Poll: Closest to Perfect Bass...
Jan 14, 2009 at 5:43 AM Post #17 of 95
What kind of bass are we talking about? Amplified bass guitars, electronica, that sort of thing?

If you want acoustic bass - tympani drums, upright bass, tubas - the best I've heard is the AKG K-501, the AKG K-1000 and the Beyerdynamic DT48.

No kidding.

Their bass is deep, tight and accurate, yet they all sound anemic when I play something like Depeche Mode's Violator. But the typical basshead cans can never get the Bill Evans Trio right.

If I want electric/amplified bass, I usually turn to the Sennheiser HD-650 or the speakers (ProAc Response 2.5 clones or ESS AMT-1).

Jan 14, 2009 at 5:54 AM Post #18 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by dallan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where is my DX1000 on there? Yes totally satisfied w/ the bass on them, when i go back to my HD-650s the bass goes away.

They're $1000...

Jan 14, 2009 at 6:05 AM Post #19 of 95
none of those, Pro750 for me after the cotton mod. even without the mod, they would still remain my top choice just for bass.

Jan 14, 2009 at 6:51 AM Post #20 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by djayjp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I must admit that I am utterly dumbfounded about your selection of the rs1; it doesn't even reach 60hz
confused_face(1).gif
(ok, it technically does, but that's like saying $10 earphones reach 20hz :p).

Hehehe, RS-1 have a quality bass...
wink_face.gif

Jan 14, 2009 at 7:12 AM Post #23 of 95
Quote:

Yes, I would have included the GS1000 on the list, but it's $1000 and I feel that all the other grado's have obviously deficient bass imho (which I can back up with freq. response measurements). As for the ultrasones, I simply am unqualified regarding their lineup, but the high end ones that people seem to think are good re. bass are all well over $1000.

Some hardcore ED9 fans here have said that HFI-780 ~170€ come very close in SQ...maybe even too close. I don't know for sure since i haven't tried ED9 yet (and probably never will) but i did tried HFI-780 and it has really good bass IMO. Too bad i don't like the rest enough to buy it.

Quote:

I must admit that I am utterly dumbfounded about your selection of the rs1; it doesn't even reach 60hz
confused_face(1).gif
(ok, it technically does, but that's like saying $10 earphones reach 20hz :p).

As for RS1, well i had them and MS Pros (stock pads) for testing a couple of weeks ago. I needed a can to use unamped and i wanted to see which to chose. Liked them both but slightly preferred MS Pro even though i liked the bass on RS1 more. I don't know what graphs you having but i didn't find them bass deficient at all, and totally capable of going deeper than 60hz (tested 40hz and they sounded fine, i didn't needed deeper testing for my purpose so i can't tell for sure).

Jan 14, 2009 at 10:07 AM Post #24 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by NajoBB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i did tried HFI-780 and it has really good bass IMO. Too bad i don't like the rest enough to buy it.

Hmmm..., intriguing. Could you tell me what you found to be wrong with the 780s? Sound? Comfort?

I don't know what graphs you having but i didn't find them bass deficient at all, and totally capable of going deeper than 60hz (tested 40hz and they sounded fine, i didn't needed deeper testing for my purpose so i can't tell for sure).

Check it out over at headroom.. it's all there. Sure, it technically 'responds' down to 60hz, but so do radiocraps :p. Ok, so for the rs1's there's a 5db drop at 60 and a 12db drop at 20hz, from the peak at 100hz-- the peak of a sound signature naturally will dominate or emphasize that particular sound-- 100hz is the the upper bass, so it can noticeably encroach upon and muddy the mids... basically, it's like completely removing the subwoofer from your virtual system and cranking up the upper bass in your speakers. And if that's not bad enough, the rs1's crank up the highs a full 10db's than the balanced, more flat sennys (and many other reference phones). As I'm sure you know, humans perceive a 4db drop as being fully half as loud. I'm quite honestly shocked at the number of 'audiophiles' who don't seem to know what a full system is supposed to sound like (you know, with a real, actual bottom end-- i.e., subwoofer-- the foundation of any good, flat, responsive sound).

Jan 14, 2009 at 10:23 AM Post #25 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
none of those listed have anything near perfect bass. the best bass contenders are akg k1000, stax sr007, and grado hp2

Could you back this up with some objective data? I think not
wink.gif
I often find that people think their headphones sound as good as the amount of dough they dropped on them and/or how nice they look, especially when it comes to the slight, incremental gains one can expect past $200-300 (well, actually $20-300 if you include the sportapros
wink.gif
).... I fully doubt that any phones can significantly better the bottom end response of the d2000s/5000s

Jan 14, 2009 at 12:52 PM Post #26 of 95
Quote:

Check it out over at headroom.. it's all there. Sure, it technically 'responds' down to 60hz, but so do radiocraps :p. Ok, so for the rs1's there's a 5db drop at 60 and a 12db drop at 20hz, from the peak at 100hz-- the peak of a sound signature naturally will dominate or emphasize that particular sound-- 100hz is the the upper bass, so it can noticeably encroach upon and muddy the mids... basically, it's like completely removing the subwoofer from your virtual system and cranking up the upper bass in your speakers. And if that's not bad enough, the rs1's crank up the highs a full 10db's than the balanced, more flat sennys (and many other reference phones). As I'm sure you know, humans perceive a 4db drop as being fully half as loud. I'm quite honestly shocked at the number of 'audiophiles' who don't seem to know what a full system is supposed to sound like (you know, with a real, actual bottom end-- i.e., subwoofer-- the foundation of any good, flat, responsive sound).

OK, i see you're "reading" the graphs well, but you need to realize that they are useful to some degree. Try comparing HD595 and K81DJ for example. On graph they have very similar bass response. In reality (had both) K81DJ apart from being much more bass heavy, they actually go deeper. Judging by graph only is not a very good thing, i learned the hard way.
As for senns (i assume you've meant high-end 5xx and 6xx models): if they have flat treble, i hate flat treble. Not to mention their bass quality. I didn't try them balanced with some nice 5000$ amp and similarly priced DAC though since i have only X-Can V8 right now, so my opinion about them is debatable.

Oh yeah, about HFI-780: back when i tested them i had to chose from them and D2000 as my main and only full size can. I didn't like the comfort (too tight for my rather large head), highs were too harsh on a good part of songs i was testing them with, and soundstage wasn't all that great as they advertise with that "revolutionary" s-logic. But when i think about them again, i might actually buy them some day just because the bass and they're very good priced for what they offer overall. Treble is good for some types of music and i may try to bend the headband. Not anytime soon though, i already have/on order too many cans.
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 14, 2009 at 1:20 PM Post #27 of 95
Other -> Stax SR-007(BL)
Deep, tight and very accurate bass performance. 9.5/10

Jan 14, 2009 at 1:28 PM Post #28 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Other -> Stax SR-007(BL)
Deep, tight and very accurate bass performance. 9.5/10

In about 3-4 years I'll probably verify that one for myself
biggrin.gif

Jan 14, 2009 at 1:30 PM Post #29 of 95
Other: DT150, excellent bass, both in quality and quantity.

Jan 14, 2009 at 1:43 PM Post #30 of 95
can objective data tell how good the bass response is of a product? no way. only actual hearing for itself can be the defining method. the denons are bloated. sony sa5000 and ety er4s extends lower and have cleaner sounding bass but they dont sound natural at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back