Jan 24, 2018 at 7:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 111

kel77

500+ Head-Fier
ii_area_02.png

ii_area_10.jpg

ii_area_52.png

http://plenue.cowon.com/product/PLENUE2/product_page_7.php
http://plenue.cowon.com/product/PLENUE2/product_page_7.php
Cowon just updated their Plenue 2 to Mk II.
It has now bigger storage (256GB), larger balanced output (3.24 Vrms )and longer battery life (up to 10.5hrs)

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2018 at 12:55 PM Post #3 of 111
Cowon just updated their Plenue 2 to Mk II.
It has now bigger storage (256GB), larger balanced output (3.24 Vrms )and longer battery life (up to 10.5hrs)
At last!!!! 256Gb finally makes Plenue 2 a high-end DAP.

Let's hope they keep the price sub-2000$ otherwise I don't see the point.

Jan 25, 2018 at 6:43 AM Post #4 of 111
hope cowon is not in the shadle of ak, keep launching enhanced models.
i just bought mine last dec, holy s........t.

Jan 25, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #6 of 111
Saw from Facebook and I am new to this hobby, why some want cowon to have a dual dac and good amp even though they have seen the new spec. To me, it seems no point for me to upgrade my p2 to r.
Who else gets dual dac? What's good for?
Please kindly advise

Jan 25, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #7 of 111
1,790,000 KRW directly converts to about USD1,500-1,600
It does seem very honest, but we usually get the hammer in EU, that could translate into 1800€ with VAT...

Honestly, this is an actual killer at this price with this capacity and autonomy.
Too bad they didn't revise the ergonomy, the output connectors should DEFINITELY be on the top side next to the potentiometers. Using 3 sides of the DAP was a bad design decision, although it could be much worse.

Jan 29, 2018 at 7:07 PM Post #8 of 111
http://www.cowonglobal.com/product_wide/PLENUE2/product_page_4.php - now in English, good side by side comparison of P2 vs P2ii spec, as you scroll down.

Looks to me like a refresh/optimization with some very noticeable improvements: 256GB internal bump from 128GB, 3.24Vrms BAL out (also bump to 2.6 ohm output impedance), bump to 10.5hr battery (from 9hr), improved crosstalk spec, new chassis color, and now with a premium Dignis designer case. I would expect the same tonality, since DAC is the same and I don't think they are changing head-amp section, just optimizing the performance. If indeed the price remains the same, this is very impressive. Will see if I can get it in for review to compare to the original P2.

Jan 29, 2018 at 7:11 PM Post #9 of 111
http://www.cowonglobal.com/product_wide/PLENUE2/product_page_4.php - now in English, good side by side comparison of P2 vs P2ii spec, as you scroll down.

Looks to me like a refresh/optimization with some very noticeable improvements: 256GB internal bump from 128GB, 3.24Vrms BAL out (also bump to 2.6 ohm output impedance), bump to 10.5hr battery (from 9hr), improved crosstalk spec, new chassis color, and now with a premium Dignis designer case. I would expect the same tonality, since DAC is the same and I don't think they are changing head-amp section, just optimizing the performance. If indeed the price remains the same, this is very impressive. Will see if I can get it in for review to compare to the original P2.

I was not overly impressed by the original P2, sounded too much like the P1. I am hoping this one is a bit more resolving and crisp.

Jan 29, 2018 at 7:24 PM Post #10 of 111
I was not overly impressed by the original P2, sounded too much like the P1. I am hoping this one is a bit more resolving and crisp.

I can't comment on P1 vs P2 comparison since I never heard the P1, but everyboy refers to P1 as having a warmer fuller body sound (?!?), while I find P2 to be dead-on neutral, a little brighter tonality, quite resolving and transparent (though, it won't match the layering of LPG, but LPG has a stronger mid-bass impact and crisper treble). P2 is currently my reference DAP for IEM reviews, zero coloring. I need to hear P1.

Jan 30, 2018 at 1:22 AM Post #12 of 111
I can't comment on P1 vs P2 comparison since I never heard the P1, but everyboy refers to P1 as having a warmer fuller body sound (?!?), while I find P2 to be dead-on neutral, a little brighter tonality, quite resolving and transparent (though, it won't match the layering of LPG, but LPG has a stronger mid-bass impact and crisper treble). P2 is currently my reference DAP for IEM reviews, zero coloring. I need to hear P1.

I would not call the P1 warm, it is slightly smoothed :wink:

The P1 was spacious and smooth, not warm, just not very edgy / crisp. Works well with edgier / sharper sounding IEMs like...maybe KS1500 or NT6, less so with smoother iems like VE8. I listen to the P2 only very briefly with my SE5U and it was not balanced. Sounded less good than the LPG single ended on the SE5, but neutral presentations tend to be boring at first, so there is that. The P2 could be interesting because the size / UI / Power package seems nice.

Jan 30, 2018 at 6:40 AM Post #13 of 111
Should have review unit/loaner in a few weeks. Main focus will be to compare P2ii to P2. Btw, though I wasn't able to confirm the final price, Cowon mentioned it will be higher then current P2. Makes sense.

Internal storage update is a plus, but I'm more interested in a power bump of balanced output. P2 bal vs se had the same power output and not too much of a difference in sound, more of a convenience when you invested into balanced cables already. Now, going from 2V to 3.24V is a noticeable jump in power.

Jan 30, 2018 at 3:43 PM Post #14 of 111
Should have review unit/loaner in a few weeks. Main focus will be to compare P2ii to P2. Btw, though I wasn't able to confirm the final price, Cowon mentioned it will be higher then current P2. Makes sense.

Internal storage update is a plus, but I'm more interested in a power bump of balanced output. P2 bal vs se had the same power output and not too much of a difference in sound, more of a convenience when you invested into balanced cables already. Now, going from 2V to 3.24V is a noticeable jump in power.
Great, I’d be curious to know how the AI features and AI JetEffect work/sound, as these are new to the mk II. I’m intrigued by the concept but wonder how well an algorithm could pick an EQ and effect setting that would sound good.

I was picking they’d update the Plenue S next, didn’t see a P2 mk II coming.

Jan 31, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #15 of 111
I stand corrected, pre-orders in France go for 1399€, which is merely 100€ more than MK1.

Pricewise, this is hard to beat for 256Gb capacity and a strong amp section. The only thing coming close would be Astell Kann on paper.
Way to go, Cowon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back