PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player
Sep 25, 2015 at 11:16 PM Post #4,156 of 4,864
Sorry to hear about the ear problems as well. I have Etys, pretty much only use them for when I really need total isolation, like mowing lawn...they create such a tight seal I can hear music while mowing. Haven't directly compared, but they may isolate as well or better than my acs Encore customs; they do it generating very strong suction, which the acs don't do as much. I can definitely see problems from infections, also pressure issues, similar to when you can't pop your ears on a plane, from that approach. Sorry again, should clear after some time.
What @waynesworld said about buds is true, at least with the Zen buds. When I had discomfort from poor fit with my Encores, my left canal was sore for a while, and I really didn't want anything in them. The Zen buds sound great (work great with the Pono, btw), and, while buds have their own fit issues and can take some getting used to, allowed me to listen without in ear, over ear, or on ear for a bit (better now, and, after multiple tries, retaking molds, back and forth shipping, the acs is fine now).
Just another comment how great balanced Pono and the HE-1000 is (though Pono line out into the MicroZOTL 2 is better). Listening to Jason Isbel's new album, sounds great!

Sep 26, 2015 at 1:05 AM Post #4,157 of 4,864
I suggest trying some solutions like donut foams and/or earhoox.

I take no credit for the idea, I saw it in the VE thread, but I ran with it a little. So far I'm enjoying the Zens in ways I didn't think possible.

Sep 26, 2015 at 1:12 AM Post #4,158 of 4,864
This is a ymmv situation, of course. I bought Earhoox, didn't like the fit at all, I do better with the plain unadorned Zen.

Sep 26, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #4,159 of 4,864
This is a ymmv situation, of course. I bought Earhoox, didn't like the fit at all, I do better with the plain unadorned Zen.
Perfectly reasonable and go each their own, hence why I use two different sizes for my ears. :p Different people, different dimensions. I envy you a bit haha, the earbud shells begin to irritate my ear canal after 30 minutes or so. Both the earhoox and foams together make a great seal and keeps it in place for me.

Sep 26, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #4,160 of 4,864
I may give them a try again, but I don't think a seal is really what you try for with these, a good fit with them pointing into the ear canal seems to be the goal as far as I can see.

Sep 26, 2015 at 10:56 PM Post #4,162 of 4,864
I'm using Norne Zoetic cable on my HE-1000, great, I'm told they are a great match for other Hifiman cans as well. Contact Trevor.

Sep 28, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #4,163 of 4,864
Has anyone else experienced a different EQ curve when in balanced mode?
Instead of enhancing the sound my Pono boosts the mids destroying a lot of recordings with harsh vocals...and this is with a HD650's!
I'm beginning to think my Pono isn't working properly.

Sep 28, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #4,164 of 4,864
Haven't noticed it on the HE-1000...just got the cables and adaptors to use my acs Encore ciem, only listened a little with them balanced, didn't note it either.

Sep 28, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #4,165 of 4,864
Also never noticed that with my MDR-Z7 and XBA-Z5 in balanced mode
blink.gif

Sep 28, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #4,166 of 4,864
Thanks, Guys.
Something is wrong cause' a recording can sound great everywhere but the Pono in balanced mode.
It's not the Surf cable since it's fine unbalanced.
DAMN...I don't think I can do anything about this :frowning2:

Sep 28, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #4,167 of 4,864
  Has anyone else experienced a different EQ curve when in balanced mode?
Instead of enhancing the sound my Pono boosts the mids destroying a lot of recordings with harsh vocals...and this is with a HD650's!
I'm beginning to think my Pono isn't working properly.

Koukol, when you plug in your balanced cable, are you also going to settings and selecting balanced operation? 

I'm sure you are, but otherwise it is hard to imagine anything harsh being generated by the pono player.

Sep 28, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #4,168 of 4,864
  Thanks, Guys.
Something is wrong cause' a recording can sound great everywhere but the Pono in balanced mode.
It's not the Surf cable since it's fine unbalanced.
DAMN...I don't think I can do anything about this :frowning2:

Note that you have to reset to balanced mode EVERY time you plug/unplug the headphones. The Pono will NOT retain the balanced setting unless you keep the phones plugged in after you set it up. It sure sounds like you are not in balanced mode to me.

Sep 28, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #4,169 of 4,864
Thanks guys but I'm positive it was in balanced mode.
I've actually been experiencing this since I went balanced.

Also, the Pono doesn't play properly when both outputs are connected and not switched to balanced.

Sep 28, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #4,170 of 4,864
Could be, I'll listen closely, but, through the HE-1000 I haven't noted anything but great sound from balanced Pono.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back