PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player
Sep 29, 2015 at 3:08 AM Post #4,171 of 4,866
Something is definitely wrong with the player.
I just listened to a CD I ripped to PMW and it sounded great with my 650's on my laptop .
However, once the rip was on my Pono the mids became harsh and this is with using the same cable for both situations.
It's the frequency around some voices...any kind of concert applause is deafening.
Not only that but I've experienced slight volume fluctuating up and down on a few songs for split seconds.
It started last night but I thought it had something to do with the ripping however tonight it happened on a recording that has been fine for the last six months.
DAMN! :frowning2:

Sep 29, 2015 at 3:46 AM Post #4,173 of 4,866
  Has anyone else experienced a different EQ curve when in balanced mode?
Instead of enhancing the sound my Pono boosts the mids destroying a lot of recordings with harsh vocals...and this is with a HD650's!
I'm beginning to think my Pono isn't working properly.

Could it be the balanced cable is wired incorrectly?

Sep 29, 2015 at 7:42 AM Post #4,175 of 4,866
So sorry Koukol, these digital headaches are awful. Maybe they're right and it is the cable...it only happens balanced?
Been using balanced cable for Pono (pia to arrange, the cable they use doesn't come with Pono terminations, had to get adaptors), don't heat anything like you're describing. If check with the cable manufacturer, and Pono help as well.

Sep 29, 2015 at 11:17 AM Post #4,176 of 4,866

I think he also said the Pono didn't sound right when using both headphones jacks and not balanced.

If that's true and two separate, single-end headphones don't sound right when using the "sharing" mode, something could really be wrong with the Pono.

I'd  open a support ticket (unless your Pono is out of warranty; in which case it is a bummer).

Sep 29, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #4,177 of 4,866
Yeah it's with both balanced and normal mode
I didn't test both normal outputs in "share" mode though...thanks for the advice.
The "bump" is really subtle and I can foresee the volume fluctuating not happening under their inspection so I'm concerned Pono will think it's fine.

One month ago I ordered two balanced cables to go into my Amp but they've yet to arrive.
I expect them any-day now.
Once I get them soldered right I can test it that way.

Thanks again for the input, guys.

Sep 30, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #4,179 of 4,866
Im having a little glitch i haven't seen yet -  a bad flac rip seems to be able to pause the pono.

i am only seeing it on one album - some of the tracks skip, some dropout completely, and in more than one instance the pono has paused itself instead of dealing with the bad track and going on.

it's not a big deal in the scheme of things, i'll re-rip that disc, i just wonder if anyone else has seen the pono OS actually stop a play mode on it's own.

Sep 30, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #4,180 of 4,866
  I'm thinking this might be a battery problem.
What else could cause' small volume fluctuations?

is that pupil dilated, koukol?  :)

are you hearing the small volume variations in a variety of tracks? 

also, it could be a side effect of something else wrong - of the op-amps on the outputs are misfiring in any way it could come across as volume fluctuations to a discerning ear.

i'd open a support ticket and ask about a loaner program.

Sep 30, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #4,181 of 4,866
  Im having a little glitch i haven't seen yet -  a bad flac rip seems to be able to pause the pono.

i am only seeing it on one album - some of the tracks skip, some dropout completely, and in more than one instance the pono has paused itself instead of dealing with the bad track and going on.

it's not a big deal in the scheme of things, i'll re-rip that disc, i just wonder if anyone else has seen the pono OS actually stop a play mode on it's own.

My audio players also crash occasionally with few songs. Always the same ones, the player freezes and restarts or crashes. Could be bad ripping for sure.

Sep 30, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #4,182 of 4,866

I'm thinking this might be a battery problem.
What else could cause' small volume fluctuations?

is that pupil dilated, koukol?  :)

are you hearing the small volume variations in a variety of tracks? 

also, it could be a side effect of something else wrong - of the op-amps on the outputs are misfiring in any way it could come across as volume fluctuations to a discerning ear.

i'd open a support ticket and ask about a loaner program.

My Avatar is an optical illusion...it's soapy water going down a drain.

And yes, It's not from a bad rip since I heard it on a Dylan song that has been fine for six months.
Also...they have a loaner program?
How does it work?

Sep 30, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #4,183 of 4,866
Bad rips can mess up a player's ability to translate the little bits into music.  Freezes, skipping, etc. are not unusual.  Re-rip and see if all the tracks play.  If the original has issues, though, re-ripping won't help.  

Oct 1, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #4,185 of 4,866
Depends on the impedance.
It can push my 300 Ohm 650's but even with the volume at 100% it's not engulfing enough for me.
This player can only push 300 Ohm cans to full bloom in balanced mode imo.

Does anyone know if I can use the Pono when it's plugged in only?
Since I don't listen to music on the go it would be great just to plug it in when needed and unplug it when finished.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back