Poll: ad700 vs hd555
Jun 10, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #136 of 157
i own both the ad700 and hd555. i like the ad700 better. hd555 is good though.

ive been playing red dead redemption with the ad700s (single player). It sounds great.

Jun 10, 2010 at 5:52 PM Post #137 of 157

Quote:
Different strokes for different folks. We neglect to remember that regardless of whats on paper, anything dealing with sensory functions is ALWAYS subjective because everyone's auditory perception is different.

With that being said does the all around performance of the 555s justify the higher price tag?

For only $10-20 more. . .yes, IMO.

Jun 10, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #139 of 157
ONLY way it is not worth the extra money is if you are only gaming. . .otherwise, why not pay $10-20 extra to get all around headphones where you might lose 5-10% but gain 50-60% more in every other area.  If not, then you would need to buy another pair of headphones for separate things ultimately costing you over double in the end. . .let's see. . .$100-110 for overall enjoyment from one headphone, or $200+ for two sets of headphones to maybe gain a total of 10% over the HD555's by themselves?

Jun 10, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #140 of 157

Quote:
i bite my tongue and let them say what they want, i already come off as too much of an AD700 fanboy... i enjoy them with quite a bit of music. many people have sennheiser so far up their butt they're afraid to even fathom that something else costing less could be better.

Usually if something is too good to be true, it's not.  Companies and products gain a reputation for good quality products and all for a reason.  Most of the time, the people that buy something cheaper and say it is better are just trying to justify the money they have spent.  If product A is better than product B, then the company owning product A can and will charge more for it over than product B.  The reason something is cheaper is because that is one way from the business side to maintain good sells of their product.  If product B was better than product A, then that company would raise the price of product B because they know they could get that money.  So, if they could charge more, then they would, but the bottom line is, there is a reason they constantly keep the price of the AD700's lower than the HD555's.  Ever noticed how the prices of the AD700's always drops after they drop the price of the HD555's?

With that being said, the ONLY thing the AD700's are equal to, or maybe slightly better than (obviously will vary slightly from person to person) is the gaming aspect.  Period.

Jun 10, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #141 of 157
Lol, i thought we already established that neither the HD555 nor the AD700 are better than one another in a sense, except when referring to gaming, in which the AD700 are better by a longshot. It's all about sound signature preference. I don't like sennheiser's neutrality, others don't like AD700's open and airy feeling. I don't think you can really say, unless referring to general specifications and aural readings that one is "better" than another. And by aural readings I mean logistics charts.

Jun 10, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #142 of 157

Quote:
Lol, i thought we already established that neither the HD555 nor the AD700 are better than one another in a sense, except when referring to gaming, in which the AD700 are better by a longshot. It's all about sound signature preference. I don't like sennheiser's neutrality, others don't like AD700's open and airy feeling. I don't think you can really say, unless referring to general specifications and aural readings that one is "better" than another. And by aural readings I mean logistics charts.

Unfortunately, the "sound signature" excuse can not save the AD700s overall performance as a headphone.

Jun 10, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #143 of 157
I think people here forget that this is all purely subjective. All this back and forth bantering ain't going to get anywhere.

As it stands, the AD700s are loved here more than the 555, and this is coming from users who use both. By majority vote, the AD700 wins. Are they better? Depends on who you ask. Blitzkrieg is obviously going to defend the 555s till death, but it won't take him anywhere trying to convince anyone else that they are better than the AD700. The same can be said about the AD700 users. We will all continue to recommend headphones we have used and loved. That's the end of that.

Jun 10, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #144 of 157
YMMV. Everything is subjective. The end. I want a cookie.

Jun 15, 2010 at 1:26 AM Post #146 of 157
I happen to think that the k701s are one of the sweetest if not sweetest lookin' cans out there. I've got the 702s for practical reasons, but if the 701s had the detachable cord and replaceable pads, I'd go for 'em in less than a heartbeat. not that I ain't happy with the look of the 702s though. and yes, I'm asian. lol.

Jun 15, 2010 at 8:13 PM Post #147 of 157
I have just wasted way too much of my evening cleaning up this thread.  If you want to post off topic, go to the members' lounge.  On a more serious front, many of the posts deleted contained language that is 100% against head-fi rules, and all of you have been around long enough to know better.  If you want to act like immature idiots, go elsewhere.  If any one of you who has had a post deleted in this thread cannot be respectful enough to think before pressing "submit,"  then you will not be allowed to post at all.  I'm not going to waste any more of my time individually pm'ing warnings.  Consider yourself formally warned.  

If this thread goes off topic again, it will be removed.

Jun 16, 2010 at 6:56 AM Post #148 of 157
Honestly I've seen far worse threads not get axed. And yeah Aya is hot.

Oh and AD700 is greater than HD555. <- keeps post on topic and mod proof

Jun 16, 2010 at 7:09 AM Post #149 of 157

Quote:
Honestly I've seen far worse threads not get axed. And yeah Aya is hot.

Oh and AD700 is greater than HD555. <- keeps post on topic and mod proof

i haven't seen those that got removed lol. but i can see what the mod is trying to do and it is understandable.

think about the rules, and if the mod bends the rules, where will the limit be? i've never read the rules myself and would have thought as long as there is no flaming and stuff, it's fine or nothing explicit. but yeah; the only thing i cannot tolerate is personal attacks, flaming etc.

again, at the end of the day, freedom of speech is encouraged, but not at the expense of others; if the moderator takes a harsh stand on things, then we know where the boundary is. anyway, i don't know the rules (apologies that i have not read it!) so i'll leave that to the moderator.

i guess we are taking this forum to be about audio and nothing else, i have my reservations, because a forum is where i believe people make friends and interact, it is an online forum after all. but i will not advocate anything further; let's just enjoy ourselves :wink:

moderator: you may delete my post if required :)

Jun 16, 2010 at 9:34 AM Post #150 of 157
Oh and the AD700 is still one of the most over-hyped, confusing, over-rated headphones in existence
smile_phones.gif

Here's a rule of thumb for anyone considering a headphone for music, or music + gaming.  If a headphone is often chosen by "gamers", then its most likely a good idea to stay away from it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back