PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player
Mar 14, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #331 of 4,858
Just click on one of the pledges on the right.

Mar 14, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #333 of 4,858
I totally thought this was ridiculous until I saw:

1. Ayre's involvement
2. Major label backing.
3. Major label artist interest in reselling their back catalogs (i.e. you can see the drool in that endorsement video )

I'm skeptical that 96/24 is something I would notice over good 44.1/16 - but I am excited about a new focus on dynamics and fidelity.  

I probably won't buy the player right away since I have a Mytek Stereo 192 and don't need a portable right now - but I would love flac 96/24 to become a standard going forward.

Pretty amazing to see things such as zero feedback, discrete circuity and Sabre chips in the "mainstream!"

Bring on the music.

Mar 14, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #336 of 4,858
So does anyone know the connectors on this?

I'm wondering how they hooked it up to a car stereo bypassing the decks DAC (if they did)

The second "headphone port" is just a line out connection. Some car stereo systems have a "MP3 player/axillary" connection.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_out_%28signal%29#Line_out
Line_circle_out.png

Mar 14, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #339 of 4,858
The line out is an analog signal, it's already been converted from digital by the Pono DAC. The car deck is only using it's analog circuit.

So the car deck bypasses it's own DAC then?

If so, any crappy deck will be great with a Pono if it has an auxiliary input. (assuming the Amp and speakers are good.)

Mar 14, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #342 of 4,858

Point taken but I'm still wondering if the great DAC on the Pono will be degraded from a decks crappier DAC.

A Digital to Analogue Converter *DAC*, translates digital information into analogue signal. The auxiliary jack on cars (if they have one) are almost always 3.5mm audio sockets, which do not connect to a DAC, primarily because a DAC only works with digital information and will do absolutely nothing with analogue signals.

By connecting the Pono (or any other music player) to a car deck's AUX socket, you'll essentially connect the Pono directly to the car's amp, which will work the speakers, plus and minus some digital user interfaces where you can adjust the volume and equalisation. Even then I highly doubt that the DAC of the car will have anything to do with it.

The concept of an analogue signal being fed back into a DAC is similar to trying to put a cake back into a food processor so that you can get cake mix again. It makes absolutely no sense, and if I am wrong in this (in which aux DO get fed back into a DAC... Which will require an ADC........) then I am forever using bluetooth audio in all cars I'll drive in.

Mar 14, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #343 of 4,858
Thanks Jacob,

I was just lying down thinking of this when it occurred to me that a deck is both a player AND a Pre-amp (along with an amp which I usually bypass)

So yeah, now I realize the Pono would bypass the player and therefor it's DAC and go directly to the Pre-amp.

I feel stupid. :)

Mar 15, 2014 at 3:59 AM Post #344 of 4,858
You're also forgetting the pono's native format is FLAC.

Headunits usually can't read Flac. Only mp3 or wav usually.

So digital output on the pono would be pointless for car audio. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back