Poll: Closest to Perfect Bass...
Jan 14, 2009 at 8:08 PM Post #46 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isn't the L3000 the undisputed champion in bass? Of all the phones I had heard the Edition 9 is easily the winner as far as bass goes. Anyway of the phones you list the D2000 has my favorite bass, even though it's not fit to hang out with the best.

Not undisputed. The L3000's bass is good, but I prefer my modded W2002's bass. The W2002 extends deeper and yet retains pretty amazing texture and speed with the slightly elevated overall amount of bass it has. Yes, modding my W2002 made the bass stand out a lot more, it's not exactly as bright as it was stock.
It's actually the best bass (deep bass, kickbass and midbass combined) I've heard so far, the best compromise of all extremes if you will.

Jan 14, 2009 at 8:48 PM Post #47 of 95
No actually I had a chance to talk to someone at work who had the DT770 and he brought in his setup, with a decent AMP, a Meier Audio, and I personally found the bass too much. Its not for me, I would categorize them as fart cans. But like I said above, perfect bass is relative.

Quote:

Originally Posted by intoart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They have to be parroting opinions read elsewhere. Nobody who has actually heard them (with decent amplification, of course), could possibly think that.

Last night, I was listening to a bowed acoustic bass on mine (powered by Little Dot I+). Since I used to play in a string orchestra, I know exactly what that instrument sounds like, and this was by far the most perfect rendition of it that I have ever heard on any stereo system.

Jan 14, 2009 at 8:50 PM Post #48 of 95
Double Post: Different topic for Bass.

I just want to say my favorite album for bass is:

Massive Attack: Mezzanine.

Jan 14, 2009 at 9:45 PM Post #49 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnothingpoetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Edition 9 comes to mind with being one of the few headphones where the bass jumped out and amazed me. It was crazy tight and had great punch and depth to it. It almost never got lost in complicated passages but also never really overpowered the other frequencies.

Hehehe, This is the magic of the ED9 Huge bass big low mid, and still feel balance...

Jan 15, 2009 at 12:44 AM Post #51 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkpanther /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another vote for the GS-1000 -- Tight and deep on the right amp.

Under $1000.... hmmm

Oh hold on! Found a couple places that sell for under 1k U.S ugh. So fair call.

Jan 15, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #52 of 95
I think there is a big difference between accurate and "good" bass. I take "good" bass to mean sonically pleasing, i.e. it pleases me more to listen to bass on headphone A than headphone B. Accurate, on the other hand, means headphone A more closely matches what one would hear live, i.e. without the compromises of amplification and playback. For instance hearing a live gunshot versus a recording of a gunshot. A pair of headphones that accurately reproduces bass would sound very similar to the live gunshot.

Ok, with that having been said... I would say that the headphones that reproduces the most pleasing bass would be the RS-1s. That is to say that the bass is fast, punchy, has really great impact and gets the foot taping. As far as accuracy goes, I haven't heard a pair of headphones that really accurately reproduces bass, in part because the nature of low frequency sound has as much of a pressure effect on one's body as vibrating one's eardrum. In order to compensate for this most headphones increase the bass response to fool the listener into hearing more realistic bass.

If you are really looking for a full on bass response (though greatly exaggerated) then nothing beats the GS1000. They even put my HP-DX1000s to shame. Of course, it was way too much bass for me. I found the GS1000s to have recessed mids and that lack of detail would lead me to turn up the volume ultimately resulting in far too much bass. Of course that's just my personal preference.

Jan 15, 2009 at 9:01 AM Post #53 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by PuffyElvis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In order to compensate for this most headphones increase the bass response to fool the listener into hearing more realistic bass.

If you are really looking for a full on bass response (though greatly exaggerated) then nothing beats the GS1000. They even put my HP-DX1000s to shame. Of course, it was way too much bass for me. I found the GS1000s to have recessed mids and that lack of detail would lead me to turn up the volume ultimately resulting in far too much bass. Of course that's just my personal preference.

Yes, exactly. Headphones need to actually emphasize the bass in order to portray a realistic reproduction of it-- this is because the bass from a subwoofer, those sound waves, will hit your body and will reach your eardrum/cochlea from outside your ear canal. And this doesn't even mention the whole psycho-acoustic aspect of needing to emphasize the bass due to the felt sound waves, as though they were occupying the space/soundstage.

GS1000s are crap imho. They are more U-shaped than any headphone i am aware of (and the bass doesn't even go below 100hz).

Jan 15, 2009 at 9:05 AM Post #54 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shingetsu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is "perfect" bass. I think perfect is relative.

Personaly i like deep DEEP almost even bloated bass. I also Like Punchy bass, and also like accurate inside your eardrum bass. I could name a bunch of cans.

But just go for the L3000s. lol

Absolutely, hence the poll. BUT, there is something to be said for averages in statistics...
wink.gif

The idea, of course, is to pick one, or none, or something not listed

Jan 15, 2009 at 9:08 AM Post #55 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can objective data tell how good the bass response is of a product? no way. only actual hearing for itself can be the defining method. the denons are bloated. sony sa5000 and ety er4s extends lower and have cleaner sounding bass but they dont sound natural at all.

Certainly it's not as simple as this... the balance obviously matters too, otherwise you wouldn't be able to turn up the bass sufficiently before your ears started to bleed from the sibilance. However, when I asked what one considers the ideal bass, it obviously factors this in (in real-world/practical listening terms).

Do you have proof regarding the sonys and ety? Edit: looking at ety's site, it may be the case that they can respond that low, however, they are ludicrously bright, so, in practice, it doesn't matter as the bass isn't present under actual listening.

Jan 15, 2009 at 9:17 AM Post #56 of 95
Regarding the whole frequency response graph issue-- I firmly believe that what you see (in the graph) is what you'll get/hear within a reasonable degree of accuracy.

People who feel that the subjective experience of a sound signature differs substantially from the graph, I feel, are not reading the graph properly. It's about the balance. One cannot look at, say, 60hz and say, "oh can x goes to 30db, but can y goes to 10, so can x is more bassy...", no, no, no, this isn't how it works at all. One must look at the relative balance between the different sound levels (lows, mids, highs) of a can's sound signature to determine the relevant sound that you will hear.

Jan 15, 2009 at 9:30 AM Post #57 of 95
Also, some songs are designed to make your full system respond dramatically to the bass (i.e., make that 'boomy' sound/effect). This of course means that if your headphones don't respond appropriately (even if you don't like the effect), then they are not reference phones...

Jan 15, 2009 at 9:35 AM Post #59 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by djayjp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Certainly it's not as simple as this... the balance obviously matters too, otherwise you wouldn't be able to turn up the bass sufficiently before your ears started to bleed from the sibilance. However, when I asked what one considers the ideal bass, it obviously factors this in (in real-world/practical listening terms).

Do you have proof regarding the sonys and ety? Edit: looking at ety's site, it may be the case that they can respond that low, however, they are ludicrously bright, so, in practice, it doesn't matter as the bass isn't present under actual listening.

Did you try the foam inserts?

Jan 15, 2009 at 9:49 AM Post #60 of 95
HD650 from the options...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back