[Poll] Best Headphone's Under $200
Aug 21, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #121 of 270
Quote:

The bias that people have when they own a product--more people own M50s than DT990s.

That's usually what happens. Turns into a "which one do you own?" poll.

Aug 22, 2012 at 4:14 AM Post #123 of 270
You need to choose a pair based on the kind of music you like and how loud you listen, not what other people like using (unless they listen to similar music to you). 
smile.gif

Aug 22, 2012 at 5:12 AM Post #125 of 270
Some hi-fi stores have headphones on display. What kind of music do you like?

Aug 22, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #127 of 270
Let me HURRY up in saying I just got a like new DT990 32ohm today. ($197 on Amazon warehouse deals).

This one is BETTER than the 990 Pros, and may actually be better balanced than the 990/600 ohm. The 990/600 has more treble presence to me due to a less present bass. The 32ohm has a slightly slower bass which aids the treble from being too screechy.

Sigh, all this time, people consistently dismissing lower ohm 990s, because of one person's opinion, when in reality, the 32ohm may have actually had more synergy with their equipment, not to mention it sounds 95% the same with slightly less clear treble, which may actually be a blessing.

Aug 22, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #128 of 270
Quote:
Let me HURRY up in saying I just got a like new DT990 32ohm today. ($197 on Amazon warehouse deals).
This one is BETTER than the 990 Pros, and may actually be better balanced than the 990/600 ohm. The 990/600 has more treble presence to me due to a less present bass. The 32ohm has a slightly slower bass which aids the treble from being too screechy.
Sigh, all this time, people consistently dismissing lower ohm 990s, because of one person's opinion, when in reality, the 32ohm may have actually had more synergy with their equipment, not to mention it sounds 95% the same with slightly less clear treble, which may actually be a blessing.

I really like those phones, but since I don't own my Denon's anymore they just make me miss the sound so I had to trade em in.

Aug 25, 2012 at 3:52 AM Post #130 of 270
Quote:
Quote:
Some hi-fi stores have headphones on display. What kind of music do you like?

the only Hi-fi stores near me are dick smith and JB Hi-fi but they don't have any on display :/ and i like all types of music. from akon to adele, rick ross to ricky martin, lol

We'll forgive you. 
biggrin.gif

You need to find a proper hi-fi store, not a JB Hi-Fi, that isn't proper. I don't know what stores are still running in Sydney, but if you search the Yellow Pages online for hi-fi in Sydney and check their web sites, you may find that some of the ones that sell the crazy-expensive exotic stuff also have a few pairs of headphones on display you can try out.  

Unfortunately you just missed Can Con 2 in Sydney by a week. You should keep an eye out in the Meets forum for further ones in Sydney.

Aug 25, 2012 at 5:05 AM Post #131 of 270
Quote:

We'll forgive you. 
biggrin.gif

You need to find a proper hi-fi store, not a JB Hi-Fi, that isn't proper. I don't know what stores are still running in Sydney, but if you search the Yellow Pages online for hi-fi in Sydney and check their web sites, you may find that some of the ones that sell the crazy-expensive exotic stuff also have a few pairs of headphones on display you can try out.  

Unfortunately you just missed Can Con 2 in Sydney by a week. You should keep an eye out in the Meets forum for further ones in Sydney.

ok ill try n find some, thnkx

Aug 27, 2012 at 4:45 AM Post #133 of 270
Quote:

I have the J3 and GR07s also, and an E17, but I don't use the amp on the go. I listen to mostly classic jazz and rock, and a lot of my music is from MFSL, who do a nice job with master recordings. Some stuff I think you'd enjoy based on sound and the fact that we have nearly the same gear is:

Alice In Chains: Unplugged
Santana: Caravanserai (MFSL)
Hans Zimmer: Inception and The Dark Knight Rises OST
Cowboy Junkies: Whites Off Earth Now! (MFSL)
Beck: Sea Change
David Crosby: If Only I Could Remember My Name...(MFSL)
Dvorak: Piano Concerto in G Minor (MFSL)
Muddy Waters: Folk Singer (MFSL)
Steely Dan - pretty much everything sounds great
The Who: Live At Leeds and Quadrophenia (MFSL)
XTC: Skylarking (MFSL)
John Coltrane: Blue Train (MFSL)
David Gilmour: (self-titled) (MFSL)
Norah Jones: Come Away With Me

Some of mine may not be your cup of tea, but I can assure you that these all sound fantastic out of a J3 and through GR07s. Could you recommend some stellar-sounding recordings from your stuff? I'm always on the hunt for more good music...

Well, the production on my latest infatuation isn't especially great, but the album itself absolutely monumental.

"Jane Doe" by Converge. I warn you, if you dare listen to it; it is not lightweight stuff and it is very, very inaccessible. I'll just redirect you to this, because it says it better than I can:
http://www.sputnikmusic.com/blog/?p=2182

Just scroll down to #1

Aug 27, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #134 of 270
Quote:
Well, the production on my latest infatuation isn't especially great, but the album itself absolutely monumental.

"Jane Doe" by Converge. I warn you, if you dare listen to it; it is not lightweight stuff and it is very, very inaccessible. I'll just redirect you to this, because it says it better than I can:
http://www.sputnikmusic.com/blog/?p=2182

Just scroll down to #1

I gave it a chance but I'll have to file in under "unlistenable." It's just not my bag...the review was pretty funny, though.

Aug 27, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #135 of 270
Quote:
I gave it a chance but I'll have to file in under "unlistenable." It's just not my bag...the review was pretty funny, though.

That's how it was for me for about the first dozen or so plays (it its entirety), but now I can't stop listening to it. The write-up is pretty much spot on though: for all its muteness it manages to speak volumes more than lyrics ever could. The best albums are always growers and in my experience, the harder an album is to get into, the better it is and the more impact it has. There's a reason it's so highly regarded by so many people, it just takes awhile to figure out why.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back