Pocketknives, any body into Knife-Fi?
Sep 16, 2006 at 9:45 PM Post #166 of 240
I have a decent little collection of knives, here are my current favorites for EDC:

Spyderco Poliwog:
poliwog.jpg

Kershaw Baby Boa:
K1585BR.jpg

Kershaw Mini Mojo:
K1800.jpg

Sep 19, 2006 at 2:05 AM Post #167 of 240
I got a nice little package today containing my new Spyderco Endura Wave. Let me tell you, it is one sweet knife. The Wave feature is extremely easy to use, I got it on my first try, and it's really not a scary feeling or anything. The blade is extremely sharp. Also, I had heard that the handle was not really black, but more of a gray. This is true, and it's even more of a blue-gray than just straight gray, but this doesn't bug me. The only bad thing about it so far is that there is some slight movement in the lock, not a whole lot, but a little bit of verticle wiggle. Nothing I can't live with. I'll try to get some pics up, maybe a short video of the Wave feature. It's a lot of knife for the money.

Nov 12, 2006 at 8:04 AM Post #170 of 240
I wanted a lightfoot for a long time because of the blade shape, which I find to be very appealing for cutting paper and other similar tasks. However, I've just not been a fan of crkt's soft liners, so I never bit the bullet on one. I'd love to get my hands on a spyderco poliwog, though. It's could be my high end replacement for my dragonfly.

Jan 31, 2007 at 1:26 AM Post #171 of 240
Since my last post, I've been bitten by the Benchmade bug.

Short reviews of each:

310 Benchmite II: Solid small knife. Too small for real use though, I can only get two fingers on the handle. Mine does key chain duty for me. Really people friendly. Only quick, reliable method of opening for me is two hand opening. The auto version makes for a much better knife, but not available to me in Texas.

530 Pardue: My EDC blade. It's very light/thin for the blade length, and the thin blade works great for me in every day usage. The plastic handles don't look/feel too durable though, and the thumbstud is too small. Also, the Axis flick is rather more difficult (EDIT: originally "impossible") due to the light weight of the blade. Pretty people friendly.

550 Griptilian: Great inexpensive knife. Narrowly beat out by the 530 Pardue for the EDC spot. The Grip's a better knife, but the 530 Pardue's carryability won out. Pretty people friendly as long as you avoid the Axis flip.

523 Presidio Tanto: Nice solid knife. Blade is more suited for prying and other sorts of abuse than previous knives mentioned. My only tanto point and only combo edge blade. Don't like the combo edge. The tanto point is more mixed. The scales also eat through pockets quickly. Benchmade's BK1 coating sucks. Not people friendly at all.

610 Rukus: Big about covers it. Solid too. Very practical blade to boot. Oh yeah, the Axis lock rocks. Overall, very good knife. People friendly? Uhh...

630 Skirmish: Large knife, with a larger blade than the Rukus, but in a much thinner and lighter knife. Surprisingly carryable for it's size. I EDCed it for a while. The recurved blade is significantly less useful than the Rukus' drop point. The frame lock is solid and aesthetically better than Axis locks. Like the Pardue/Griptilian, the Rukus is the better knife, but the Skirmish is more carryable. If possible, less people friendly than the Rukus.

Now to get a few Spydies and Kershaws...

/EDIT: A version of the Axis flick is possible on 530 Pardue. Lock just has to be pulled all the way open, which will push blade out about 30 degrees. Still requires a fairly whippy wrist flick to open, but it is doable. Neat.

Jan 31, 2007 at 1:49 AM Post #172 of 240
Just got this:
KSG10BUMP.jpg

Kershaw Spec Bump
-Auto-assisted opening
-S30V 3.5" blade
-G10 handle
-Stud lock

Jan 31, 2007 at 2:11 AM Post #173 of 240
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since my last post, I've been bitten by the Benchmade bug.

Short reviews of each:

310 Benchmite II: Solid small knife. Too small for real use though, I can only get two fingers on the handle. Mine does key chain duty for me. Really people friendly. Only quick, reliable method of opening for me is two hand opening. The auto version makes for a much better knife, but not available to me in Texas.

530 Pardue: My EDC blade. It's very light/thin for the blade length, and the thin blade works great for me in every day usage. The plastic handles don't look/feel too durable though, and the thumbstud is too small. Also, the Axis flick is impossible due to the light weight of the blade. Pretty people friendly.

550 Griptilian: Great inexpensive knife. Narrowly beat out by the 530 Pardue for the EDC spot. The Grip's a better knife, but the 530 Pardue's carryability won out. Pretty people friendly as long as you avoid the Axis flip.

523 Presidio Tanto: Nice solid knife. Blade is more suited for prying and other sorts of abuse than previous knives mentioned. My only tanto point and only combo edge blade. Don't like the combo edge. The tanto point is more mixed. The scales also eat through pockets quickly. Benchmade's BK1 coating sucks. Not people friendly at all.

610 Rukus: Big about covers it. Solid too. Very practical blade to boot. Oh yeah, the Axis lock rocks. Overall, very good knife. People friendly? Uhh...

630 Skirmish: Large knife, with a larger blade than the Rukus, but in a much thinner and lighter knife. Surprisingly carryable for it's size. I EDCed it for a while. The recurved blade is significantly less useful than the Rukus' drop point. The frame lock is solid and aesthetically better than Axis locks. Like the Pardue/Griptilian, the Rukus is the better knife, but the Skirmish is more carryable. If possible, less people friendly than the Rukus.

Now to get a few Spydies and Kershaws...

Good comments. I too love the Benchmade knives... or at least the one I have. I've had the Osbourne as an EDC for awhile now and I love it. But I'v ehad my eye on the Griptillian too....perhaps a tanto
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 31, 2007 at 8:26 AM Post #175 of 240
This is my knife. Kershaw Serrated Leek

k1660cktst.jpg

I looooove this thing, I take it with me everywhere I go.

Also, if anyone is interested I have 3 of these that i would be willing to sell, new in box. Same model as the one above (not serrated thought) just different color.

ks1660vib.jpg

same model as the one above (not serrated thought) just different colors.

PM if interested

Jan 31, 2007 at 7:06 PM Post #178 of 240
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've got a boker speedlock I'm considering converting to auto. Neat little knife, really easy to convert.

I thought the Speedlock was auto and the Toplock was assisted or manual?

Jan 31, 2007 at 7:11 PM Post #179 of 240
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBigKahuna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought the Speedlock was auto and the Toplock was assisted or manual?

Boker's Speedlock is auto or manual, Toplock is assist or manual. I don't think Boker sells auto knives in America.

Jan 31, 2007 at 10:26 PM Post #180 of 240
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oink1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A Scottish weapon of choice if ever i've seen one!
tongue.gif
- The way i see it,Don't ever pull a blade on someone unless you're willing to use it because one day some big a55 mofo's gonna take that same knife off you and do you some damage with it
plainface.gif

Most true thing ever said!

I hope none of you guys are thinking of these as a self defense weapon. Without proper training (experience helps, but only if you have A LOT of it), a knife is a very bad thing to have. Almost anybody in my class (Systema: Russian Martial Arts) will take that knife away from you and use it effectively against you. Very similar situation to the fact that 60% of people that have guns in their house end up having a family member shot with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back