POLL: Free Samples
Oct 9, 2004 at 5:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

tangent

Top Mall-Fi poster. The T in META42.
Formerly with Tangentsoft Parts Store
Many manufacturers in the electronics industry have free samples programs where you can get a few parts just by asking. The purpose of this program is because the manufacturer knows that if you use their part in a product, they're likely to get an order for thousands or even millions of the part later.

Because the manufacturers often don't verify that you are going to use the part in a product, some DIYers get parts for personal projects as samples. I'll call this practice a misuse of the program, here.

This is an anonymous poll, and I'm not asking for anyone to comment on it. (Though of course you can!) I want to find out what the split here is of people using sample programs as they were intended to be used, and those who are misusing it.

I'm posting this poll purely to get information, so I'm not going to give my personal opinion on this matter here. If you want to know it, do a search.

Oct 9, 2004 at 6:16 PM Post #3 of 53
I dont do it personally but via my university. We get free samples of ICs, Servos, multiprocessors, cpu, ram, monitors, projectors etc.

I swipe the free stuff that is not required or not swiped by the senior members of my department...usually IC's, PC Cards, etc. and use what I can, throw what I cant use.

I dont use anything for commercial purposes and therefore it is not illegal. Less than 5% of all my swipes end up in a working project so I dont feel guilty about it...

Oct 9, 2004 at 6:22 PM Post #4 of 53
Can't you use the chips serial number to find out which batch they came from? Whether samples or bought from a retailer? Simply put, I refuse to believe the sheer amount of people on the forums that have uber-expensive chips 'just laying' around for sale or 'opamp rolling' their amps because their spending habits on headphones or sources leads me to believe they wouldn't spend such money these said chips. Manufacturers need to change how people recieve samples. Mainly sending in a design proposal or calling to answer some questions prior.
rolleyes.gif

Oct 9, 2004 at 6:34 PM Post #5 of 53
It is unethical in my opinion to solicit free samples then turn around and later sell them IMO. When I was doing development work my mail would be full of unsolicited and solicited samples almost every week. What sounds like a great deal turns into a real mess after a while. What we did not use we would either give away or discard. I always tried to remember that the person sending me the samples was also trying to make a living and it never seemed right to profit from them.

Oct 9, 2004 at 6:56 PM Post #6 of 53
I have in the past aquired free samples but these were for evaluation/comparison purposes and meant for commercial
products,not personal use.Designing a piece of equipment geared to a certain price point and with a definate target end user means a lot of man hours on the bench swapping parts and modifying on the fly.

the samples and the rapid delivery are essential for a smooth transition during the protoyping stage (especially in digital work ,ADC/DAC/CODEC designs) and is a win/win situation if all parties are honorable.The engineer gets the design down to the final prototype without undue delays in waiting for the parts and the semiconductor manufacturer will get the sales either directly or through an authorised distributor if the design is a successful one.

but as in most things there will always be those wanting a free ride.Not because they can not afford to purchase the part but simply because they can !

these are the same folks you see at the "free samples" counter at the supermarket who go back five and six times.I don't begrudge a starving person food but i DO have a problem when that person leaves the market and gets in his jaguar !

Like most priveledges-if abused it will go bye bye and those who rely on the service will be the ones who suffer

and that folks is just flat out not fair to the student or the engineer who would have to go back to the old "order and wait" game only to find out after working up the circuit it is not what is required for the end product

Oct 9, 2004 at 7:31 PM Post #7 of 53
The way I see it, I willing to pay for pots or caps or boards, so I don't think the ICs should be any different. If something's too expensive, I don't use it (or more likely, buy for it anyway
smily_headphones1.gif
). If I were to request free samples of an IC, it'd be for testing purposes rather than upgrades, and I'd be sure to post my impressions of it here so that the company's getting at least a little something out of it.

Oct 9, 2004 at 8:21 PM Post #8 of 53
From my 11 years at TI, in the engineering and business ends, there isn't enough volume within this segment of the community to make any material difference. If it ever does, some minimal charge will be implemented. The overriding factor is that the true manufacturers are carrying the freight, and everything else is goodwill. Smaller manufacturers may be more efficient in their inventory control, but, on balance, this is just an accepted cost of doing business

And, the actual "cost" to TI for an $11 retail opamp would most likely be less than $1. If you ever buy another of that part, they still have a successful transaction, because you have still paid them (through a retailer) more than the manufacturer did at the 50k, 100k, or 1m unit price level break.

I was constantly amazed how much excess semicinductor inventory we ground up to keep from paying import duty on, since I did both product costing and reconciled final customs duties.

All that said, I wouldn't know what to do with the samples, and only ever buy the parts I need for a dedicated project.

Oct 9, 2004 at 8:43 PM Post #9 of 53
years back National Semiconductor had a manufacturing plant here where I live (right of center
evil_smiley.gif
) and parts were all over the place : closets,dashboard of cars,boxes full in the attic....

A couple of years ago someone came across a box of chips and knowing i like to 'tinker" they gave the box of parts to me.

to my surprise it was full of LH0033 buffer chips !

These puppies were so old the box was brown from age (originally white) and the conductive foam was actually crumbling !
eek.gif

And the buffers are not the cheasy plastic pack but the much higher quality ceramic pack ! Veeery nice part.

I ended up with about thirty chips and i am still kicking myself for letting the majority go .I assembled and to freinds line drivers and headphone amps made with the chips.Sadly for me at least I am down to only four and they are performing headphone driver duties.

But the real gem in this find was a pair of LH0063 buffers.Big *ss TO-XX (can't remember the #) cans PLUS the sockets AND two pre-drilled heat sinks to mount them.No sissy heat sinks either but 4X5X1.5 inch heatsinkasauruses !

Too damn cool for humans !

Never mounted them in any kind of a chasis,never had the heart to hide these beauties away from public view.And they are so good at so many things that a permanant cicuit is also out of the question.

Instead i mounted the assemblies on a stained hardwood board and brought all the contact points out to a board mounted barrier strip so i could just use the stereo pair as a "universal buffer module".

I just enjoy playing with them in various configurations !

And neither buffer is anything like our modern devices.They use almost as much juice as the put out.

Class-A baby !

no 250ma for 5ma of supply power here folks.Juice in=juice out !

just thought i would share and seemed like a good break from the topic.

BTW-i still haunt localrummage sales looking for the elusive "second box" of buffers i just know are out there somewhere waiting for me to rescue them

smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 9, 2004 at 8:53 PM Post #10 of 53
I got free samples because I'm broke and can't afford to be buying parts that I may or may not be able to use in the future. I don't see the harm in getting 8 free chips to use for personal projects, for me.. because if they work out then I'm going to start using them in something I'm designing.. in which case I would then order/purchase wholesale. The poll didn't get my vote because there aren't enough options in there. I get free samples for personal use, with future purchases in mind, but would not sell the free ones. If I'm hurting TI's profits and taking unfair advantage of their program, then I'll stop.

And to add to that, if anyone needs 1x OPA627 and/or 1x OPA637, PM me and I'll mail one or both to you.. if you read my thread then you'll know why...
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 9, 2004 at 9:01 PM Post #11 of 53
hey man,you could always use the single 627 as an artificial ground circuit for a battery powered headphone amp and the 637 would make a seriously nice microphone preamp stage with a balanced transformer input.

or even use both in a single mic pre and use one for a DC servo

Just a suggestion dude

Oct 9, 2004 at 10:23 PM Post #13 of 53
To facilitate the sourcing of parts (the "Belgian sister" companies of the big ones like RS or Farnell refuse to ship to private persons
frown.gif
), I'm ordering some samples from time to time. I just fixed myself two limits : not twice the same parts, not more than needed.

And of course no samples in something I'd sell. This going without saying.
rolleyes.gif

Oct 9, 2004 at 11:52 PM Post #14 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by 00940
I just fixed myself two limits : not twice the same parts, not more than needed.

I have set myself similar limits:
1. Only use samples if local supply is difficult.
2. Only ask for what I need, (plus 1 spare)
3. Try and use them before asking for more.
3. Only ask one or twice a year.
4. Help promote the manufacture by mentioning their products at any opportunity. (e.g. those LM3875s are good
biggrin.gif
)
5. Buy products from manufactures that support me.

and lastly:

6. Answer all questions and emails honestly and let the manufacture decide if I should get them or not.

I don't see a problem using samples if:
1. Everything is above board, no lies.
2. Samples are not resold.
3. Appreciate the manufacturers' generosity.
4. Promote the product if it is good.
5. Not abused - don't be greedy.

Thanks
Greg

Oct 10, 2004 at 1:41 AM Post #15 of 53
i have used the sample programs many time to get parts that im using for personal projects

parts arnt easily obtainable at times in australia, and if they are sold it is usualy at a very high premium (needed some tle2426's and are $1.30 from mouser but they were backordered, while costing nearly $8 here and i was after 7 of them at the time, i ended up asking tangent for some when i got other stuff from him)

i've never sold parts from free samples, but have given some away for free to friends to use when they needed them

now im an engineering student, and one day hope to put in orders with these guy's for +100,000's but for now its just a hobby

Users who are viewing this thread

Back