pocketknives
Apr 26, 2004 at 10:18 PM Post #61 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin gilmore
I had a bali-song butterfly knife, but lost it in the move from house
to house. Would love to buy another, but have not found anyone
selling them.

NewGraham Knives is good starting place for some of the higher end balisongs, while knifezilla has a wide selection of cheap ones. Of course you get what you pay for.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mclaren20
how hard is it to learn how to use a butterfly knife?

The simple tricks, such as the windmill and latchdrop are easy and can be mastered in a couple of hours. Balisong Xtreme is one of the best online balisong tutorials giving both text description and video for beginner, intermediate, and advance balisong moves.

Apr 26, 2004 at 11:28 PM Post #62 of 90
Reasonably priced for damascus. Mine had a squared off latch that
was not spring loaded.

I was never that good with it. At least i never seriously cut myself
k1000smile.gif

Apr 27, 2004 at 12:28 AM Post #63 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Demolition
The_Mac,

What line of work are you in that has such sensitive customers as yours? Just curious because, in my previous career, I carried as many as three knives at once and have never had a client or customer comment about them.

I used to do archaeological consulting for the government and for large resource-based corporations. My usual complement included a Gerber E-Z-Out with serrated edge (probably identical to yours), an original Leatherman, and a seven-inch Leuku puukko. The first two were strictly utilitarian, but the big knife was a last-ditch defense against animal attack (in the unlikely case that I managed to empty six 3" magnum shotshells (a triple-ought buck and five slugs) from my Marine Magnum SG into a bear/cougar/moose/human and it kept coming). I've walked into everything from police stations to corporate boardrooms with this rig and rarely been given a second glance.

These days, though, I generally carry just an old Swiss Army knife because I fly commercially more than I once did. If I forget to pack it into my checked baggage, then it won't hurt much to have it confiscated( since I mostly carry it for the toothpick and tweezers
tongue.gif
).

D.

I work for a Gas station as well as a security company. Security company is no problem, but when I'm opening boxes, or fabricating something, or using my knife for eating, or whatever, and the sheep that are customers give me strange looks.

Apr 27, 2004 at 1:37 AM Post #64 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadDog5145
NewGraham Knives is good starting place for some of the higher end balisongs, while knifezilla has a wide selection of cheap ones. Of course you get what you pay for.

Wow, those selection of balisongs are a lot more reasonably price than my Microtek balisong with Damascus blade.

Apr 27, 2004 at 3:39 AM Post #65 of 90
My brother and I both have really wanted butterflies for quite some time. My Uncle (an ex Army Ranger) has one, and can have it out, flipped open, and in attack position in less time than you can think. They're insanely cool. I can imagine someone's face if you asked them to open a box for them...

(-:Stephonovich:)

Apr 27, 2004 at 5:17 AM Post #66 of 90
i used to carry a Kershaw Chive... neat little thing with the flip action, but it was POS... the screws would always come loose, and the blade wasnt sharp

in fact, it was no sharper than my Leatherman Micra multitool (NEAT!)... i sent in the Kershaw for warranty and got a very sharp, very well-made replacement.

Unfortunately I lost the Chive soon thereafter, and then the Micra, too

However, as I honestly had no real uses for the Kershaw knife, I bought a Victorinox Midnight Minichamp II and its been great... has 2 blades, LED, and neat ass pen. thats all i really need

Apr 27, 2004 at 6:38 AM Post #67 of 90
Wondering if anyone has had any experience with Myerchin knives. I've been thinking of getting this or the sport version if I wanted a gut hook over a marline spike. I have heard good things about these knives durability. The hook or spike would make the knife more useful, and are tools I don't have on my leatherman wave or my SAK Soldier or Officer Spartan without tweezers.

I don't really plan to use it for EDC, but I think it'd be useful for boating and backpacking. The light would be useful in both situations and EDC but EDC torches are a whole 'nother topic.

As for small dress knives, I really like the CRKT ones that have been pointed out above.

Apr 27, 2004 at 6:48 AM Post #68 of 90
I Lost Victorinox Swisschamp on the beach last year:

swisschamp.jpg

Thus I upgraded to the Victorinox Swiss Tools:

3_0338_l_cs.jpg

Apr 27, 2004 at 7:03 AM Post #69 of 90
Sorry I don't know if anyone else mentioned this since I only read through the first page or so but you might at least seriously consider a Leatherman Wave instead of the swiss army knife. The wave has locking straight and serrated blades as well as many other very handy tools. The nice part is that on the wave leatherman actually place the blades on the outside so they can be opened one handed. Opening the needle nose pliers requires a simple flick of the wrist similar to opperating a butterfly knife. They also made it so the edges are no longer sharp so you can really grip the pliers.

As for me, my daily carry is a S&W S.W.A.T. knife. http://www.knifecenter.com/knifecent...hwes/swat.html It's the second one down (all black w/partial serration) My Leatherman Wave is usually in my backpack. I've had a couple of odd looks but they are rare...

The biggest scare I ever gave someone was in a parking garage in downtown Seattle. At the time, my daily carry was the Leatherman Wave. I had pulled a stupid and locked my keys in my car. After some time I managed to get a wire hanger from one of the garage attendants. The only problem was that the hook part of the hanger had been broken off. Well what do you know, the Leatherman comes in handy once again... it can cut hard wire. Well I flipped the thing open to get to the pliers not noticing the guy 20 feet in front of me... Oops! Scared the hell out of him!!! When he heard it flip open he literally jumped as he was turning to look to see where the sound came from. Sorry guy...

Apr 27, 2004 at 7:59 AM Post #70 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
Sorry I don't know if anyone else mentioned this since I only read through the first page or so but you might at least seriously consider a Leatherman Wave instead of the swiss army knife. The wave has locking straight and serrated blades as well as many other very handy tools. The nice part is that on the wave leatherman actually place the blades on the outside so they can be opened one handed. Opening the needle nose pliers requires a simple flick of the wrist similar to opperating a butterfly knife. They also made it so the edges are no longer sharp so you can really grip the pliers.

That's true.

Speaking about "tools" I did a big comparison between Leatherman Wave, Leatherman SuperTool 200 and Victorinox SwissTool and ended up with SwissTool, since it has all locking components and the most features.

Apr 27, 2004 at 8:08 AM Post #71 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Permonic
That's true.

Speaking about "tools" I did a big comparison between Leatherman Wave, Leatherman SuperTool 200 and Victorinox SwissTool and ended up with SwissTool, since it has all locking components and the most features.

Yeah, it has more tools but the Leatherman's main tools can be used one handed which is a big plus for me. Also, the fact that the Leatherman had rounded edges so you could really squease the plairs was very nice since I used them constantly when I was worked in custom framing. Since I now work in an office I have retired the Wave to my backpack. I seldom have use for anything other than a blade nowdays, but there is that rare occasion.

Apr 27, 2004 at 8:41 AM Post #72 of 90
Quote:

Yeah, it has more tools but the Leatherman's main tools can be used one handed which is a big plus for me. Also, the fact that the Leatherman had rounded edges so you could really squease the plairs was very nice since I used them constantly when I was worked in custom framing. Since I now work in an office I have retired the Wave to my backpack. I seldom have use for anything other than a blade nowdays, but there is that rare occasion.

You know, in the end it was very tough decision between SwissTool and Wave. That one hand opening is a pretty good feature. Since I carry the SwissTool as the only knife/tool, more tools (scissors, a corkscrew, a wrench with 6 bits) were the decisive factor for me. However you can buy wrench & bits for Wave too.

Apr 27, 2004 at 9:12 AM Post #74 of 90
Quote:

Sorry I don't know if anyone else mentioned this since I only read through the first page or so but you might at least seriously consider a Leatherman Wave instead of the swiss army knife.

If the Wave or Super Tool 200 had been around when I bought my old original Pocket Survival Tool almost 15 years ago, then I would have gladly bought one instead. But, I can't complain. My PST has been a trusty companion through some very bad situations and has never failed. A very tough little tool/knife. I suspect that it will still be with me for at least another 15 years.

D.

Mar 16, 2006 at 5:04 PM Post #75 of 90
While rumaging through a junk shop in Pittsburgh last weekend, I came across this monster. It's 12 inches long when closed, and for only $22 I couldn't resist. It's pictured with a standard Buck Knife and one of the largest Swiss Army Knives. Now I need bigger pockets.

Knives.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back