Plussound Audio Thread
Aug 21, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #1,517 of 1,759
So a few of my HF friends were raving about the Bird/Aeneid pairing.
I’m a fan of Plussound cables, so I figured I would spring for their X8 gold-plated silver wire. Well, all I can say is that the stock cable is going to be relegated to the case…three improvements right out of the box: sub-bass extends even deeper, with a more DD-like rumble (still can’t believe these are just 2 BAs), the treble is brighter and crisper without being sibilant, and the stage is a touch wider (which I think is saying a lot as the bird‘s stage is already amazing).
Just loving this pairing!
And, as always, amazing customer service from @PLUSSOUND (Christian of course).
I also bought an X8 tri-silver…still haven’t listened to it yet! But I’ll post pics and impressions once i get to it.

edit - I should also say the build quality, unboxing experience, etc., is first-rate as ususal! despite it being an 8-wire, for example, it's a super soft and comfortable cable.

D50F6E72-3DE8-46BF-AC70-9C4D8B8E88A4.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2021 at 10:27 PM Post #1,518 of 1,759
Sep 6, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #1,522 of 1,759
plussound-copper-review.jpg

"The new Copper+ simply sounds more expansive and complex, teasing out an improved level of detail in low-end texture whilst still pushing forward the bass presence to a satisfying level. The warmth is there but it is not overpowering, in fact, the transparency from the Copper+ with monitors I had not expected to pair well with is surprisingly good."

Read the full review written by @marcusd at
https://headfonics.com/plussound-copper-review/

PlusSound Stay updated on PlusSound at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/plusSound/ https://twitter.com/plussoundaudio http://plussoundaudio.com/
Sep 15, 2021 at 3:09 PM Post #1,524 of 1,759
Took delivery of my X6 (6 wire SPC config) this morning. This is my first PlusSound cable; build quality and fit & finish out-of-the-box is impeccable. Looking forward to see how durable this is over time, but no reason to think it'll be anything less than stellar. I'm starting to rationalize a Copper+ cable for these same IEMs (if I can talk myself into a cable that costs almost as much as the IEM, hahaha).

IMG-0022.jpg

Just wanted to follow-up a month into ownership of my first Plussound cable. I currently have ~100 hours on the cable.

Build quality is top-notch, and that for me is of utmost importance. There is no cheaping-out on components quality here.

Ergonomics for this 6-wire SPC config is very nice as well. I opted for the X6 (exclusive??) half-round braid below the Y-splitter, and twist braid above. Compact, yet flexible.

I am very impressed.

---------

I continue to mull over whether to spend $$ on a Copper+ (in the new Verse series offering) for my Senn IE 900. As someone who normally budgets only 35% of the cost of the transducer for cable upgrade, I am struggling mightily with the idea of spending almost as much on a cable as it cost for the transducer. I'll likely have to pass on the Copper+ upgrade, as that plus the cable I talk about above, would pushes total cable cost significantly > cost of the IE 900. I will admire from afar as the aesthetics (also very important to me) of the Verse Copper+ really is in my wheelhouse.

Sep 15, 2021 at 9:08 PM Post #1,525 of 1,759
Just wanted to follow-up a month into ownership of my first Plussound cable. I currently have ~100 hours on the cable.

Build quality is top-notch, and that for me is of utmost importance. There is no cheaping-out on components quality here.

Ergonomics for this 6-wire SPC config is very nice as well. I opted for the X6 (exclusive??) half-round braid below the Y-splitter, and twist braid above. Compact, yet flexible.

I am very impressed.

---------

I continue to mull over whether to spend $$ on a Copper+ (in the new Verse series offering) for my Senn IE 900. As someone who normally budgets only 35% of the cost of the transducer for cable upgrade, I am struggling mightily with the idea of spending almost as much on a cable as it cost for the transducer. I'll likely have to pass on the Copper+ upgrade, as that plus the cable I talk about above, would pushes total cable cost significantly > cost of the IE 900. I will admire from afar as the aesthetics (also very important to me) of the Verse Copper+ really is in my wheelhouse.

But in theory, you would not be getting a cable just for IE900, but getting a mmcx cable which can be used with other IEMs, like Campfire Audio, FirAudio M-series, Westone, Shure, iBasso, etc.

Sep 16, 2021 at 8:49 PM Post #1,526 of 1,759
I got the copper+ and am mightily happy with it. Pairs with more bass-inclined IEMs well (eg LX SE). I’ve decided to plunge for a PPH8 and I can’t wait to see how it pairs with Erlk and LX :)

Sep 16, 2021 at 9:07 PM Post #1,527 of 1,759
I got the copper+ and am mightily happy with it. Pairs with more bass-inclined IEMs well (eg LX SE). I’ve decided to plunge for a PPH8 and I can’t wait to see how it pairs with Erlk and LX :)
Metaljem

Congrats on pulling the trigger on PPH X8
Not something to do lightly!
I did it and really glad I did as I hear a difference over many cables I own, and it is less pairing centric than the PlusSound Tri-Silver which I also own

Not sure if you believe in Burn-in but for me there was a marked difference in the cable sound for the better after I just let it burn in for just over 100 hours (Sorry know burn-in is one of those things that launches religious wars on head-Fi)

But you won't be disappointed with the PPH!

Sep 16, 2021 at 9:19 PM Post #1,528 of 1,759
Metaljem

Congrats on pulling the trigger on PPH X8
Not something to do lightly!
I did it and really glad I did as I hear a difference over many cables I own, and it is less pairing centric than the PlusSound Tri-Silver which I also own

Not sure if you believe in Burn-in but for me there was a marked difference in the cable sound for the better after I just let it burn in for just over 100 hours (Sorry know burn-in is one of those things that launches religious wars on head-Fi)

But you won't be disappointed with the PPH!
I’ve been reading and researching extensively on PPH and decided to make this an extravagant purchase to get the X8 version. Besides twister’s reviews, I don’t seem to see many reviews on the X8 version. I’m so glad for your reassurance that I won’t be disappointed because this is the max I’m prepared to spend on a cable. I waited for quite some time to see if there is a pre-loved one in classifieds but to no avail. I did hear improvement in sound over time with the copper+ cable but it may be due to my brain burning in to the sound signature hahaha…

Sep 16, 2021 at 9:41 PM Post #1,529 of 1,759
But in theory, you would not be getting a cable just for IE900, but getting a mmcx cable which can be used with other IEMs, like Campfire Audio, FirAudio M-series, Westone, Shure, iBasso, etc.

Does the IE300/900 MMCX plugs work for other generic MMCX IEMs? I always thought there's some compatibility issues with these plugs.

Sep 16, 2021 at 9:59 PM Post #1,530 of 1,759
Does the IE300/900 MMCX plugs work for other generic MMCX IEMs? I always thought there's some compatibility issues with these plugs.
I've wondered the same, and I do have another pair of MMCX IEMs, but they are packaged-up as I have them listed for sale, and don't feel like unpacking to test the fit. Wish I would've thought of doing so before taping everything up, hahaha.

About the only way I can convince myself to spend so much (for the aforementioned Copper+) on a cable upgrade these days is if I KNOW that I'd be able to use it on multiple IEMs in the future......THUS, that also means I am leaning heavily towards modular connection like EA's ConX system (sorry to bring up a competitor here). Unfortunately, I don't like EA cable aesthetics except for their high-end offering, hahahaha. I am so picky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back