pocketknives
Apr 26, 2004 at 9:21 AM Post #46 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vertigo-1
My keychain nowdays always bears a Schrade Simon SS1. Small and sharp and relatively inobtrusive.

http://www.schradeknives.com/simon.htm

Also parked alongside it is a Swiss-tech Util-key. Lovely little thing that happens to make it on board the planes with me everytime.
very_evil_smiley.gif

I have excatly the same thing
biggrin.gif
Technically, I never carry a knife, but I never forget my keys either
wink.gif
evil_smiley.gif

IMG_0037.JPG

Apr 26, 2004 at 9:31 AM Post #47 of 90
The_Mac,

What line of work are you in that has such sensitive customers as yours? Just curious because, in my previous career, I carried as many as three knives at once and have never had a client or customer comment about them.

I used to do archaeological consulting for the government and for large resource-based corporations. My usual complement included a Gerber E-Z-Out with serrated edge (probably identical to yours), an original Leatherman, and a seven-inch Leuku puukko. The first two were strictly utilitarian, but the big knife was a last-ditch defense against animal attack (in the unlikely case that I managed to empty six 3" magnum shotshells (a triple-ought buck and five slugs) from my Marine Magnum SG into a bear/cougar/moose/human and it kept coming). I've walked into everything from police stations to corporate boardrooms with this rig and rarely been given a second glance.

These days, though, I generally carry just an old Swiss Army knife because I fly commercially more than I once did. If I forget to pack it into my checked baggage, then it won't hurt much to have it confiscated( since I mostly carry it for the toothpick and tweezers
tongue.gif
).

D.

Apr 26, 2004 at 10:42 AM Post #48 of 90
I've carried a pocket knife for at least 25 years. I have many and
get a new one every two years or so. Here is the current one, warning
huge picture. William Henry with all dasmascus including liners, tiger
eye's and snakewood handle.

http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/williamhenry.jpg

Notice that the jpg encoder goes nuts on all the small lines.

Apr 26, 2004 at 11:23 AM Post #49 of 90
I usually have a Victorinox (Swiss Army) Mini Champ on my key ring,
VI414_main.jpg

a Leatherman Wave in my bag,
LEATHERMAN-WAVE.jpg

and a partially serrated, custom titanium-bolstered, Emerson Commander on my belt. [The pic I stole doesnt show the titanium bolster and unfortunately, it looks like Emerson's site is down.]
emerson.jpg

I started carrying them when I used to go backpacking almost daily, and since then its just become a habit I guess.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 26, 2004 at 11:55 AM Post #50 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin gilmore
Here is the current one, warning
huge picture. William Henry with all dasmascus including liners, tiger
eye's and snakewood handle.

That's a beautiful knife that you have there, Kevin. There really isn't much prettier than a nicely damascened blade

D.

Apr 26, 2004 at 6:44 PM Post #52 of 90
I carry a Benchmade 770. One of the preproduction models.
I also have a Gerber multitool, a micro Leatherman and a Cross pocket pen with a Photon LED attached to it. They are all with me all the time. I use the knife and microtool the most often. And as The Mac said, they are tools.

I can't imagine people giving you the eye because of knife.

Apr 26, 2004 at 7:34 PM Post #53 of 90
I always carry one too.

But I haven't found a single person that thought my tiny Swiss Army knife keychain was a weapon.
biggrin.gif

Well, maybe only the airport, but they think fingernail clippers are weapons.
"Oh no! The terrorists are cutting peoples fingernails really really short!!!"
rolleyes.gif

-Ed

Apr 26, 2004 at 8:21 PM Post #55 of 90
Here is my current knife collection in active rotation:

knives 001.jpg

Featured are: Leatherman Wave Multitool, Gerber Gator Serrated Folder, Buckknives 112T, CRKT KISS 5500, Gerber Applegate & Fairburn Covert Folder & the Swiss Army Camper.

This is what I currently carry everyday:

knives 002.jpg

And finally, this is a closeup of my favorite knife should I be attacked by a raging band of crazypeople! The Applegate & Fairburn Covert Tactical Folder

images\knives 004.jpg

I used to carry the Swiss Army in my backpocket but after causing two to be dented and ruining (creating holes) in alot of pants, I switched to the Buck.

Apr 26, 2004 at 8:21 PM Post #56 of 90
During the summer I usually carry around a small <2" folding knife. Red plastic handle, but it only cost a few dollars. Fine for opening boxes and stuff. But hwen I go to school it stays home. Also got a fairly large non-folding one I use at home to cut duck tape and some cardboard.

Apr 26, 2004 at 8:44 PM Post #57 of 90
No bali-song carriers? Used mainly for showing off, but I do sometimes use it for everyday mundane things (boc opening, fruit slicing....).

42.jpg

Apr 26, 2004 at 9:03 PM Post #58 of 90
I had a bali-song butterfly knife, but lost it in the move from house
to house. Would love to buy another, but have not found anyone
selling them.

Apr 26, 2004 at 9:43 PM Post #60 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadDog5145
No bali-song carriers? Used mainly for showing off, but I do sometimes use it for everyday mundane things (boc opening, fruit slicing....).

Don't carry one, but I do have one that I leave at home since I'm pretty sure it's not legal.
evil_smiley.gif
I have a practice balisong in fact sitting right in front of me.

It's not hard at all to learn the basic flipping motion. If you want to get flashy though, then it get's a bit harder. I've freaked my friends out before in front of a webcam by tossing my practice balisong closed into the air and catching it perfectly, blade out, on its way down. They all thought they were about to witness my suicide.
very_evil_smiley.gif
Of course, I haven't tried that with my real one.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back