PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player
Mar 12, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #241 of 4,858
Apologies for format, I'm on a terrible mobile.

After reading an interview @ www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/2014/03/12/289435279/hear-neil-young-explain-his-pono-music-player-at-sxsw

I cant help to believe that Neil just might be masterminding this in a direction that he isnt actually telling. If you read between the lines- he's actually talking about the loudness war, but better recorded Mp3's would be a hard sell.

Could Neil actually be trying to reverse the loudness wars under the veil of selling 192/24? I can only hope.

Only time will tell. I hope to god my hunch is right though.

Mar 12, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #242 of 4,858
Apologies for format, I'm on a terrible mobile.

After reading an interview @ www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/2014/03/12/289435279/hear-neil-young-explain-his-pono-music-player-at-sxsw

I cant help to believe that Neil just might be masterminding this in a direction that he isnt actually telling. If you read between the lines- he's actually talking about the loudness war, but better recorded Mp3's would be a hard sell.

Could Neil actually be trying to reverse the loudness wars under the veil of selling 192/24? I can only hope.

Only time will tell. I hope to god my hunch is right though.

I've had a few exchanges with the Pono team expressing concern about poor masters, specifically dynamic range compression. And how that is a bigger concern regarless of bitrate/sample.

I just received this reply:

the PonoMusic Team says:
Thanks for taking the time to let us know about your experience. One of Neil's concerns is as we listen to compressed music, the demand for producing hi-res recordings has gone away. Check out his talk at SXSW and he echoes views similar to your own. (Should be on KS soon).

Mar 12, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #245 of 4,858
There are so many other factors involved in order to make music sound good. For instead a poorly mastered hi-rez album will sound bad. Secondly the iem/headohone used makes a difference too.

i was excited when i saw the 128 GB storage. I thought it was onboard. But it seems onboard is only 64GB and they are also including a 65 microsd cards. I would have liked for them to let us get our own card instead gibes us the larger onboard.

Mar 12, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #246 of 4,858
*facepalm*

High resolution isn't the answer, as it's already been stated. Human ears can't distinguish between a 24/96+ master and an equivalent-master down-sampled to 16/44.1.

As Xaborus stated though, I hope this push leads to better mastering of music.

Facepalm? Really? Try reading my post again. I'm discussing mastering and loudness wars damage to music regardless of hires/ mp3 /16-44.1 whatever. Same as xaborus stated. Indications I get from the Pono team is that they are aware of the problem and have similar views. It's nothing yet, without action. ..but a glimmer of hope?

Mar 12, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #247 of 4,858
*facepalm*

High resolution isn't the answer, as it's already been stated. Human ears can't distinguish between a 24/96+ master and an equivalent-master down-sampled to 16/44.1.

As Xaborus stated though, I hope this push leads to better mastering of music.

Facepalm? Really? Try reading my post again. I'm discussing mastering and loudness wars damage to music regardless of hires/ mp3 /16-44.1 whatever. Same as xaborus stated. Indications I get from the Pono team is that they are aware of the problem and have similar views. It's nothing yet, without action. ..but a glimmer of hope?

Oh, I was facepalming to the reply you received.
the PonoMusic Team says:
Thanks for taking the time to let us know about your experience. One of Neil's concerns is as we listen to compressed music, the demand for producing hi-res recordings has gone away. Check out his talk at SXSW and he echoes views similar to your own. (Should be on KS soon).

Mar 12, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #250 of 4,858
I ordered the Patti Smith Signature Pono. I think this it's important to support this.

Mar 12, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #253 of 4,858
  "Is that a Toblerone in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?"

LOL, nice.

Seeing the Pono-blerone for the first time was definitely a "what were they thinking" moment.  It's not a movie player, so it's shape serving as a kickstand (a folding kickstand is a long existing, better solution) is a solution to a problem that did not exist.

Mar 12, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #254 of 4,858
Ooh, Sabre DAC!

Yay Dwight! XD
But yeah, implementation is still more important for a DAC. It can use the best DAC in the world, but it can sound bad if it's poorly implemented.
i agree...

you saw Dwight, but may have missed the joke (or not seen the particular office episode).

Triangular shape/pono. Sabre company/sabre dac...

Mar 12, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #255 of 4,858
I am glad I didn't pre order it.Something it tells me that the product is far from being finish and why can't we have full technical specifications?
I am very happy with my Tera player and I rather spend the money on better headphones.
yes, we know you are happy with your tera player as you tell us each and everyday, over and over :)

Enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back