Pocketknives, any body into Knife-Fi?
Feb 6, 2007 at 9:22 PM Post #211 of 240
Quote:

Originally Posted by warubozu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Rukus, that's the Spyderco that I was thinking about but just couldn't remember the name. Been wanting a Rukus for while now but haven't gotten around to pulling the trigger. I agree it is indeed big, at first when I saw pics of it I didn't think it would be big. Then when I was able to see and hold one in my hands, it's big but not so big that it felt cumbersome in my hands. Solidly built and felt quite balanced in my hands for it's size.

The rukus is made by benchmade. I just sold mine after Christmas
frown.gif
I miss it. Solid as a rock.

I just wish the delica/endura would come with a finger choil, but I think Sal said that they would never do that. So, the old caly would be a good alternative to the delica/endura, except they dont make them any more, and the new caly is really expensive.

Feb 6, 2007 at 9:26 PM Post #212 of 240
Quote:

Originally Posted by luidge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it is realy for self defense, why not get some pepper spay bottle or something, i am not american so i don't realy understand why would someone take a knife to defend himself, but you should be better neutralising your agressor than killing him IMO...but this is just me.

This thread is not an argument in favor of using a knife for self-defense. Please excuse me while I find something suitable to bang my head against.

Feb 6, 2007 at 9:30 PM Post #213 of 240
Quote:

If it is realy for self defense, why not get some pepper spay bottle or something, i am not american so i don't realy understand why would someone take a knife to defend himself, but you should be better neutralising your agressor than killing him IMO...but this is just me.

Mainly because OC is single purpose only. Most knife carriers carry them primarily for functionality as users, not defense. If they're ever used for self defense, it's going to be as a last ditch option.

Either way, OC ain't that great either. It expires, wind will severely affect effectiveness, effective sizes are bulky, some people are unaffected, many are still combat capable after being sprayed, etc. When you get down to it, the only sure ways to neutralize an attacker are to cause severe CNS disruption or have them bleed out. OC spray does neither.

Modern taser units are very effective less than lethal weapons, but they're one shot only, and have a fairly small range window.

Feb 6, 2007 at 9:30 PM Post #214 of 240
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The rukus is made by benchmade. I just sold mine after Christmas
frown.gif
I miss it. Solid as a rock.

Thanks for the clarification. All this time I thought it was Spyderco that had made the Rukus.
rolleyes.gif

Feb 6, 2007 at 9:30 PM Post #215 of 240
Quote:

Lets not put an end to a long lasting thread that a number of people, including myself enjoy, with a discussion of what is and isn't appropriae for self defense. The thread is about collecting knives.

Thanks

Feb 6, 2007 at 11:43 PM Post #217 of 240
Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why is it bad for EDC use? I can't really see anything beyond the possible wear on the finish...?

For me, the following reasons:

1) Knives with a black finish and I just never got along. As you mentioned, they wear down. They start to look really horrible once they start to wear. If you intend to use it as an EDC beater, this might not matter as much to you.

2) It was too heavy for me for EDC. I always knew it was there in my pocket, and it really annoyed me.

3) It was too bulky for me for EDC.

4) If you use the gadgety mechanism to open it, it is a pain in the arse. In the time it took me to draw that knife and open it, I could have drawn the waved delica, cut something, open a bottle of beer, drink the beer, closed the knife and then clipped it back on my pocket. Ok maybe I exaggerated a little bit, but not by much.

5) Unlocking the knife with it's gadgety mechanism is a MAJOR pain in the arse. Even with the enclosed instructions I had a hard time figuring out how to unlock the knife, and even after I learned how to do it properly, it was still a major inconvenience.

Just to mention a few.

But again, it sure is pretty. Would make a great safe queen, but not good at all for EDC. There are much, much better choices out there for good EDC knives in that price range IMHO.

Such as:

Spyderco:
Waved Delica or Endura.
Centofante 3 or 4.
Lava.
Native 2 or 3.

Your milage may vary.

Feb 6, 2007 at 11:53 PM Post #218 of 240
Quote:

Originally Posted by warubozu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the clarification. All this time I thought it was Spyderco that had made the Rukus.
rolleyes.gif

Spyderco makes the manix and mini-manix.

C101G_M.jpg

IMO, just as beefy, just as strong, and has the forward finger choil, making it a better user knife. I lost my mini-manix
frown.gif

Feb 7, 2007 at 12:04 AM Post #219 of 240
Gadgety mechanism and too heavy, lmilhan? Hmm...

I am highly intrigued by the Wave mechanism, so I'm taking a look at Spyderco knives now...

EDIT: Would plain, combo, or serrated blades be best for daily use? How DO you sharpen serrated blades?

Feb 7, 2007 at 12:10 AM Post #220 of 240
My current EDC is a Kit Carson designed CRKT M16-13SF. It's large but very useful.

crkt.jpg

Feb 7, 2007 at 12:49 AM Post #221 of 240
Quote:

EDIT: Would plain, combo, or serrated blades be best for daily use? How DO you sharpen serrated blades?

Choice of blades would be based on what everyday task you use your kife for the most and personal preference. If you use your knife to cut rope or twine often, then a serrated or a combo blade might best meet your needs. If you rarely use your knife to cut rope or other tough materials, then a plain blade might fit your needs.

As for how to sharpen serrated blades, sharpening sticks such as the one by Spderco would be used:

http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/st...html?s=SP204MF

Feb 7, 2007 at 3:23 AM Post #222 of 240
not showing my knife, as i already did a few posts back, but i just had talk with the customer service guy at kershaw about getting a new blade on my knife as well as a belt clip, they said they would gladly replace both for free. so i am without my knife until the week is over.

just wanted to let you guys know how great the service was with them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan
Knives with a black finish and I just never got along. As you mentioned, they wear down. They start to look really horrible once they start to wear. If you intend to use it as an EDC beater, this might not matter as much to you.

I am the exact opposite. I love a black finish especially on the blade.

Feb 7, 2007 at 3:47 AM Post #223 of 240
Quote:

Gadgety mechanism and too heavy, lmilhan? Hmm...

I am highly intrigued by the Wave mechanism, so I'm taking a look at Spyderco knives now...

I prefer plain edge knives for my EDC tasks (light duty). As mentioned, if you will be cutting fibrous material such as rope and twine, a serrated blade would be your best bet - in particular, a hawkbill serrated. Something like this:

C106BK_M.jpg

That particular model is made of H1 steel, and will NOT rust under any circumstance, ever. Pretty freakin' amazing if you ask me.

If you are looking for a light duty knife for EDC such as cutting open boxes, letters, precision cutting, food prep (such as slicing fruit), a plain edge Wharncliff style blade is great. Something similar to this:

C66BK-4_M.jpg

I sharpen my serrated blades with a Spydercdo Sharpmaker. The Sharpmaker makes it a piece of cake, and even a newb can handle it.

IMHO Spydercos are the best production knives on the planet, especially when considering cost versus quality and performance.

The Waved delica and Endura are amazing knives, and the wave feature is absolutely fantastic. From one hand pocket draw to fully open and ready for action, they deploy faster than any switchblade, auto assist or stilleto out there. It is literally like pulling a fixed blade knife out of your pocket.

Like one of the other posts mentioned, I am spoiled by the wave, and I can't imagine going without the wave feature ever again for my EDC knives. I am considering buying an extra Waved Delica and Endura to have 'just in case' - they are that good. I am crossing my fingers that Spyderco will expand the wave feature to most of their more popular models.

Feb 7, 2007 at 4:43 AM Post #224 of 240
Quote:

Originally Posted by vpivinylspinner /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My current EDC is a Kit Carson designed CRKT M16-13SF. It's large but very useful.

crkt.jpg

Useful for what, punching through Kevlar armor? That thing is like the .50 Caliber rifle of knives.
blink.gif

leatherman_wave.jpg

This is what I used to carry. I left it in a bad spot at work and it got jacked. I have never loved a pocket knive/tool like I loved my Wave. I shed a single tear when I found out it was gone.
plainface.gif

Feb 7, 2007 at 4:48 AM Post #225 of 240
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Useful for what, punching through Kevlar armor? That thing is like the .50 Caliber rifle of knives.
blink.gif

Pardon my ignorance, but what makes that knife so powerful?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back