PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player
Sep 4, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #1,141 of 4,866
FYI:

Hi all,
An article recently came out with unfounded claims suggesting PonoPlayers pre-ordered though Kickstarter would not ship until 2015.
Our team wants to reiterate our commitment to all of you: Delivery of the PonoPlayer still stands as originally expected—October 2014 or December 2014 depending on your specific player.
We’ve been working extensively to stick to the timeframe we promised all of you backers and have dedicated ourselves to following through. In addition to shipment of the player this fall, we will launch our music library in October with about 2.5M tracks.
New pre-orders, now being taken through our online store, will be sent in 2015.
We hope this clears up any confusion! If not, please send over any questions or concerns to support@ponomusic.com.
Our very best,
Team Pono

Sep 9, 2014 at 1:10 AM Post #1,142 of 4,866
  FYI:

Hi all,
An article recently came out with unfounded claims suggesting PonoPlayers pre-ordered though Kickstarter would not ship until 2015.
Our team wants to reiterate our commitment to all of you: Delivery of the PonoPlayer still stands as originally expected—October 2014 or December 2014 depending on your specific player.
We’ve been working extensively to stick to the timeframe we promised all of you backers and have dedicated ourselves to following through. In addition to shipment of the player this fall, we will launch our music library in October with about 2.5M tracks.
New pre-orders, now being taken through our online store, will be sent in 2015.
We hope this clears up any confusion! If not, please send over any questions or concerns to support@ponomusic.com.
Our very best,
Team Pono

A - Now you kindly tell us the cosmic secret - does PONO have a line out, a dedicated un-amplified analog signal line to be routed to a portable amplifier ? [a MUST]
B - What kind of DAC is inside PONO ? [...and would you consider taking orders with requests for a particular one ?]
C - Where is the list of the available high quality music sources which you are going to provide ? Which artists and what albums ?
D - will you just offer the CDs in higher resolution or will you actually remaster badly mastered or even sonically butchered albums that came out in CD format ? For instance Ronee Blakley - "Ronee Blakley" album [a mixing/mastering disaster] or first 5 EmmyLou Harris' albums [ released by 'Rhino' ] that have shrill treble ? Is it going to be just cases of the same lousy masterings now offered in higher resolution ? [I'll give you tips which people would do good job fixing bad sound studio masterings].

Sep 9, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #1,143 of 4,866
  A - Now you kindly tell us the cosmic secret - does PONO have a line out, a dedicated un-amplified analog signal line to be routed to a portable amplifier ? [a MUST]
B - What kind of DAC is inside PONO ? [...and would you consider taking orders with requests for a particular one ?]
C - Where is the list of the available high quality music sources which you are going to provide ? Which artists and what albums ?
D - will you just offer the CDs in higher resolution or will you actually remaster badly mastered or even sonically butchered albums that came out in CD format ? For instance Ronee Blakley - "Ronee Blakley" album [a mixing/mastering disaster] or first 5 EmmyLou Harris' albums [ released by 'Rhino' ] that have shrill treble ? Is it going to be just cases of the same lousy masterings now offered in higher resolution ? [I'll give you tips which people would do good job fixing bad sound studio masterings].

a. yes it does
b. it uses a single ess 90182km chip (same one as dx90 except only one)
c. who knows?
d. if I recall, they said they will not be upscaling

Sep 27, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #1,144 of 4,866
I jsut wanted to comment on this because I haven't had a chance to anywhere else. I find it ironic that Niel Young is now touting how bad cds are and how good vinyl is. I remember reading somewhere that he was against analog and pro-cd saying analog was never good in the first place. I forget where i heard that now.

Also, I guess the 5ohm impedance means that it won't drive many expensive headphones without an amp right?

Sep 27, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #1,145 of 4,866
  I jsut wanted to comment on this because I haven't had a chance to anywhere else. I find it ironic that Niel Young is now touting how bad cds are and how good vinyl is. I remember reading somewhere that he was against analog and pro-cd saying analog was never good in the first place. I forget where i heard that now.

Also, I guess the 5ohm impedance means that it won't drive many expensive headphones without an amp right?

To match the impedance number of PONO you would need no less than 40 Ohm headphones, even 30 Ohms would do. That covers almost all headphones, there are not many with lower number than 30 Ohm.
For headphones higher than about 60 ohm an amplifier would be required. So 30 to 60 Ohm headphones could be plugged straight to the PONO player, even those in the range 60 to 90 but as the impedance number of headphones, irrespective of the impedance number of a playergets higher the bass gradually loses strength if the audio signal from the player is not amplified, that's why an amp would be needed.
Yes, the expensive headphones with high impedances definitely need an amp to sound good. For instance all 'mid Ohm number' [250 Ohm] and 'high Ohm number' [600 Ohm] Beyerdynamics plus Sennheiser HD800.
Edit/added on - since the use of this player implies portable or at least transportable mode of listening to music and the use of 600 Ohm Beyerdynamic headphones is possible, the two portable amplifiers that can drive 600 Ohm headphones are the ALO Audio 'the Continental V2 or V3' or Ray Samuels' 'RSA SR7-71A' / 'RSA SR-71B' [balanced mode only, for single ended jack choose SR-71A]
The Continental V2 / V3 are better choices for the Beyerdynamic headphones. These amps are currently out of production but can be bought on the second hand market or in Asia, mainly China or Japan.

Sep 28, 2014 at 12:05 AM Post #1,146 of 4,866
Thanks ! It seems disappointing for the so called ultimate music player not to have that built in, especially since its such a non portable friendly shape already. I couldn't imagine walking around with that AND an amp, how annoying - especially since you would also have a cellphone with you probably. (Im not tyring to take a dump on it, I just really like travelling light)

Sep 28, 2014 at 12:46 AM Post #1,147 of 4,866
Thanks ! It seems disappointing for the so called ultimate music player not to have that built in, especially since its such a non portable friendly shape already. I couldn't imagine walking around with that AND an amp, how annoying - especially since you would also have a cellphone with you probably. (Im not tyring to take a dump on it, I just really like travelling light)

lol the ultimate player titled was already claimed by AK240. I don't think everyone expects the Pono to be the ultimate, but given the price I'm sure it'll sound good and comparable to those around that price range

Sep 28, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #1,148 of 4,866

This player and a portable amp and headphones too would fit comfortably in a small camera bag which you can have attached to your waist. belt. I do it this way. In any case you definitely need something like a small camera bag to store your headphones and PONO player in when they are not in use, you can't store them in your pocket. I do not suppose you plan to use some small junk foldable headphones, why go into trouble of getting a player of good quality and then degrading the sound by using substandard headphones ? Good headphones come in bigger sizes and this means something like a small camera bag would be required for you. A small portable amplifier will not make any difference at all, it will fit into the same small bag.
An important variable, regarding the sound quality, is the internal amplification by PONO. Its internal amplifier is not a proper fit for the music files of good quality, this player is too small to have decent enough amplifying components. Many will be satisfied enough with the sound but many will be not satisfied and so an external amplifier is needed for those who want to hear sound of best possible quality.
I made a compromise of carrying with me a small camera bag attached to my waist belt in which I have a real portable / transportable hi-fi room; the sound I get makes it worth a small inconvenience. Most of those who had a chance of listening to my rig want the same high end portable audio set-up.

Sep 28, 2014 at 3:04 AM Post #1,149 of 4,866
Regarding first comment - thanks, i think i understand it, basically the impedence output of the pono suits headphones 40 and under.....but anything over 40 is not ideal because the potential for bass drop off (and of course lower volume). Ive actually never owned a special DAP, I always assumed they had a a nice amp built in, why else use one? 

Regarding size - well, i am someone that likes to go as light as possible, carrying an extra amp for my phone, perhaps, but not a phone, player, and amp. Its too many devices for me, I would be annoyed trying to charge them all. Of course to get the best sound I know you need to do things. I would love to hear a setup like that! As for headphone size, I am interested in using phones like the OK1 or PK1 so they dont take up a lot of space.

Sep 28, 2014 at 5:18 AM Post #1,150 of 4,866
Shouldn't it be for headphones with an impedance rating of 40 Ω or higher to meet the proper damping factor of 8?

Damping Factor = 8 = Z_load / Z_source
8 = Z_load / 5 Ω
8 * 5 Ω = Z_load = 40 Ω

Or as explained in here:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/meridian-explorer-case-study-effects-output-impedance

Sep 28, 2014 at 5:32 AM Post #1,151 of 4,866
Some say 8, others in the business I've heard say its closer to 10.

I have a Hifi-M8 which has impedance switches for 11/2/1 ohms headphone output.
I have tried it which many in ears and over the ears headphones.
The difference in sound output bass/treble is quite minimal at best.

Sep 28, 2014 at 6:55 AM Post #1,152 of 4,866
  Regarding first comment - thanks, i think i understand it, basically the impedence output of the pono suits headphones 40 and under.....but anything over 40 is not ideal because the potential for bass drop off (and of course lower volume). Ive actually never owned a special DAP, I always assumed they had a a nice amp built in, why else use one? 

Regarding size - well, i am someone that likes to go as light as possible, carrying an extra amp for my phone, perhaps, but not a phone, player, and amp. Its too many devices for me, I would be annoyed trying to charge them all. Of course to get the best sound I know you need to do things. I would love to hear a setup like that! As for headphone size, I am interested in using phones like the OK1 or PK1 so they dont take up a lot of space.

NO....the impedance output of PONO suits headphones with AT LEAST 40 OHM IMPEDANCE, that means headphones of 40 OHM AND HIGHER are needed. The rule of thumb is the output impedance number of a player times eight. 5 x 8 = 40. 40 is the optimal LOWEST number but 30 will do almost as well. Headphones with impedances below 30 would start showing audio signal distortions and lower signal to noise ratio [the "distance" or level between clean signal and unwanted electronic noise / hum drops and this means the 'noise' gets louder relative to sound of music]. The impedances mismatching also leads to power waste turned into increased heat which is not good for the electronics. On low quality headphones mild impedances mismatch would not show itself as lowered quality of sound. With good headphones the more serious impedances mismatch would show itself in the lowered quality of sound as the number gets below 4 - in this case that means the number of PONO's  impedance, 5, times 4 equals 20. Below 20 Ohm the number would be less than 4 ....let's say 15 [Ohm headphones] divided by 5 [Ohm player] equals 3.  So 'damping factor' 3 is too low [15 Ohm is too low], the number should be at least 4 [20 Ohm] and optimally for best efficiency it should be 8 [40 Ohm]. 
PONO is safe for almost all headphones, there are almost none with impedances below 30 or 20. 

When headphones are plugged in straight to a player then the bass drop-off increases as the impedance numbers of headphones increase, progressively more voltage is required to move headphones' driver so that it can properly reproduce bass frequencies. The problem is portable players do not have electronic components required to produce bigger voltages needed to overcome the higher impedances. These components are more bulky and cost more, no portable player is big enough to accommodate their size plus there is a problem of manufacturers trying to produce things on the cheap, to maximize the profits. They use as cheap and as low quality components as possible.
To drive headphones with a nominal number of 600 Ohm a voltage of some 30 Volts is required and no portable player on this Earth is capable of providing it. 'The Continental' amp uses tube / valve in a pre-amp set-up within this amplifier to create sufficient voltage gain / number to amplify the audio signal to overcome the 600 + Ohm impedance. In crude layman's terms think of it as a problem of having to overcome an 'impeding' force. A bigger counter push / force is required to send the electric current through and this bigger push / force is bigger voltage. So the bigger the Ohm number the bigger voltage is required. I said 600 + Ohm because the impedances numbers of headphones are nominal. In the case of Bayerdynamic T1 600 Ohm is the number given but this number does not uniformly reflect 'the impedance curve' which is a composite. This curve shows that the headphones' driver is a varied 'impeding' object, that its impedance number changes depending on what part of sound it has to reproduce. It is hardest to force it to move to reproduce bass sound waves.
Here is the impedance curve of Beyerdynamic T1 [thanks to en.goldenears.net ] http://en.goldenears.net/16822
The impedance of the T1's driver when it has to reproduce bass [centered on 100 Hz ] is actually around 1250 Ohm which is a lot. T1, when plugged straight to an under powered player, will have an anemic weak bass. An amplifier is needed for these headphones to provide big voltage swing to move the driver to reproduce bass frequencies in strength.
So if a manufacturer says : "This player can drive 600 Ohm headphones", it most probably is not true. From 600 Hz up to 20 000 Hz there would be no problem but from around 600 Hz down to 30 or 20 Hz a player would have to deal with 1250 Ohm impedance, twice the nominal number of 600 Ohm.

5cd65ff54104d208805b2fd0f12c80da.png

Similar case is with headphones that are nominally of 250 Ohm impedance. Below is the impedance curve of 250 Ohm Beyerdynamic DT 880. 
These headphones' 'bass impedance', centered on 80 Hz, is not 250 Ohm but around 315 Ohm. If a portable player just manages to drive 250 Ohm headphones, if it just manages to deal with 250 Ohm impedance, then it means it actually can not drive them and thus it means that an amplifier is needed.

3d8dc80db7a10533e996a8fe3e518e66.png

Many people complain that their higher impedance headphones, when played straight out of the headphones jack of portable players, have weak bass. Well, they should use a portable amplifier to hear better bass.

Sep 28, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #1,153 of 4,866
very interesting thank you. not to get too off topic of the PONO but I am looking at the Fiio X3 and it claims to have an 16~300 ohm impedence. Does that man it could easily handle a 150ohm headphone (like the Pk1)?

Sep 28, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #1,154 of 4,866
  very interesting thank you. not to get too off topic of the PONO but I am looking at the Fiio X3 and it claims to have an 16~300 ohm impedence. Does that man it could easily handle a 150ohm headphone (like the Pk1)?

Hmmmm... I'm just editing this post, as Fiio's website is a bit misleading (not deliberately, though) - in the 'Overview' of the X3, they quote the op amp (AD8397) as capable of 300mw into 16 ohms, but in their detailed spec sheet, they quote the DAP itself as delivering 540mw into 16 ohms. Either way, that's quite gutsy for such a small DAP.

Coincidentally, they suggest it is suited for use with headphones posing a 16-300 ohm load (which is what you read), but the X3 itself has an output impedance of < 0.3 ohms, which is very low (mostly that's a good thing)
regular_smile .gif

It should drive a 150 ohm headphone satisfactorily, but it really depends how demanding you are. Most headphones will benefit from a seperate amp being used in between the DAP and the headphone, but if you just want to enjoy your music whilst strolling around town with the X3 in your pocket, it will get the job done OK without an amp. Just don't expect massive bass clout or very high volume levels into 150 ohms.

As for PONO, I think quite a few people with low-impedance CIEMs (UM Miracle is one notable example) may find the PONO player falls short, synergy-wise, on account of the 5 ohm output impedance. However, inserting a discrete amp into the equation may perhaps yield a really nice result. Ayre have a decent track record so I expect the PONO player to fundamentally sound decent, but it's not a player I'll be buying, on account of the very poor ergonomics (and the 5 ohm OI).

With every passing day, we're getting closer to finding out how the PONO player performs...
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back