1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by currawong, Sep 28, 2012.
First

Back
7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27
Next

Last
  1. Xaborus
    Apologies for format, I'm on a terrible mobile.

After reading an interview @ www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/2014/03/12/289435279/hear-neil-young-explain-his-pono-music-player-at-sxsw

I cant help to believe that Neil just might be masterminding this in a direction that he isnt actually telling. If you read between the lines- he's actually talking about the loudness war, but better recorded Mp3's would be a hard sell.

Could Neil actually be trying to reverse the loudness wars under the veil of selling 192/24? I can only hope.

Only time will tell. I hope to god my hunch is right though.

2. thegrobe

I've had a few exchanges with the Pono team expressing concern about poor masters, specifically dynamic range compression. And how that is a bigger concern regarless of bitrate/sample.

I just received this reply:

the PonoMusic Team says:
    Thanks for taking the time to let us know about your experience. One of Neil's concerns is as we listen to compressed music, the demand for producing hi-res recordings has gone away. Check out his talk at SXSW and he echoes views similar to your own. (Should be on KS soon).

3. miceblue
    *facepalm*

High resolution isn't the answer, as it's already been stated. Human ears can't distinguish between a 24/96+ master and an equivalent-master down-sampled to 16/44.1.

As Xaborus stated though, I hope this push leads to better mastering of music.

4. pOOB73
    Absolutely right. One simple rule applies... "**** goes in, **** comes out".

5. audionewbi
    There are so many other factors involved in order to make music sound good. For instead a poorly mastered hi-rez album will sound bad. Secondly the iem/headohone used makes a difference too.

i was excited when i saw the 128 GB storage. I thought it was onboard. But it seems onboard is only 64GB and they are also including a 65 microsd cards. I would have liked for them to let us get our own card instead gibes us the larger onboard.

6. thegrobe

Facepalm? Really? Try reading my post again. I'm discussing mastering and loudness wars damage to music regardless of hires/ mp3 /16-44.1 whatever. Same as xaborus stated. Indications I get from the Pono team is that they are aware of the problem and have similar views. It's nothing yet, without action. ..but a glimmer of hope?

7. miceblue
    Oh, I was facepalming to the reply you received.

8. musicday
    I am glad I didn't pre order it.Something it tells me that the product is far from being finish and why can't we have full technical specifications?
    I am very happy with my Tera player and I rather spend the money on better headphones.

9. alphabetagaga
    thanks for letting us know

10. Sam Edwards
    I ordered the Patti Smith Signature Pono. I think this it's important to support this.

11. Saraguie
    Not sure if anyone also did, I just invited one and all from the Pono Music Team to join and post on our thread here. Sent them a link (to one of my posts of course:) and hopefully they will.

12. meat01 Contributor
    "Is that a Toblerone in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?"

13. Edwood

LOL, nice.

Seeing the Pono-blerone for the first time was definitely a "what were they thinking" moment.  It's not a movie player, so it's shape serving as a kickstand (a folding kickstand is a long existing, better solution) is a solution to a problem that did not exist.

14. ExpatinJapan
    i agree...

you saw Dwight, but may have missed the joke (or not seen the particular office episode).

Triangular shape/pono. Sabre company/sabre dac...

15. ExpatinJapan
    yes, we know you are happy with your tera player as you tell us each and everyday, over and over :)

Enjoy.

First

Back
7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27
Next

Last