POLL: Free Samples
Oct 11, 2004 at 5:42 PM Post #46 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by flecom
actually i did pay for my bulgin
smily_headphones1.gif

no really i did, it was a biach to find somone that sold the particular one i wanted but i did...

now my 3x 637's i got through sample and im kinda glad becuase i dont like them that much, and i wouldent purchase them again for any other projects

I got raped by Newark for my Bulgins.

-Ed

Oct 12, 2004 at 7:04 PM Post #47 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by kloan
hey, i didnt know they had pre-paid visa in the US! i wonder when those'll come to canada.. a friend of mine is living in london/eng and he uses a visa bank card.. its basically just a bank card, but it looks like a visa, and has a visa number and he uses that where visa is accepted.. that'd be great to have too..
smily_headphones1.gif

Yup. They sell the stored value cards at the information counter at all the local shopping malls. The CVS drugstore around the corner sells 'em too.

Visa debit cards are very common. I don't see many people using cash at the super market.

Oct 12, 2004 at 7:19 PM Post #48 of 53
I've used samples from TI and AD, then bought more. I work in the electronics industry, used to be in the semiconductor industry. I always mark the application for personal use, etc. and only have gotten a few chips, as I don't want to abuse the programs. And always for personal use projects, never for sale.

It was interesting when I got some TI BUF634 samples, and ordered more from Digikey at the same time. They both shipped from the same place <g>.

Oct 12, 2004 at 8:07 PM Post #49 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pars
It was interesting when I got some TI BUF634 samples, and ordered more from Digikey at the same time. They both shipped from the same place <g>.

Digikey handles TI's samples programme. Not sure if it's world-wide, but even the ones to Europe are sent from digikey.
smily_headphones1.gif

/U.

Oct 12, 2004 at 9:00 PM Post #50 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by tangent
some DIYers get parts for personal projects as samples.

Great! I see no problem with that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tangent
I'll call this practice a misuse of the program

Yes, so you say but I think you should be honest and explain why you think this is a "misuse" of the program....... you sell Opamps tangent and of course you are going to be pissed off if TI are giving away free samples to people...... each free sample is one less sale for you...... as I said earlier in this thread it is good business practice for TI to give free samples to "anybody" as the word of mouth free advertising / feedback will benefit them.

I've bought opamps from you so this is not a personal attack on you but where do you get off insinuating that DIY'ers who get free samples are misusing / abusing the samples program?

Let the likes of TI decide how to run their samples program I think they know what they are doing.........

Mike.

EDIT: one thing is certain..... this thread has made people aware that they can get free chips so you may have shot yourself in the foot twice
blink.gif

Oct 13, 2004 at 2:23 AM Post #52 of 53
Quote:

you sell Opamps tangent and of course you are going to be pissed off if TI are giving away free samples to people......

This poll has absolutely nothing to do with my parts business, or even to do with my personal opinion. Yes, I have an opinion, but I challenge you to find that opinion in anything I've posted in this thread. If you care to know my opinion, you'll have to do a search, and then you'll find that I haven't posted it very often. Your best bet is to go digging in the old posts on Headwize, where you'll probably find that the oldest such posts predate the META42. So much for your theory that this has anything to do with my parts sales.

Quote:

where do you get off insinuating that DIY'ers who get free samples are misusing / abusing the samples program?

Why so sensitive, Pinkie?

First, I did not ever say "abusing".

Second, I spent a lot of time thinking before choosing the word "misusing". I only used a word that strong because I couldn't think of a less polarizing one, and because, from the chip companys' perspectives, it's accurate. Come up with a better word before getting all offended.

Oct 13, 2004 at 3:10 AM Post #53 of 53
interesting thread guys but i think anything that can be said on this topic has been covered ,and that thoroughly,so before it becomes silly I am going to close the thread.

If anyone has a serious objection PM me and we will talk.

rick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back