PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player
Sep 29, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #1,157 of 4,864
  This thing sure doesn't seem very user friendly from what I can see. Goofy shape and odd output impedance. 
Isn't the idea to invent a BETTER mouse trap?

I guess Neil Young didn't get that memo.
tongue.gif

Sep 29, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #1,158 of 4,864
Well, we should wait and see what the thing sounds like I think...I like the Toblerone personally. I do most of my listening sitting down. The shape means the screen will always be tilted up for easy reading when I lay the thing on its side. I thought I read that it would have discrete amplification side as well...

If I can, I will try and get my hands on one when it becomes more widely available...

Sep 29, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #1,161 of 4,864
Why cant we have more official info about the Pono yet?This is a joke..

Because it's not yet released?

I think I know more about the Light Harmonic Geek Wave than the Pono player, and the Wave is expected to be released next year. LH is also going to have a prototype Geek Wave at the CanJam @ RMAF event I believe. They had one at T.H.E. Show Newport and some people got a chance to listen to it such as LFF.

If I recall correctly, the Pono player is only a few months away from release, no? I still know pretty much nothing about it.

Sep 29, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #1,162 of 4,864
I think I know more about the Light Harmonic Geek Wave than the Pono player, and the Wave is expected to be released next year. LH is also going to have a prototype Geek Wave at the CanJam @ RMAF event I believe. They had one at T.H.E. Show Newport and some people got a chance to listen to it such as LFF.

If I recall correctly, the Pono player is only a few months away from release, no? I still know pretty much nothing about it.

OK.  And that bothers you, obviously.  But ultimately if Pono doesn't want to release anything until the product is ready for prime time, that's up to them isn't it?

The Kickstarter models are schedule to ship by the end of October.  Patience, grasshopper. 
redface.gif

Sep 29, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #1,163 of 4,864
Ableza your attitude and will to protect Pono is incredible man. I have been seeing and reading your comments for a while and now I am starting to think you can be Neil's unofficial account here or something (ok, I am joking here obviously).

I think many fellas here, like miceblue or my old mate Mython have solid points and logical explanations but I guess against a blind faith in Pono, they don't do much work and open up some eyes, unfortunately.

Hell, I wish they would bring something like a game changer and really a nice combination of important points of a solid dap, but my hopes are dieing every day a little. Let's just keep the positive attitude and believe this is the silence before the storm, otherwise it is gonna be a big epic fail in this industry.

PS: I haven't backed for Pono only because of the lack of capacity and the physical shape/size (no I don't mind the toblerone shape but it is too damn thick to use in jeans pockets). I also haven't backed LH Wave either, they started like "hey this is the ultimate" then keep on adding some extra things in it with an additional cost.. Well then apparently it wasn't really an ultimate was it? So I kinda got angry with their marketing methods. However I believe they will really bring a nice sounding player in one of their combinations. They reminded me the video game developers of today. Hey this is the final release of our game, you buy it but it is actually missing many important things. In order to complete those, you have to buy all these bunch of DLCs.. Happy shopping and don't forget we love you.... Yeah..

Sep 29, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #1,164 of 4,864
Ha ha!  Actually I have no vested interest other than my $400 that they have, and I'm no fan-boi except for the concept at this point, because I haven't held one in my hands yet either.  And trust me if it fails to deliver I'll be among the first to slam it.  But I believe all the speculation and nay-saying is counter productive and silly.  Let's just see what the thing is when it ships.  It'll either be great, or it will be a big meh, or it will suck.  But none of us know until the shipping products are in ouir hands playing music into our headphones. 
gs1000.gif

Sep 29, 2014 at 6:28 PM Post #1,166 of 4,864
  If high-res was actually hi-res instead of an idiotic waste of space then this would be cool. . . but it's not.

Its just an audiophile fad.... let's be honest here, how much actual music is even recorded in dsd/dxd formats? Even for classical music, most of the best recordings/performances ever are on CD and vinyl, so I don't see the point. Maybe bragging rights in the nerdy circle, but that's about it.

Sep 29, 2014 at 11:09 PM Post #1,167 of 4,864
  very interesting thank you. not to get too off topic of the PONO but I am looking at the Fiio X3 and it claims to have an 16~300 ohm impedence. Does that man it could easily handle a 150ohm headphone (like the Pk1)?

16 to 300 Ohm refers to this amplifier's range; that means the 'Ohm range' of headphones and IEMs which it is capable of driving. 16 Ohm is the bottom limit and 300 Ohm is the top limit. I would not use this amp with 250 Ohm Beyerdynamics. Too close to the top limit. Your headphones are smack in the middle of the range.

Sep 30, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #1,168 of 4,864
  Ha ha!  Actually I have no vested interest other than my $400 that they have, and I'm no fan-boi except for the concept at this point, because I haven't held one in my hands yet either.  And trust me if it fails to deliver I'll be among the first to slam it.  But I believe all the speculation and nay-saying is counter productive and silly.  Let's just see what the thing is when it ships.  It'll either be great, or it will be a big meh, or it will suck.  But none of us know until the shipping products are in ouir hands playing music into our headphones. 
gs1000.gif

+1

Looking forward to hearing it and seeing if it stands the test.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back