn't take long for the Pono to reprogram me into using Album view.

I learned years ago that the automatic tagging from metadata sites is often wrong, so I check every CD's tags and adjust as necessary before doing the rip. CDs are still my primary source of music. The one additional step I have to do for any music going onto the player is to find the album art somewhere, copy it, and paste it into the Artwork field.

Once that's done, selecting music isn't a problem. Gently scroll through the visual list of albums, touch-and-hold, select "Play," and relax. This device really does make lovely music.

People who have a huge library on the Pono might be less happy. I have only about 90 albums on mine, so finding things doesn't take long, and the fast-scroll feature makes it quicker.

Apr 17, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #2,771 of 4,858
I have 200-300 albums on mine.  No problem finding things once I got tags straightened out.  The slider will do alpha as you slide it, that helps.  

Apr 17, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #2,775 of 4,858
Here is a question for OldDude and others with some high end IEM or CIEMS.

I want to know what is a good match for the Pono in the high end IEM or CIEM world.
 My "short list" includes:

JH Audio JH13 Pro Freqphase

Shure SE 846

Dita Audo "Answer"

Regards,
Eric

Users who are viewing this thread

Back