PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player
May 27, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #4,501 of 4,858
Think Fry's is running the PonoPlayer on sale again. It says add to final cart for best price. I didn't do it. Have two already. Make sure you sign up and have the daily code.

Pono is running a special on their music for Canada and US customers. Buy $40 or more and get 15% off. You must type in a code that is available on their forum.

Enjoy the weekend. I will now.

May 28, 2016 at 1:56 PM Post #4,502 of 4,858
For some reason Fry's won't let me sign up for their deals email. When I hit submit, it just says "Sorry, we are not able to process your request at this moment." Been like that for a few days now. Anybody else have issues? By the way, how much is the Pono after coupon code?

May 28, 2016 at 4:40 PM Post #4,503 of 4,858
tekwrx I just went to the Fry's site. Unfortunately it appears the player is back to $399. There is no crossed out price or note saying add to cart for best price. I didn't look at the recent sale price. It is usually $250 - 275. Sometimes it is free shipping. Other times instore only. My Fry's is over 400 miles one way trip. So they shipped it when it was supposed to be in store only. It was my first order and apparently they didn't want to lose a customer willing to spend that kind of money!

They run this sale often. This gives you time to get on their email list. Pick daily when they give email frequency choices. You will have to open each email and search for Pono Player to see if it is on special. It never pops up for me in their original email sale ad. Guess Pono is getting pickier about the pricing. Never had to add it to cart before to see final price. Fry's will probably run sale again in 2-3 weeks. Patience is key.

If you have trouble when Pono goes on sale again call Fry's and place the order.
The Pono Player has untouchable sound quality at $400. At $250 it is incredible.
Good luck.

May 29, 2016 at 12:49 AM Post #4,505 of 4,858
Anyone here who can comment on the sound quality of Pono + VE Monk? Good synergy or not?

Jun 8, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #4,508 of 4,858
Just received an email from PONO. 

Additionally, just in time for Father's Day, we are offering a PonoPlayer gift pack all for the super low price of $299! It includes a PonoPlayer, 64GB SanDisc microSD card, $25 worth of music and free shipping. (retail value of $465)  Orders must be placed by 6/14/16 to ensure delivery by 6/19/16.

Looks like a good deal if you're looking for one!

Aug 7, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #4,511 of 4,858
Have been playing the new Mitchell & Johnson Electrostatz GL2SE hybrid headphones. They are 32 ohm closed back headphones with a 40mm dynamic bass driver and a electret condenser mid / high flat panel driver. They have built in transformers and crossovers in each earcup.

Picked these up on the Kickstarter campaign. Break in is a must. Once broken in, they sound excellent on the Pono Player. The Electrostatz use a single earcup mounted 3.5mm trs connector for the interchangeable cable. Unfortunately this means common grounds and no Pono balanced drive. Still looking into modifying the M&J with a trrs connector. They do sound fabulous in single ended mode. The largest, most out of head experience I have heard on the Pono Player. My single ended Sennheiser HD600 can't match them plugged directly into the Pono. This is amazing to me considering the M&J are closed back headphones.

Aug 7, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #4,512 of 4,858
Have been playing the new Mitchell & Johnson Electrostatz GL2SE hybrid headphones. They are 32 ohm closed back headphones with a 40mm dynamic bass driver and a electret condenser mid / high flat panel driver. They have built in transformers and crossovers in each earcup.

Picked these up on the Kickstarter campaign. Break in is a must. Once broken in, they sound excellent on the Pono Player. The Electrostatz use a single earcup mounted 3.5mm trs connector for the interchangeable cable. Unfortunately this means common grounds and no Pono balanced drive. Still looking into modifying the M&J with a trrs connector. They do sound fabulous in single ended mode. The largest, most out of head experience I have heard on the Pono Player. My single ended Sennheiser HD600 can't match them plugged directly into the Pono. This is amazing to me considering the M&J are closed back headphones.
HD600 with their 300ohm specifications need more amperage than what the Pono would give single ended. It would be OK but not great in that configuration. Having said that electrostat technology could very well eclipse the HD600 when properly amped anyway.

Aug 7, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #4,513 of 4,858
Anyone here who can comment on the sound quality of Pono + VE Monk? Good synergy or not?

Haven't listened in a while (sold my Pono), but the Monk with the Pono was good for me. $5 or no, those are damn good earbuds. I pair the Monk Plus with my AK120 (first gen) as a daily driver at the office.

The Zen V1 and the Pono were extremely good, and Lee terminated both my Zen V1 and a pair of Zen V2 for Pono balanced. Both were extremely good in my opinion.

Aug 7, 2016 at 9:53 PM Post #4,514 of 4,858
I seem to be alone on this...liked my Zen 1 single ended out of the Pono. Got the Zen 2 balanced, found it "soft", didn't like it as much.
Just me, i guess.
Loving the Trinity balanced cable with a number of different iem's!

Aug 8, 2016 at 12:46 AM Post #4,515 of 4,858
@doctorjazz, do you think the softer bass was due to differences between v1 and v2 or single ended vs balanced? Wouldn't think the Pono would have trouble with a single, high ohm driver? The Trinity balanced cables are nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back