pocketknives
Mar 16, 2006 at 5:39 PM Post #76 of 90
I got a CRKT Van Hoy Snap Lock for Christmas and I love it. You can get them pretty cheap on Ebay:

SNAPLOCK06.jpg

Mar 16, 2006 at 5:50 PM Post #77 of 90
I ECD an Endura WAVE

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.themartialist.com/images/wavedendura01.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.themartialist.com/pecom/wavedendura.htm&h=230&w=386&sz=17&tbnid=5rnHDRBBMc sDPM:&tbnh=70&tbnw=119&hl=en&start=1&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dendura%2Bwave%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den% 26lr%3D%26safe%3Doff%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-USfficial%26sa%3DN

with a modified (convex) grind. You do get some reactions when you whip it out and cut something in the time it takes most people to pat their pockets looking for their knives
biggrin.gif

I also carry a plain edge Delica in my waistband for grooming/small knife tasks.

Mar 16, 2006 at 6:28 PM Post #78 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Welly Wu
I'm sorry but if you're going to change your habits because you don't like how people make you feel for carrying a knife (presumably for that "what if" situation and personal defense), then that's just sad. What if you decided to carry a handgun concealed? Then what?

Even worse, what if you had to defend yourself or your loved one in one of those "God forbid" situations and all you had was a Swiss Army pocket knife? Don't you realize that you're trading personal security for the mere approval of others who won't be there in a pinch to help defend your life? Sheesh...some people are just out of this world.

Anyway, I carry a Duane Dieter Close Quarters Defense Mark II SOF blade. I don't give a damn what other people think about me...just stay the **** out of my business. Sheesh.

Carry a real tactical knife and say **** you to those who don't approve. If you get into a scuffle, then tell them how it may or may not have saved your life or the life of your loved ones afterwards...assuming you survive the encounter. Go get a handgun license and see whether you can get a concealed carry license to boot. Knives, no matter how sophisticated in terms of technology or your personal defense training, are no match against firearms. Period.

Carrying knives around sounds cool and all but if god forbid you were to get into a scuffle (I trust you mean your life is directly threatened and that you're not outside of a bar at last call) are you trained in knife tactics? Because if not, wouldn't one be pretty useless?

Mar 16, 2006 at 6:30 PM Post #79 of 90
Carrying my waved dragonfly and yojimbo, today. Never use the yojimbo for anything, though, I'm scared of having to reprofile it. I've got my mini-manix in my car, though I'm not sure it's legal to do that. The dragonfly is good enough for my edc needs. The wave is inconsistent on the catch, though. Anyone see the removable wave on the spyderco pikal?

Mar 17, 2006 at 1:16 AM Post #80 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Mac
My knife is NOT a personal defense weapon, it's a tool. If someone is threatening me with a gun, a knife would be useless, and if someone is threatening me with a knife, they'll wind up with broken arms. I'm confident that unless someone has dedicated many, many hours to learning how to use their knife against a person, that I'd be better off using my bare hands. Twice I've been threatened by a knife downtown, and twice I've broken the assailant's arm, taken the knife, and RUN away. Both times I was carrying a tactical folder.

Couldn't agree more. I like the Buck Metro. Because it can open a beer or a box. And it's only $12.
http://www.rei.com/product/47525545.htm
Seriously--how many of you all with the big scary tactical knives have actually used them on a human? Better to run away. I've lost count how many times I've gotten "cool, now THAT's a useful thing" when I open a friend's beer at happy hour...

Mar 19, 2006 at 5:59 PM Post #81 of 90
Added these to my collection:

Spyderco Native Combo Edge:
SPC41PSBBK%5Blarge%5D.jpg

Spyderco Byrd Cara Cara Plain Edge:
BYRD_03BKP.jpg

Mar 21, 2006 at 11:54 PM Post #82 of 90
I'm considering buying a Microtech and wanted to know if anyone here has any experience with them?? How well do they hold their edge etc.?

I am debating between the Halo II (plain or partially serrated), the Halo III (Tanto plain), or the Ultratech II double sided with one side plain and one serrated. Any thoughts?

Mar 22, 2006 at 12:10 AM Post #83 of 90
I have several knives from Microtech, one of them being a Ultratech UTX70 damascus blade. I can vouch that Microtech's craftsmanship is first class bar none and their blades can hold an edge with the best of them.

Mar 22, 2006 at 12:59 AM Post #84 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by warubozu
I have several knives from Microtech, one of them being a Ultratech UTX70 damascus blade. I can vouch that Microtech's craftsmanship is first class bar none and their blades can hold an edge with the best of them.

Is it too large for pocket carry?

Mar 22, 2006 at 1:27 AM Post #85 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74
I'm considering buying a Microtech and wanted to know if anyone here has any experience with them?? How well do they hold their edge etc.?

Pricey, but nice, with great fit & finish. Watch out for the spring though, it has a pretty good kick to it. The blades on their autos snap out with authority. As for edgeholding, I wouldn't know, I've only handled them at knife meets, but reports say it's up there with anything else. IIRC, Microtech runs their blades a bit harder than other companies so they might be a bit more brittle, but as far as I know no one's reported any out of the ordinary chipping or other failures. If you can afford one, grab it.

Mar 22, 2006 at 1:36 AM Post #86 of 90
Quote:

Is it too large for pocket carry?

For me no it's not too large. With the knife fully closed it's about the same length as my jean pockets, which makes it easy for me to reach for it without having to go too far into my pockets. It's also quite thin and narrow so it doesn't really feel bulky in your pockets like some other knives.

Mar 22, 2006 at 1:37 AM Post #87 of 90
I have a microtech mini socom manual in their urban camo pattern. Got a great deal on it.
Don't carry it because I like my benchmade mini grip better due to it's one handed openning and closing.
Don't know about their autos, the only auto I had was a benchmade 9050 AFO.
It was a large slow openning auto. At around $140 it was almost double the price of my MT. I traded it for a BM ares.
I kinda abused the AFO too. oh well, the trader knew he had a good deal or he would of complained. but that's neither here no there.
What I really wanna try at the next show is the Pro Tech godfather series.

Mar 22, 2006 at 3:17 AM Post #88 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by aerius
Pricey, but nice, with great fit & finish. Watch out for the spring though, it has a pretty good kick to it. The blades on their autos snap out with authority. As for edgeholding, I wouldn't know, I've only handled them at knife meets, but reports say it's up there with anything else. IIRC, Microtech runs their blades a bit harder than other companies so they might be a bit more brittle, but as far as I know no one's reported any out of the ordinary chipping or other failures. If you can afford one, grab it.

I bought a MOD a few years back and was impressed with the weight and build quality but the edge did not hold long at all. My Colt keeps a nice edge but it's not built as well and is wearing down.

Mar 22, 2006 at 2:13 PM Post #89 of 90
Quote:

I bought a MOD a few years back and was impressed with the weight and build quality but the edge did not hold long at all. My Colt keeps a nice edge but it's not built as well and is wearing down.

I handled an MOD CQC once, it's probably more suitable as an impact weapon than anything else. Nice build quality but way too heavy & chunky for me. It didn't look like a good knife for cutting with the blade thickness & shape, then again the CQC is a dedicated self-defence folder. Which is probably why I haven't heard anything about edge retention on them until now.

Sep 14, 2006 at 9:35 PM Post #90 of 90
iono i think microtech i a bit.. mafia/ganster like... I would vouch for benchmade. got a 9053 and a auto stryker and they both are really tight when opened. The sogs and some kershaws wiggle latereally when opened..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back