Pleather vs Leather: Debunking the durability myth.
May 25, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #16 of 65
I think it's simple, old Fostex T50RP pads = old type, flaking plastic leather. Newer, bass improved pads for the T50RP = good quality plastic leather, and I don't see them fail on me anytime soon. They do not feel cheap. And I don't see me having trouble with them anytime soon. SHR840 pads are of the same pleather too.

Scratch resistance, jackets?

You guys just want the luxury of the real thing. I don't think leather holds up so nicely with time, at least not my wallet. I mean yes it will survive, but it will become dry, brittle, discolored, cracked, with time.

I'm more on the side of the OP frankly.

Fostex TH900 also has superior eggshell membrane protein pads (no it's not vegan either, lol), Idemitsu's Grand Cuir, used in automotive. That thing performed better than real leather in comfort tests, calorific transfer and temperature- and humidity- wise.

I'm wondering about these Stax pads http://www.ebay.com/itm/STAX-Earpads-for-SR-007A-Series-Pair-BLACK-Ear-Pads-/200751529773?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item2ebdb93f2d#ht_2878wt_1110

"Hand made with real sheepskin leather for the ear contact part, [comfort, less heat]
high-quality artificial leather for surrounding parts" (control of the sound, durability when compressed and decompressed lots of time)

Wouldn't that be the best of both world?

I don't you absolutely need harsh chemicals to wash leather, as long as you wash away the sweat after each use with a damp cloth, seems to me like you should be good for years.

My absolute favorite pads are the one made from foam.

May 26, 2012 at 2:07 AM Post #18 of 65
Quote:

You guys just want the luxury of the real thing. I don't think leather holds up so nicely with time, at least not my wallet. I mean yes it will survive, but it will become dry, brittle, discolored, cracked, with time.

I must have missed the bit where chemically treated cowskin is luxurious...
I too have a leather wallet, have for many years, it's never done any of the things you mentioned, but I do live in a humid, temperate climate, so that might make a difference.

May 26, 2012 at 2:47 AM Post #19 of 65
Quote:
I must have missed the bit where chemically treated cowskin is luxurious...
I too have a leather wallet, have for many years, it's never done any of the things you mentioned, but I do live in a humid, temperate climate, so that might make a difference.

Yes, people considers animal skin luxurious... luxurious enough... as long as it's the most costly (except for Sennheiser's microfiber) I wouldn't expect the contrary, and because it comes only on the most expensive headphones (which is also considered part of the luxury package, an Edition 10 for example).

I was more thinking of your belt example for that part of my own example, that would become brittle, dry and cracked.

My wallet still looks fairly nice actually :/ 

May 29, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #20 of 65
Wow lot of info in this thread. My Monitor 10 I believe have pleather pads, and while they aren't torn, they're very flat. I don't mind the flatness at all, I was just always wondering how long they might last before dissolving into nothing (if that even happens with pleather?). So far they haven't shown any signs of deterioration since when I got them a few months ago. I sweat a lot, so I was always concerned of the sweat ruining my pads. Hopefully they have a few more years on them before they turn into nothing.

Jul 14, 2012 at 9:21 AM Post #23 of 65
Just this week I suddenly realized that dried styling paste from my hair had gooped up on to the pleather padding across the headband of my HD-380 Pros. I panicked for a moment but was surprised to find that the gunk easily wiped away with a slightly damn cloth. I imagine leather would have been more problematic. Thanks, Sennheiser!

Jul 14, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #25 of 65
Quote:
Lastly, I'd rather have suede ("vegan pads") or similar pads than pretend leather the same way I don't like plastic devices painted silver to be pretend metal: trying to be something it isn't.

I call that the "margarine approach."

se

Jul 14, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #26 of 65
Quote:
Oh...NOW you tell me. And here I'd gone and ruined seven pairs of headphones due to water damage from using dripping wet cloths while trying to wipe off the pleather.
rolleyes.gif

wink_face.gif

Jul 23, 2012 at 3:36 AM Post #27 of 65
I always washed my Fostex T50RP's pads after long usage with a damn cloth, and I've been doing the same with my Kotori 201 (~~Creative Aurvana Live!) but the latter's black pleather pads already begun scrapping off and basically a few white opened "pores" started appearing, and I'm pretty sure it's because of the water, (and only about 4 swipes!) :frowning2:. You know, water is humid but it makes things become dry! it's doing the same to my naturally very dry skin

Since then I only use completely dry cotton cloth (to absorb the light sweating, to try to counter dried sweat layers accumulation) or a Kleenex if I have nothing else, on my pleather... and to wash myself, lol just kidding on that one

Jul 24, 2012 at 5:09 AM Post #28 of 65
Quote:
I always washed my Fostex T50RP's pads after long usage with a damn cloth, and I've been doing the same with my Kotori 201 (~~Creative Aurvana Live!) but the latter's black pleather pads already begun scrapping off and basically a few white opened "pores" started appearing, and I'm pretty sure it's because of the water, (and only about 4 swipes!) :frowning2:. You know, water is humid but it makes things become dry! it's doing the same to my naturally very dry skin

Since then I only use completely dry cotton cloth (to absorb the light sweating, to try to counter dried sweat layers accumulation) or a Kleenex if I have nothing else, on my pleather... and to wash myself, lol just kidding on that one

"I always washed my Fostex T50RP's pads after long usage with a damn cloth", where did you get that type of cloth ? i need to bye one lolol 
biggrin.gif

Jul 24, 2012 at 5:19 AM Post #30 of 65
If you've ever had old Mercedes back when they still had MB-tex seats (vinyl-ish material), you'll know the answer: way more durable than leather. I've had two of these 29+ year old cars, and there was no comparison. I'll pick synthetic anytime (assuming Germans were involved) :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back