PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player
Mar 15, 2014 at 9:20 AM Post #348 of 4,858
Because there's not much info on the Pono's specs to go on :p
I'm hoping they'll release other artists exclusive like Bon Jovi or something.

Mar 15, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #350 of 4,858
does anyone know if it is going to read mp3? I ordered it yesterday without knowing I'm sometikes an impulsive buyer.

Probably, but using a Pono to play MP3 slightly defeats the purpose of owning one. That is unless you have far more MP3 than FLAC/Lossless files. You can always pull out of the kickstarter through your backer management section.

Mar 15, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #351 of 4,858
I really can't hear any difference between mp3 and other formats I believe that what makes the difference in sound quality is a well implented dac and amp, I have the feeling that the pono will be an excellente piece of music gear and yes 98% of my music is on mp3 format.

Mar 15, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #352 of 4,858
I really can't hear any difference between mp3 and other formats I believe that what makes the difference in sound quality is a well implented dac and amp, I have the feeling that the pono will be an excellente piece of music gear and yes 98% of my music is on mp3 format.

+1

mp3 320cbr all the way here too. just makes it easier to access my music across a whole range of av devices rather than re-ripping to a format that will only work on certan devices.

Mar 15, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #354 of 4,858
  You're also forgetting the pono's native format is FLAC.

Headunits usually can't read Flac. Only mp3 or wav usually.

So digital output on the pono would be pointless for car audio. 

I wasn't expecting (or wanting) the Pono to have a digital output.
It's mainly the high quality DAC that interests me.

Mar 15, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #355 of 4,858
does anyone know if it is going to read mp3? I ordered it yesterday without knowing I'm sometikes an impulsive buyer.

Yes, it can play MP3s. As per the FAQ:

CAN I PLAY DIGITAL MUSIC FILES I ALREADY OWN ON MY PONOPLAYER?

Yes, you can and it will probably sound better on the PonoPlayer than you've ever heard it.  

The PonoPlayer is designed to play PonoMusic with stunning clarity.  However, the player can play almost any kind of music track including FLAC, ALAC, mp3, WAV, AIFF, AAC (unprotected).  

What this really means is the PonoPlayer can play all your digital music, and all of it will sound great. 

No mention of Ogg Vorbis, though, if it matters to anyone.

Mar 15, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #356 of 4,858

+1

mp3 320cbr all the way here too. just makes it easier to access my music across a whole range of av devices rather than re-ripping to a format that will only work on certan devices.

This is utter nonsense. You need 24/96 music or else your music will suffer from compression and loss of dynamic range. Your music isn't meant to be heard this way and you're not hearing all of what the artist intended.

End sarcasm.

Mar 15, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #357 of 4,858
Finally found the appropriate thread....
My 2 cents guys and it should help answer some questions that's been posted on this thread

Mar 15, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #359 of 4,858
  DigitalFreak are you the one talking on the video?

Yep, that's me. Forgive my rather worn down appearance. I did the video late last night and it was a rather long work week an it shows in my face

Users who are viewing this thread

Back