pocketknives
Apr 25, 2004 at 10:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 90

The_Mac

500+ Head-Fier
Well, I've always carried a pocketknife. As long as I can remember I've always had a knife on me. It gets carried like keys, wallet, and such.

What amazes me though is that I'm constantly being criticized for doing so. People seem to think of a knife as a weapon instead of as a tool, and that just makes no sense to me. I've gotten so many strange looks and comments lately that I've even changed my daily carry. I'll normally use a 3.5" bladed tactical folder as my everyday knife. A Gerber E-Z-out because it's comfortable, cheap, decent steel, has a belt clip, and holds an edge well enough. But seems every time I take it out people give me stares. Now I'm using an old swiss army knife as my regular carry if I have pockets, because it's considerably less intimidating looking and smaller, but the lack of a locking mechanism as well as the lack of a serrated section of blade has lately been annoying me, as well as having considerably thinner blades that I'm worried about breaking or bending.

Anyone else carry a knife on a regular basis and have any advise on how to deal with people that look at me like an axe murderer when I take out something with a little more heft to it? It's not like I've got some monstrous Bowie strapped to my thigh, this is a relatively regularly sized blade, and it's unobtrusively clipped inside my back pocket 99% of the time.

Any advise here?

Also, I'm looking to replace my lost mini-kiss folder that I carried in Dress situations and when I wanted something small and utilitarian, but classy looking. Mine was lost by a friend I lent it to. Any suggestions on a small-bladed sleek looking folder that would be appropriate in a pocket of some nice slacks?

Apr 25, 2004 at 10:32 PM Post #2 of 90
Boker (great german knifemaker of yore) makes a CERAMIC bladed folding knife, almost never needs sharpening, titanium handled, #2031...about $77.00USD = Best.

That knife can NEVER be used for even the least amount of prying, and may shatter if you drop it while open, as the blade is not ductile.

If you want a knife you won't mourn if it "walks", get a Gerber Micro LST, or a little bigger, but still comfy in pocket, get the Gerber LST.

Apr 25, 2004 at 10:45 PM Post #3 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by KYTGuy
Boker (great german knifemaker of yore) makes a CERAMIC bladed folding knife, almost never needs sharpening, titanium handled, #2031...about $77.00USD = Best.

That knife can NEVER be used for even the least amount of prying, and may shatter if you drop it while open, as the blade is not ductile.

If you want a knife you won't mourn if it "walks", get a Gerber Micro LST, or a little bigger, but still comfy in pocket, get the Gerber LST.

Ironically, I already have an LST, and while it gets carried on occasion (need a small knife that I'm not worried about losing) it's not elegant in the least. It screams "utility".

What I used to use was a CRKT PECK and it was quite sexy, I got many compliments on it, and it worked well to boot. I may end up just getting another to replace it, but I'd be open to something else, if you had something else you'd recommend.

Apr 25, 2004 at 10:48 PM Post #4 of 90
Costs a small fortune, but the Benchmade 690 will do the job quite well. I have one myself and I use it pretty much everywhere without getting dirty looks or freakout reactions. I think the nice wood & carbon fiber finish helps to put people at ease whereas a similar sized knife such as the mini-Stryker will cause instant negative reactions.

At a lower pricepoint the Kershaw Sapphire is a sleeper, no one really talks about it but I have one and it's a downright steal at at ~$100 Cdn. Very well made, nice blue friendly colour to keep the sheeple from freaking, and blade is a pretty good steel which takes an amazing edge, better than anything short of those new superstainless CPM steels.

Apr 25, 2004 at 10:56 PM Post #5 of 90
Admired the CRKT stuff, but have never had one...

Have always carried a Gerber of one style or another, because it cuts just the right balance for me between utility and style.

Never really went for the strange method of opening/locking that some knives have, and always liked the drop point to the exclusion of almost any other design.

Lost my very favorite Gerber, had won a design award, forget its name, two blades, wood handles, stainless bolsters...replaced it with the LST, have carried that one ever since.

Lust after the Boker, but other hobbies/demands have kept the purchase on the wishlist.

The boker is less than one ounce, light, small, will never rust or tarnish, and needs no maintenance...sounds Ideal to me for the knife to take with you on a date, or when you are in your Tux. Blade is a drop point, 2inches in length.

It does not look "tactical" at all, and would be as innocuous as a moneyclip.

Sorry, no other suggestions.

Apr 25, 2004 at 11:18 PM Post #6 of 90
I always carry a Spyderco Endura (3.5 " serrated blade) in my right front pocket w/ belt clip showing. Never get any comments on it at all. Of course I work in a Harley dealership where knives aren't uncommon. Some guys wear pretty comical sheath knives that look more like small swords. None of them are "old school" bikers that'd even scare the most straight-laced citizen. They're mostly just noobs trying to look like "bikers".
I use it all the time for opening boxes and cutting zip ties. The only time people notice it is when I use it to open owner's manual packages in my office. Customers will sometimes comment that I opened it pretty fast or something to that effect but it doesn't freak people out of "scare" anybody.
It's an extremely utilitarian knife with a polymer handle (a la Glock). It ain't fancy but I feel naked w/out it. Serrated blades are great if you ever need to cut a seat belt in an emergency.
My advice is carry what meets your needs and don't worry about what others think. It makes alot more sense than cutting off a finger 'cause you didn't carry a locking blade. If you're looking for something more "elegant" I've seen some beatiful exotic wood knives w/ Damascus steel blades. I wish I could give you the name of a good maker but none comes to mind.
If anyone gives you any sh#t just tell 'em what my mom's old boss told her 32 years ago when he gave me my first pocket knife: "Every gentleman needs a toad stabber!"

Apr 26, 2004 at 12:03 AM Post #7 of 90
Everyday I carry my Leatherman Wave with me. Its a bit bulky, but I wear it on my belt opposite my cell phone so it kinda evens things out. People don't mention it much mainly because it just looks like a pair of plyers most of the time. However, I like it more than other pocket tools is because the blades can be opened without having to open the whole tool. The knives are on the outside and have locking mechanisms. There is a normal blade, a saw, a serrated blade and a file all on the outside and lock.

Even though I would rather carry a tactical folder, the Wave fits my purpose without worrying anyone. I have a few folders that I used to carry but I use them just on special occasions now.

That CRKT PECK is a pretty nice small knife. I have a KISS which is slightly bigger and has a tanto blade which I like quite a bit especially for its small size.

Apr 26, 2004 at 12:10 AM Post #9 of 90
EDC is a crappy S&W swat folder. I beat the crap out of that knife.
I'd like to get a nicer auto like a benchmade or microtech in the future.

Apr 26, 2004 at 12:19 AM Post #10 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by bpm2000
EDC is a crappy S&W swat folder. I beat the crap out of that knife.
I'd like to get a nicer auto like a benchmade or microtech in the future.

I thought autos were illegal for civilians.

Apr 26, 2004 at 12:59 AM Post #11 of 90
I know what you mean bout looks. And not many SAK has a blade lock. When you really need a knife, you would hate to cut yourself.
I have a very small beretta airlight in hunter green, it's blade is less than 2 in with a skelotonized blade and half serated. That thing scares people.
The Kershaw Scallion is very nice and slim just make sure the lock is on so it won't open up in your pocket. (comes half serrated too)
Now I EDC a Benchmade 730 Axis lock, which I traded a Benchmade AFO auto for. since I can't carry an auto, it was the best decision.
I would like a Microtech MiniSOCOM next or their USSOCOM auto.
Just make sure it doesn't look "tactical".

Apr 26, 2004 at 1:17 AM Post #13 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Mac
Well, I've always carried a pocketknife. As long as I can remember I've always had a knife on me. It gets carried like keys, wallet, and such.

What amazes me though is that I'm constantly being criticized for doing so. People seem to think of a knife as a weapon instead of as a tool, and that just makes no sense to me. I've gotten so many strange looks and comments lately that I've even changed my daily carry. I'll normally use a 3.5" bladed tactical folder as my everyday knife. A Gerber E-Z-out because it's comfortable, cheap, decent steel, has a belt clip, and holds an edge well enough. But seems every time I take it out people give me stares. Now I'm using an old swiss army knife as my regular carry if I have pockets, because it's considerably less intimidating looking and smaller, but the lack of a locking mechanism as well as the lack of a serrated section of blade has lately been annoying me, as well as having considerably thinner blades that I'm worried about breaking or bending.

Anyone else carry a knife on a regular basis and have any advise on how to deal with people that look at me like an axe murderer when I take out something with a little more heft to it? It's not like I've got some monstrous Bowie strapped to my thigh, this is a relatively regularly sized blade, and it's unobtrusively clipped inside my back pocket 99% of the time.

Any advise here?

Also, I'm looking to replace my lost mini-kiss folder that I carried in Dress situations and when I wanted something small and utilitarian, but classy looking. Mine was lost by a friend I lent it to. Any suggestions on a small-bladed sleek looking folder that would be appropriate in a pocket of some nice slacks?

I'm sorry but if you're going to change your habits because you don't like how people make you feel for carrying a knife (presumably for that "what if" situation and personal defense), then that's just sad. What if you decided to carry a handgun concealed? Then what?

Even worse, what if you had to defend yourself or your loved one in one of those "God forbid" situations and all you had was a Swiss Army pocket knife? Don't you realize that you're trading personal security for the mere approval of others who won't be there in a pinch to help defend your life? Sheesh...some people are just out of this world.

Anyway, I carry a Duane Dieter Close Quarters Defense Mark II SOF blade. I don't give a damn what other people think about me...just stay the fcuk out of my business. Sheesh.

Carry a real tactical knife and say fcuk you to those who don't approve. If you get into a scuffle, then tell them how it may or may not have saved your life or the life of your loved ones afterwards...assuming you survive the encounter. Go get a handgun license and see whether you can get a concealed carry license to boot. Knives, no matter how sophisticated in terms of technology or your personal defense training, are no match against firearms. Period.

Apr 26, 2004 at 1:32 AM Post #14 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepkyng
i've just got the trust Swiss Army knife, damn thing is so useful!

Swiss Army knives (Victorinox) have been the mainstays of my pocket tools for over 35 years now. Current one is a large Cybertool with a Maglite Solitaire keyringed onto it. They get use everyday. Locking folder is a discontinued EDI Genesis with darkened blade and half serrated. Glad I got a couple of these before they were gone.

All my knives are carried in pockets out of plain view. Probably why I get no criticism. The only people who see them have already asked for the kife's services as a tool, and are not of a mind to object.

Several years ago I had all my locking folders out and separated into the pile I found useful and the pile of the others. Finally noticed that all the useful locking folders had drop points and were within 0.125" of 3.5" of useful blade length. Haven't bought any other kind since then.

Apr 26, 2004 at 1:33 AM Post #15 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlindTiger
The Kershaw Scallion is very nice and slim just make sure the lock is on so it won't open up in your pocket. (comes half serrated too)

Forgot about that one, it's a nice friendly knife except for the speedsafe mechanism which makes everyone think it's an auto. Also comes in colours other than black which is always good when it comes to public acceptance. I liked mine quite a bit but unfortunately I lost it somewhere.

Quote:

Now I EDC a Benchmade 730 Axis lock, which I traded a Benchmade AFO auto for. since I can't carry an auto, it was the best decision.
I would like a Microtech MiniSOCOM next or their USSOCOM auto.

I have the 735 which is the exact same thing but with a green & black handle. This knife has the best handle in the entire Benchmade linup IMO, fills the hand well and just locks in while being quite comfortable. I find the blade to be too thick behind the edge, it's harder to sharpen to a good edge and doesn't cut as well as my 710. The 710 zips through things while the 735 tends to bind & hang up.

If you're thinking about the Microtechs, also consider the Camillus Dominator, think of it as the Kershaw Scallion on steroids. Titanium framelock, has as nice assisted opening mechanism like the Kershaw, and it has an S30V stainless blade which I find to be noticeably better than 154CM. My Benchmade 750's been gathering dust ever since I got the Dominator, I'd sell it but I'm too attached to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back