POLL: Free Samples
Oct 10, 2004 at 2:51 PM Post #31 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by tangent
Many manufacturers in the electronics industry have free samples programs where you can get a few parts just by asking.

The sample program is not essentially in place solely for businesses or commercial entities....... When requesting a sample it asks "Select the end equipment category in which the samples will be used" in the drop down menu there is the option "University / school" ......... the next question asks "Please select the application in which these samples will be used" in the drop down menu there is the option "Personal Student Project" the next question is " Please select the type of University/School work in which these samples will be used" in the drop down menu there are many choices including audio projects etc.

Considering there are a lot of students who are members of Head-Fi (possibly quite a lot who are studying electronics) then I see no reason why they should not request free samples...... if TI had a problem with it they would not offer free samples to non commercial entities.

Quote:

The purpose of this program is because the manufacturer knows that if you use their part in a product, they're likely to get an order for thousands or even millions of the part later.

Well, this is not strictly the case..... when you get to the "Select the estimated annual production quantity" drop down menu there are a few choices and one of them is "less than 1000" which could mean your estimated annual production quantity could be "one" unit.

Quote:

Because the manufacturers often don't verify that you are going to use the part in a product, some DIYers get parts for personal projects as samples.

And those same DIY'ers will sing the praises of the Opamp throughout these forums (if it's a good one) which will give any manufacturers, who happen to be reading the forums, a good idea of what opamp sounds good to a large section of DIY'ers....... so, in effect, the manufacturer gets free feedback on what the users consider to be a great opamp and the opamp manufacturer will inevitably benefit from free advertising and free reviews of their opamps so it really is a win win situation for the opamp manufacturer, the DIY'er and the amp manufacturer........ everyone benefits.

Quote:

I'll call this practice a misuse of the program, here.

I'd be inclined to call it a win win situation for all concerned....... unless you happen to be a reseller of TI chips.. in which case you may feel aggrieved that some people receive free samples.

Quote:

I want to find out what the split here is of people using sample programs as they were intended to be used, and those who are misusing it.

TI are well aware of misuse of the sample program..... in their TI sample FAQ they state " TI reserves the right to refuse requests from users who abuse this good-will offer of free samples." I am totally against people who abuse the sample program but, used sensibly, it benefits everybody and TI are well aware of that which is why they run the samples program.

Oct 10, 2004 at 3:55 PM Post #32 of 53
TI,AD,Fairchild,Maxim,National.

I have used all sample programs at one time or another.Never used Linear Technolgy but only because they do not produce many products that i use other than the LT1028 and LT1010 but I DO receive literature from them.The Linear Technology parts manuals weigh in at about 45 pounds !!!!

for me personally the EE mags,EDN,Analog Dialog,product anouncements,data sheets,design manual,Product ?Lineup CDROMs-that is where the REAL action is.

Picking the brains of the big boys is more satisfying for me personally than picking their pockets

Oct 10, 2004 at 4:25 PM Post #33 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
".......Never used Linear Technolgy but only because they do not produce many products that i use other than the LT1028 and LT1010 but I DO receive literature from them.The Linear Technology parts manuals weigh in at about 45 pounds !!!!........"

That was the one that never answered my emails or requests, never, they totally ignored me even when they offer the program (I wanted ot try the 1028 and the 1122)

Oct 10, 2004 at 4:49 PM Post #34 of 53
well I can save you some time with the LT1028.It sucks in low-med gain apps (gain stages up to X10) and kicks butt in high gain apps (X100-X1000).

In other words use it for phono stages,microphone preamps and or tape head preamps but look elsewhere for line level preamps or headphone amp use.It really does not like gains less than 10 and 10 is not all that great !

Just my opinion man

Oct 10, 2004 at 4:59 PM Post #35 of 53
Quote:

well I can save you some time with the LT1028.It sucks in low-med gain apps (gain stages up to X10) and kicks butt in high gain apps (X100-X1000).

In other words use it for phono stages,microphone preamps and or tape head preamps but look elsewhere for line level preamps or headphone amp use.It really does not like gains less than 10 and 10 is not all that great !

Just my opinion man

Hey Rick thanks for your commnet, but I actually managed to try it later, thanks to ppl.....What happen was that I received an strong reco to use it for the PPA. So following this reco, I was trying to get it, through this sample program, and finally got it later in the PPL OP rolling it, and honestly Rick, if it wasn't for the hiss it developed, it worked very nice in the PPA configuration, better IMO than all the AD's I tried (about 4 options including the raved 8610), and some others....I tried most of the OPAmps that could be used in the PPA, socketed or not, in brown-dogs or any other kind, direct replacements, and among them the OPA637/627 is hard to beat....for my taste of course....
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Oct 10, 2004 at 5:06 PM Post #36 of 53
not trying to be a pain but saying "if not for the hiss it sounded fine" is like saying "if not for that flat tire i would have been going really really fast"
biggrin.gif

in my opinion there are far better choices for low to medium gain applications but only a handfull of chips work as well in low noise/high gain apps

Oct 10, 2004 at 5:14 PM Post #37 of 53
Quote:

not trying to be a pain but saying "if not for the hiss it sounded fine" is like saying "if not for that flat tire i would have been going really really fast"
biggrin.gif

in my opinion there are far better choices for low to medium gain applications but only a handfull of chips work as well in low noise/high gain apps

LOL....well it is true, and I'm talking about this particular application, my PPA, and with my configuration, maybe with other it will sound different, that was why I tried all of them, trying to get the more synergistic one for my personal taste. But what I was trying to say, is that the sound was good, balanced and I liked the overall presentation...the hiss well I have recordings with more hiss than that, and nobody had complaint.....LOL...

Oct 11, 2004 at 2:05 AM Post #38 of 53
I am currently a student living on an income of around $8000/yr that is used to cover everything except the rent for my apartment and my tuition. Money is fairly tight, partly because I have a lot of expensive hobbies (cycling, computers, headphones, etc.) I got free samples from TI and AD to use in my Mint and Pimeta. I listed that I was a student and that this was for a personal project. If they did not want to provide me with free parts then they did not have to.

I do not consider my ordering samples abuse. However, if I had a well paying job and did not consider myself poor then I probably would not use samples. Ordering samples for the purpose of selling them is wrong in my opinion. Selling an amp you built for yourself that happens to include samples is not so bad.

Oct 11, 2004 at 2:22 AM Post #39 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
For small inexpensive parts, it is most definitely worthwhile for manufacturers to send out samples. Even those who are only using it for a hobby project will remember that part. And if/when they come around to a professional project, guess which part they will remember?

But abuse does happen. coughBulginSwitchcough

-Ed

actually i did pay for my bulgin
smily_headphones1.gif

no really i did, it was a biach to find somone that sold the particular one i wanted but i did...

now my 3x 637's i got through sample and im kinda glad becuase i dont like them that much, and i wouldent purchase them again for any other projects

Oct 11, 2004 at 5:33 AM Post #41 of 53
We in singapore are desperately looking for AD chips localy, but couldn't find any electronic distributor (Farnell, RS Components, local shops, etc) that sell them. I'm talking about AD8610/8620 and AD8065/8066. And students don't have credit card to make an online purchase. So no other way than to order sample for personal project.

Oct 11, 2004 at 4:43 PM Post #42 of 53
Quote:

... I'll call this practice a misuse of the program, here.

I always use my University buisness address and clearly state that I'm an academic user when requesting samples. Sometimes I'm turned down. If not, I take advantage of free samples offered. I use samples both at my University job and for projects at home.

Oct 11, 2004 at 4:46 PM Post #43 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by bpribadi
And students don't have credit card to make an online purchase.

Are prepaid Visa available in Singapore? Here in the US we can go out and buy a 'stored value' Visa card at a local store. You pay about $1.50 more than the value on the card. Card works nearly anywhere Visa is accepted.

Will come in handy for parts like the MAT02 that are not sampled and generaly not stocked by distributers.

Oct 11, 2004 at 5:15 PM Post #44 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewFischer
Are prepaid Visa available in Singapore? Here in the US we can go out and buy a 'stored value' Visa card at a local store. You pay about $1.50 more than the value on the card. Card works nearly anywhere Visa is accepted.

Those certainly don't exist in Belgium. To have a visa card, you'd better be a serious client of the bank : serious deposit on your account and guaranted income
eek.gif

Oct 11, 2004 at 5:37 PM Post #45 of 53
hey, i didnt know they had pre-paid visa in the US! i wonder when those'll come to canada.. a friend of mine is living in london/eng and he uses a visa bank card.. its basically just a bank card, but it looks like a visa, and has a visa number and he uses that where visa is accepted.. that'd be great to have too..
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back