Plenue 2 Mk II
Jan 31, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #16 of 111
I stand corrected, pre-orders in France go for 1399€, which is merely 100€ more than MK1.

Pricewise, this is hard to beat for 256Gb capacity and a strong amp section. The only thing coming close would be Astell Kann on paper.
Way to go, Cowon.

The Dignis case alone cost $78. I'm not saying the original P2 leather case was bad, it has an amazing quality on par with Dignis. The problem with it was playback control covered buttons that are not easy to feel, too smooth as you slide finger across. I personally prefer cases with a cutout for transport buttons making them recessed and easier to feel, like in PM2 and PR cases. This new Dignis case has a better definition of imprinted covered buttons. Judging from a picture now, and will report soon when I get my fingers on it.

Internal memory bump is nice, and I'm not sure why Cowon is shy to only mention 256GB uSD card suppord why it should probably support 400GB. Of course, high power BAL out is a big plus to drive full size demanding cans. But I also hope that sound hasn't changed. If you have been looking into buying P2, I think you will have more incentives with upped features and smaller bump in a price to get P2ii. But if you already bought P2 and happy with its performance, then you don't have to torture yourself with a decision about the upgrade. Of course, that's under assumption that sound performance is similar.

Feb 19, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #17 of 111
Still not available although some merchants take pre-orders.
Meanwhile, some merchants are proposing Plenue 2 first version between 900 and 1000€. Which is tempting for a brand new unit.

But the MK2 256Gb ram are making me hold still...

Feb 19, 2018 at 4:42 PM Post #18 of 111
I got P2 mk2 about a week ago, had it on burn in before CanJam NYC, actually took it to CanJam with me this past weekend.

http://cowonglobal.com/product_wide/PLENUE2/product_page_4.php

I will share some side-by-side pictures of both DAPs later today, when I get home after work. In a quick summary, the sound is nearly identical. Also, as everybody already aware, mk2 got more internal storage (doubled from 128GB to 256GB), higher output power in balanced, and new AI section (still need to test it). Also a new color fiinsh (more bling) and hot red Dignis case, pure leather with a metal design insert on the back (and finally, I can feel the imprint of those playback control and power buttons when I slide my finger!!!). The dimensions and interface are identical, and so does the sound tonality. I was a little worried because output impedance went up by an ohm, but it doesn't affect the sound. If you are choosing between these two, mk2 is a small premium to pay for all the upgrades (based on msrp price). If you already have the original P2, in my opinion the upgrade is not really necessary, unless you want the latest and the greatest or can sell your P2 at a good price to finance the upgrade to P2 mk2.

Mar 7, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #20 of 111
any feedback on this new dap

so many daps from cowon, and still I think cowon plenue s is the flagship , was hoping for something to top plenue s

Mar 7, 2018 at 4:18 PM Post #21 of 111
any feedback on this new dap

so many daps from cowon, and still I think cowon plenue s is the flagship , was hoping for something to top plenue s

I have to finish the comparison write up, hopefully next week. Should be a short one.

True, they just announced Plenue V, another budget DAP. Gets a little confusing because you expect a higher alphabet letter to correspond to a higher level of performance. But I think the only thing that going to top PS is PS2.

Mar 7, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #22 of 111
I have to finish the comparison write up, hopefully next week. Should be a short one.

True, they just announced Plenue V, another budget DAP. Gets a little confusing because you expect a higher alphabet letter to correspond to a higher level of performance. But I think the only thing that going to top PS is PS2.

do i sense a ps2 coming soon :)

Mar 7, 2018 at 4:38 PM Post #23 of 111
Mar 7, 2018 at 8:09 PM Post #24 of 111

Wow, I really did not expect to see that Plenue V - for a whole lot of reasons.

Someone on one of these Plenue forums wondered the other day what Cowon were up to with so many releases, and now I’m inclined to agree. From a consumers perspective what’s the difference between the V and the J - both with only 3.5mm audio out (no optical out, no balanced out, no USB DAC function, no Bluetooth), both with comparable high battery life. The only real difference seems the 1Vrms out on the J vs 1.7Vrms on the V - but if you’re looking for a higher output to drive higher impedance headphones the V probably still isn’t high enough. They seem like two products aimed at the same market, released at almost the same time. Why?

Personally, I’m not liking the appearance of the V either, that doesn’t look like an ergonomic or comfortable-in-the-pocket design!

On another note, I find it interesting you both still think of the S as the flagship instead of the P2. Makes me curious, I’ve heard the P1 but not the S or P2.

Mar 7, 2018 at 9:18 PM Post #25 of 111
Wow, I really did not expect to see that Plenue V - for a whole lot of reasons.

Someone on one of these Plenue forums wondered the other day what Cowon were up to with so many releases, and now I’m inclined to agree. From a consumers perspective what’s the difference between the V and the J - both with only 3.5mm audio out (no optical out, no balanced out, no USB DAC function, no Bluetooth), both with comparable high battery life. The only real difference seems the 1Vrms out on the J vs 1.7Vrms on the V - but if you’re looking for a higher output to drive higher impedance headphones the V probably still isn’t high enough. They seem like two products aimed at the same market, released at almost the same time. Why?

Personally, I’m not liking the appearance of the V either, that doesn’t look like an ergonomic or comfortable-in-the-pocket design!

On another note, I find it interesting you both still think of the S as the flagship instead of the P2. Makes me curious, I’ve heard the P1 but not the S or P2.

I never heard PS either, but talked to a few of reviewers whose ears I trust. Back when it was released, PS was a flagship with their "classic" warmer sound of the original Plenue. But who knows how P2 stacks up against PS. For me personally, P2 is great and I use it more than any other DAP because it's very small and very flexible and has a great neutral revealing tonality. It's touch screen interface is among the best too. Plus, volume knob makes it easy for me to quickly adjust when I'm testing/comparing iems with different sensitivity, though it's a PITA in the pocket when you place it volume knob down since HO ports are at the bottom. BUT, in terms of its technical performance with soundstage expansion and layering/separation of the sounds it's below WM1Z and SP1000 SS. I think and hope PS2 will be aiming at the level to match the performance of those other two flagships.

Btw, I was doing more testing with P2 vs P2mk2, and while tonality is the same, mk2 background is blacker, makes the sound tighter and faster (under the same filter setting) with a faster transcient response of note on/off.

Mar 7, 2018 at 10:35 PM Post #26 of 111
I never heard PS either, but talked to a few of reviewers whose ears I trust. Back when it was released, PS was a flagship with their "classic" warmer sound of the original Plenue. But who knows how P2 stacks up against PS. For me personally, P2 is great and I use it more than any other DAP because it's very small and very flexible and has a great neutral revealing tonality. It's touch screen interface is among the best too. Plus, volume knob makes it easy for me to quickly adjust when I'm testing/comparing iems with different sensitivity, though it's a PITA in the pocket when you place it volume knob down since HO ports are at the bottom. BUT, in terms of its technical performance with soundstage expansion and layering/separation of the sounds it's below WM1Z and SP1000 SS. I think and hope PS2 will be aiming at the level to match the performance of those other two flagships.

Btw, I was doing more testing with P2 vs P2mk2, and while tonality is the same, mk2 background is blacker, makes the sound tighter and faster (under the same filter setting) with a faster transcient response of note on/off.

You said knob he he he

bald-knob.gif

Mar 8, 2018 at 2:00 AM Post #27 of 111

Nice, interesting to hear the separation is below the WM1Z and SP1000. I’ve been thinking about my DAP/DAC setups and have been looking for a change/upgrade from a Plenue M. Finally decided to go with the ZX300, in many ways out of curiosity to see how a new Sony DAP sounds to my ears.

But I’ll also save up for another TOTL-style option and the P2 mk II definitely interests me.

I started wondering more about the release of the Plenue V and thought maybe Cowon are going back to the approach they had with the iAudio range - which were a selection of cheaper players that, being a bit harshly honest, didn’t really offer too much difference between them.

Mar 8, 2018 at 7:18 AM Post #28 of 111
Who wants to buy me a mk II? This looks perfect but way out of my price range, here's hoping I find some money.

I think the Plenue J is the sexiest looking DAP for me, the P2 mkII is coming in at an appropriate number 2.

Mar 8, 2018 at 7:34 AM Post #29 of 111
I'm not sure why Cowon is shy to only mention 256GB uSD card suppord why it should probably support 400GB.

This is confusing, has anyone checked to confirm it can take 400gb or even 512gb cards? I would have thought so but good to get confirmation on that. This image from their Global website is very confusing, states max 512gb (256 + 256) but then states that the external memory is expandable "for up to 512gb of expanded storage via microSD card slot":

max.PNG

Mar 8, 2018 at 10:48 AM Post #30 of 111
Nice, interesting to hear the separation is below the WM1Z and SP1000. I’ve been thinking about my DAP/DAC setups and have been looking for a change/upgrade from a Plenue M. Finally decided to go with the ZX300, in many ways out of curiosity to see how a new Sony DAP sounds to my ears.

But I’ll also save up for another TOTL-style option and the P2 mk II definitely interests me.

I started wondering more about the release of the Plenue V and thought maybe Cowon are going back to the approach they had with the iAudio range - which were a selection of cheaper players that, being a bit harshly honest, didn’t really offer too much difference between them.

P2/mkII definitely on a flagship level, and i'm sure some might not even notice too much of drastic changes when compared to other flagships. All depends on your hearing level, experience with other DAPs, headphones you are using, etc.

Btw, Plenue V looks too exotic.

plenue_v2.jpg plenue_v1.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back