PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player
Oct 1, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #4,186 of 4,866
I use it plugged in all the time, haven't had any problems using it that way...I tend to fall asleep listening to music, often have the pono plugged.
As far as driving headphones, don't know the T1, use the HE-1000, not up to it single ended but drives it fine balanced.

Oct 1, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #4,188 of 4,866
I haven't tried it, but I'd guess it would only be good in balanced mode (don't have balanced cables for 560, always listened to it line out into Ray Samuels HR-2 or MicroZOTL2 from the Pono), find the 560 fussier/harder to drive than the HE-1000, gets edgy if not driven well.

Oct 1, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #4,189 of 4,866
I use it plugged in all the time, haven't had any problems using it that way...I tend to fall asleep listening to music, often have the pono plugged.
As far as driving headphones, don't know the T1, use the HE-1000, not up to it single ended but drives it fine balanced.

Cheers, Doc.
I wonder if it will wear out the battery faster?

Oct 2, 2015 at 5:22 AM Post #4,190 of 4,866
Depends on the impedance.
It can push my 300 Ohm 650's but even with the volume at 100% it's not engulfing enough for me.
This player can only push 300 Ohm cans to full bloom in balanced mode imo.

Does anyone know if I can use the Pono when it's plugged in only?
Since I don't listen to music on the go it would be great just to plug it in when needed and unplug it when finished.

I use it plugged in most of the time
Didnt have a problem

Oct 2, 2015 at 6:29 AM Post #4,191 of 4,866
Have no clue whether the battery wears out faster that way. Over the years I've read it's good to let the battery fully run down, it's bad to let the battery fully run down, who knows?

Oct 2, 2015 at 7:30 AM Post #4,192 of 4,866
Have no clue whether the battery wears out faster that way. Over the years I've read it's good to let the battery fully run down, it's bad to let the battery fully run down, who knows?

Battery University knows.

Charge info:

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries

Discharge info:

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/bu_502a_over_discharging_lithium_ion

Not a good habit to drain your batteries fully, or to keep them constantly in a state of full charge.

Oct 2, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #4,193 of 4,866

Battery University knows.

Charge info:

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries

Discharge info:

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/bu_502a_over_discharging_lithium_ion

Not a good habit to drain your batteries fully, or to keep them constantly in a state of full charge.

Cheers!
This has me a little concerned...

"A portable device should be turned off during charge. This allows the battery to reach the set threshold voltage unhindered and termination on current saturation. A parasitic load confuses the charger by depressing the battery voltage and preventing the current in the saturation stage to drop low. A battery may be fully charged, but the prevailing conditions will prompt a continued charge, causing stress."

Oct 2, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #4,195 of 4,866
Has anyone come out with a replacement battery yet?
At some point we're all gonna have to replace it so I'm actually more concerned about damaging the Pono over-all with this technique we're talking about.

Oct 2, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #4,196 of 4,866
Oops, looks like I'll have to change my evil ways...

Oct 2, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #4,198 of 4,866
Mea culpa!

Oct 2, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #4,199 of 4,866
  Yeah it isn't good for the battery to be in use while being charged, especially in a high load device like a dap, your just asking for reduced battery life.

Only problem there with the Pono is that it constantly displays the power cord graphic on-screen while charging (when off). I'm worried the screen will get burn-in.

At least the screen goes blank after the timeout period when its on while charging and playback is paused (which I usually do).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back