Poll: Is gaming a waste of time?
Jan 14, 2011 at 12:36 AM Post #76 of 248

It sounds as if Uncle Erik needs to play more games 
biggrin.gif

No but in all seriousness to each is own but games for me are just games something fun to do nothing more nothing less.

I used to play back in the 8 bit era. It was fun, but I spent a lot more time with friends, family, the school band, things like that. Games have always left me feeling a little empty afterwards.

Today, I got up and played with the cat for a bit before taking a shower and going to work. At work, I chatted with and had a few laughs with co-workers, got a lot of stuff done, then stayed late and got some discovery out just under the wire. Bosses happy.

Had some dinner at a restaurant I frequent - the staff is great. Now I'm at the bar. The bartender brought me a beer when she saw me come in. Five or six friends are here. Handshakes, hugs and pecks on the cheek with a few, and the USC v, Oregon basketball game is on. I've done a little cleanup here at Head-Fi and am going through a few posts.

Later, I'll head home get the laptop and cat on the sofa, and catch up with PMs and read some news, then listen to an album before going to sleep.

I've socialized with over 25 people, got some work done, had a couple of drinks, made the cat happy, and have had fun. Saturday brings a family party and I might drive down to the desert since it's a long weekend.

These are the things that I enjoy and it all has benefits for others, too. Spending a few hours with a console or computer wouldn't do that. The cat would not be pleased, either. She often gets on the laptop to remind me where my priorities should be. :)

Maybe it's a generational thing. I remember life before the Internet and video screens were everywhere. The parents took us to neighborhood parks and the beach constantly. We were encouraged to see friends after school. We actually were turned loose early on, as well. I think I got a bike around seven and was let loose, unsupervised, to roam the city with friends as long as we were back before dark.

It seems like kids are supervised and structured to death today. People would never turn a ten year old with a bike loose for several hours after school. Maybe if you're constantly watched gaming is a good outlet. I don't know, society has changed a lot.

But if I'm going to waste a little time, I like doing it over a beer and making small talk. I could run lots of games on my computer, but I'd rather come here and exchange with others. And I get a lot of amusement from a cat with a ball of paper.

Jan 14, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #77 of 248
Yes, gaming is a waste of time to some and Uncle Erik's got the perfect reasons why.

In order to keep myself productive, I don't buy any game consoles, don't own a TV, and I disconnect the internet from time to time. That way, I'm not tempted from doing something else that I should be doing.

Games take up way too much time to be an effective stress relief (at least for me). I understand how some people play games with their friends though. I go to their houses to play, but I don't own one. 

Jan 14, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #78 of 248

Quote:
I used to play back in the 8 bit era. It was fun, but I spent a lot more time with friends, family, the school band, things like that. Games have always left me feeling a little empty afterwards.Today, I got up and played with the cat for a bit before taking a shower and going to work. At work, I chatted with and had a few laughs with co-workers, got a lot of stuff done, then stayed late and got some discovery out just under the wire. Bosses happy.Had some dinner at a restaurant I frequent - the staff is great. Now I'm at the bar. The bartender brought me a beer when she saw me come in. Five or six friends are here. Handshakes, hugs and pecks on the cheek with a few, and the USC v, Oregon basketball game is on. I've done a little cleanup here at Head-Fi and am going through a few posts.Later, I'll head home get the laptop and cat on the sofa, and catch up with PMs and read some news, then listen to an album before going to sleep.I've socialized with over 25 people, got some work done, had a couple of drinks, made the cat happy, and have had fun. Saturday brings a family party and I might drive down to the desert since it's a long weekend.These are the things that I enjoy and it all has benefits for others, too. Spending a few hours with a console or computer wouldn't do that. The cat would not be pleased, either. She often gets on the laptop to remind me where my priorities should be. :)Maybe it's a generational thing. I remember life before the Internet and video screens were everywhere. The parents took us to neighborhood parks and the beach constantly. We were encouraged to see friends after school. We actually were turned loose early on, as well. I think I got a bike around seven and was let loose, unsupervised, to roam the city with friends as long as we were back before dark.It seems like kids are supervised and structured to death today. People would never turn a ten year old with a bike loose for several hours after school. Maybe if you're constantly watched gaming is a good outlet. I don't know, society has changed a lot.But if I'm going to waste a little time, I like doing it over a beer and making small talk. I could run lots of games on my computer, but I'd rather come here and exchange with others. And I get a lot of amusement from a cat with a ball of paper.

Interesting you got a lot accomplished to be honest I was into games in my younger teen age days I sold it to a friend and never thought about it again. Then....I had the sudden urge to play so I brought a Xbox and it just felt weird -insert:I would play on and off with the friends every other Saturday- after playing a bit more and being bored....I took it back. I wasn't too happy with this decision but it was cool I felt as if it had got boring....aka a waste of time. About a week ago I had a friend from out of town over who decided to bring his super old PS2 with him. And his cat 
rolleyes.gif
 After playing Hit man I seriously want to buy another console just to keep around whenever I'm bored I seriously got tied up in the game play, mission etc.

Jan 15, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #80 of 248
Depends on the game.  Most console gaming I'd say is hokai.  But once you delve into MMO addiction (which is a very real and scary thing,) gaming becomes a royal waste of time.  I won't go into it unless you want me to, but MMOs can really f your s up.

Jan 15, 2011 at 6:59 AM Post #83 of 248
Quote:
Listening to music is a waste of time. Gaming is a waste of time. Life is a waste of time. Get over it.

You can work when you listen to music. Also songs are only usually about a few minutes long. Video games consume alot more time...

Jan 15, 2011 at 7:35 AM Post #84 of 248
Yeah, that is true.

I wonder how much my grades will suffer and my work will deteriorate if I buy Sid Meier's Civilization 5. I consider myself to be a highly productive person although I tend to be obsessed with work.

Jan 15, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #85 of 248
That's good, but my roommates in college just wouldn't put the games down. I lived in the living room so it really sucked having to hear Call of Duty for like 9 hours...  I always had to leave to study in the 24 hour study rooms. When I took classes with them, I had to drag them there. Needless to say, their grades suffered. If your grades are suffering because of games, then I think there's a problem to fix.

Quote:
Yeah, that is true.

I wonder how much my grades will suffer and my work will deteriorate if I buy Sid Meier's Civilization 5. I consider myself to be a highly productive person although I tend to be obsessed with work.

Jan 15, 2011 at 5:35 PM Post #86 of 248
To tell the truth, I earned a C in my C++ programming course and a D in my Databases course last fall 2010 semester. I did not play computer games whatsoever. I worked too many hours at NJIT. I wound up earning over $2,250.00 USD in less than 4 months because I worked in excess of 35 hours per week.

I probably need to retake those courses because I am a graduate student and I need to earn at least a solid B average to pass a course especially when I enter my graduate degree program.

I will be working this spring 2011 semester, but I will limit myself to 20 hours per week and I will stop working on April 31st, 2011. I am only taking one course which is Operating Systems this upcoming spring 2011 semester.

I may re-think purchasing Civilization 5.

Jan 17, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #88 of 248
Looking back on it, sometimes I do think that it was a waste of time because it slightly got in the way of school work, however, If I could go back and change it, I don't think I would. I have amazing reflexes and I don't know... Just professionally playing video games helped improve my mindset and the way I go about making decisions under pressure or when time isn't completely on my side.

Jan 17, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #90 of 248
in all honesty. i love playing video games. and if you enjoy it i dont think it counts as wasted time. does anyone agree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back