PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player
Aug 17, 2016 at 10:18 AM Post #4,531 of 4,858
  Quote:
Here is my take, a) changing then replacing the file; nor b) deleting the bad file then rebooting without that artist, then adding the corrected file; nor c) doing a hard reset worked [I am pretty sure that is everything I tried, but looking back for b) I could of deleted then hard reset but I didn't think of that at the time]. 

I am pretty confident there were no stray tags after checking the files after changes in three different taggers.  Also, I did nothing to the loaded corrected files that were previously not taking before doing the 4 card cache clear; so perhaps the cache does not take every move real-time, or leaves some kind of trailing registry of past entries.  I would add the card scans for whenever I normally make changes to an album, or say add 5-6 albums, or simply turn it on, was pretty much the same as the hard reset which didn't seem to do much different than rebooting; but of course when that large card (with no changes from when it was cleared out of the cache) got reinserted in as the 4th card, it took what seemed like 15-20 minutes to scan, presumably because its cache was being built fresh as if it were the first time.  That is my guess anyway, without clearing the cache for a card outright some stray old tag leavings are possible, and it must see that Faces was enough the same as The Faces to say ok I will use this... The Faces.  I don't know what it would have done if this file was previously on the Pono HD and not a card.

Sorry if I missed some details you posted, I'm not regularly on Head-fi right now.

If you have a spare microSD card, try formatting it and just putting that one track on it.  If it comes up correct then it is some kind of caching issue, else it's obviously the file.

But just doing a hard reset (even without any file changes) does rebuild the cache for me every time (very long rescan after boot).  Also, what firmware version are you on?  The latest is 1.06 last time I checked, maybe there is different behaviour in other versions.

And just a sanity check, do you maybe have the same file in both the on-board storage and a card?  Or duplicated in two folders?

Aug 17, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #4,532 of 4,858
Sorry if I missed some details you posted, I'm not regularly on Head-fi right now.

If you have a spare microSD card, try formatting it and just putting that one track on it.  If it comes up correct then it is some kind of caching issue, else it's obviously the file.

But just doing a hard reset (even without any file changes) does rebuild the cache for me every time (very long rescan after boot).  Also, what firmware version are you on?  The latest is 1.06 last time I checked, maybe there is different behaviour in other versions.

And just a sanity check, do you maybe have the same file in both the on-board storage and a card?  Or duplicated in two folders?
Just in case I was not clear the corrected file as I had it on the card now reads correctly after the cache clear, I don't think I need to add the corrected file again on a new card to prove it isn't the file but that is just me. I am on 1.0.6, and no this Artist only resided in one folder and only ever on that one card. I do have other artists across multiple folders across multiple cards or the Pono on-board HD and cards which works fine.

Also a hard reset is holding the O down for roughly 10 seconds which shuts it down, then you press O again to start it up right? That was the only method I could find. Cheers and thanks for the help.

Aug 17, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #4,533 of 4,858
Just in case I was not clear the corrected file as I had it on the card now reads correctly after the cache clear, I don't think I need to add the corrected file again on a new card to prove it isn't the file but that is just me. I am on 1.0.6, and no this Artist only resided in one folder and only ever on that one card. I do have other artists across multiple folders across multiple cards or the Pono on-board HD and cards which works fine.

Also a hard reset is holding the O down for roughly 10 seconds which shuts it down, then you press O again to start it up right? That was the only method I could find. Cheers and thanks for the help.

Cool, glad it's sorted for you.  It's sounds like you hit a caching bug, but probably one that requires a specific set of circumstances as I haven't seen this, and I did extensive tag surgery when I first got the player.

Aug 17, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #4,534 of 4,858
Yes I agree it must have been pretty specific circumstances as I have done many many other tag changes of varying kinds that took every time; my guess is I have maybe 70 artists, hundreds of albums, but this is the first time I can remember trying to remove The before an artist, and it is a circumstance I can understand happening given 96% of the corrected tag was the same as the previous cache version. 

Aug 17, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #4,535 of 4,858
I'm a programmer, they probably use special-case logic for the 'The' handling/caching, so the bug must be in there. Oh well that's software for you :).

Aug 18, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #4,536 of 4,858
I'm a programmer, they probably use special-case logic for the 'The' handling/caching, so the bug must be in there. Oh well that's software for you
smily_headphones1.gif

I was thinking that, since they ignore "The" in an Artist tags when it orders the Artists playlist on the Pono, it might get handled weirdly in the caching.  Also the other caching bug referenced was a capitalization issue for an Artist or Album, I can't remember; so changing from all caps to title caps was not sticking, but again something you could see slipping through the caching cracks.

I have been plenty happy with the interface except for the scrolling.  I listen to albums using the artist playlist pretty exclusively and it works fine for me; I don't know how you feel as a programmer.

Aug 20, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #4,537 of 4,858

I was thinking that, since they ignore "The" in an Artist tags when it orders the Artists playlist on the Pono, it might get handled weirdly in the caching.

Yes quite possible.

>> Also the other caching bug referenced was a capitalization issue for an Artist or Album, I can't remember; so changing from all caps to title caps was not sticking, but again something you could see slipping through the caching cracks.

Yep, they might be ignoring capitalisation in the code, hence it doesn't seem to have changed.

>> I have been plenty happy with the interface except for the scrolling.  I listen to albums using the artist playlist pretty exclusively and it works fine for me; I don't know how you feel as a programmer.

On the whole I think it's pretty good.  The scrolling can get glitchy (and completely freaked out originally when I had too many playlists installed).  And random play doesn't work right, ie. if you start it on the last track in an album, it just stops there rather than randomising earlier ones.  I hope they fix that as it's annoying.

The only major issue for me is how crappy the display is (viewing angles before colours go weird, and low res).  I care about artwork, so an IPS (or even OLED) screen with a higher resolution would be prefect in v2, if it ever happens.  I've even wondered if there is a compatible IPS panel of the same size that could be user swapped-in.

Aug 28, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #4,538 of 4,858
Although I have no idea if anyone is still interested in buying the Pono players, a large electronics store called Fry's Electronics is selling the Pono player (either yellow or black version) with today's promo code for $228.99.  Our ad says that Fry's is even paying the sales tax on the player.  You will need to go to the Fry's website and apply for a promo code, because you can only get this bargain with today's (8/28/16) promo code.  But the sale price with today's promo code is good thru 9/3/16.  Here is a link to today's sale ad:  https://t.co/Z6JvYUBXP5.  Look under the section "Television, Audio, and Cameras".   Good luck and I hope this is useful to someone out there.

Aug 28, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #4,539 of 4,858
  Although I have no idea if anyone is still interested in buying the Pono players, a large electronics store called Fry's Electronics is selling the Pono player (either yellow or black version) with today's promo code for $228.99.  Our ad says that Fry's is even paying the sales tax on the player.  You will need to go to the Fry's website and apply for a promo code, because you can only get this bargain with today's (8/28/16) promo code.  But the sale price with today's promo code is good thru 9/3/16.  Here is a link to today's sale ad:  https://t.co/Z6JvYUBXP5.  Look under the section "Television, Audio, and Cameras".   Good luck and I hope this is useful to someone out there.

Balanced this is still one of if not the best sounding DAP's available.  Great price for brand new.

Aug 28, 2016 at 8:57 PM Post #4,540 of 4,858
Remember, Never format the internal storage on the Pono. There is more there than we see. It blew my Pono back to USB 1.1 if it would connect at all. I had to send my Pono in and am grateful it was repaired and returned.

Aug 28, 2016 at 9:23 PM Post #4,541 of 4,858
Remember, Never format the internal storage on the Pono. There is more there than we see. It blew my Pono back to USB 1.1 if it would connect at all. I had to send my Pono in and am grateful it was repaired and returned.

I'm glad you got it back in good shape!

Aug 28, 2016 at 9:28 PM Post #4,542 of 4,858
I'm currently loving my Pono, using Trinity balanced cables, Westone W40, and (this is key) the foam star tips. Interestingly, I found the sound with silicon tips softer, less clear, and thought it was just the W40. I expected the same loose sound with the foamies, even worse, but, surprisingly, it instead became tighter, clearer, more open. I've been using the combo noon so since!

Sep 5, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #4,544 of 4,858
Did it break off flush inside? If so you can try a very small drop of super glue to bond broken piece to a small screw driver tip. Hold Pono with connectors facing toward floor so glue can't migrate.

Have also seen people use very small screw. Screw it into back of broken connector careafully and slowly pull out.
With either method have tweezers ready to grab bad part and add additional purchase.
Good luck.

Sep 5, 2016 at 10:47 PM Post #4,545 of 4,858
Did it break off flush inside? If so you can try a very small drop of super glue to bond broken piece to a small screw driver tip. Hold Pono with connectors facing toward floor so glue can't migrate.

Have also seen people use very small screw. Screw it into back of broken connector careafully and slowly pull out.
With either method have tweezers ready to grab bad part and add additional purchase.
Good luck.

The positive tip of the 3.5mm is stuck inside the port. Using tweezers are difficult since they don't fit. I will try the super glue + screw idea. Hopefully it'll work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back