Please recommend a solid CD player - max. $1700
Feb 5, 2014 at 10:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Claritas

Headphoneus Supremus
My old Harman Kardon CD player bought in c. 2000 finally died last night. R.I.P. old friend. So I need to buy a new CD player.

I would be most grateful for any helpful advice.

Price range: hypothetically up to $1700 (taxes included), but I'd rather not go much over a thousand if I can avoid it.

I want this player to last.

I'd like it to have a sufficiently powerful headphone jack that I can be lazy about using an amp, but I don't know if I should consider that a necessity. Any thoughts? Note: I don't use speakers.

Ideally, I'm looking for a double disc model because some classical works are packaged as two-disc sets, but it's not strictly necessary.

It would be nice if I could play a DAP through it, but that's really not necessary.

I don't need to be able to play SACD.

Some of the models I've started looking into are Marantz CD5004, Marantz CD6005, Marantz SA8004/5, and Sony SCD-XA5400ES.

General question: What will the more expensive models give me that something like Marantz CD5004 can't?

I welcome your suggestions and observations.

Feb 5, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #2 of 31
  My old Harman Kardon CD player bought in c. 2000 finally died last night. R.I.P. old friend. So I need to buy a new CD player.

I would be most grateful for any helpful advice.

Price range: hypothetically up to $1700 (taxes included), but I'd rather not go much over a thousand if I can avoid it.

I want this player to last.

I'd like it to have a sufficiently powerful headphone jack that I can be lazy about using an amp, but I don't know if I should consider that a necessity. Any thoughts? Note: I don't use speakers.

Ideally, I'm looking for a double disc model because some classical works are packaged as two-disc sets, but it's not strictly necessary.

It would be nice if I could play a DAP through it, but that's really not necessary.

I don't need to be able to play SACD.

Some of the models I've started looking into are Marantz CD5004, Marantz CD6005, Marantz SA8004/5, and Sony SCD-XA5400ES.

General question: What will the more expensive models give me that something like Marantz CD5004 can't?

Without question - best sounding best value (unless you want to spend $1700...lol)

http://www.whathifi.com/review/marantz-cd6005

Feb 5, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #3 of 31
Feb 5, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #4 of 31
Admittedly I've not tried the models you've mentioned above but I moved from my aging Marantz DV9500 to an Oppo BDP-105 and am quite happy with it. If you have the time, may I recommend  that you consider researching into the BDP-105 too? Would be keen to hear what you find in comparison to the other models you mentioned.

Feb 5, 2014 at 11:36 PM Post #5 of 31
  Admittedly I've not tried the models you've mentioned above but I moved from my aging Marantz DV9500 to an Oppo BDP-105 and am quite happy with it. If you have the time, may I recommend  that you consider researching into the BDP-105 too? Would be keen to hear what you find in comparison to the other models you mentioned.

Thank you. That looks like a good choice too. And I see it has a headphone jack. I'll look into it.

Feb 8, 2014 at 6:10 AM Post #6 of 31
I too am in the market, and it's come down to the OPPO and the Sony mentioned here. From all I have gathered from very informed opinions so far the
Sony is said to reveal as much detail on CD's as anything else out there at any price.

Feb 8, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #7 of 31
  I too am in the market, and it's come down to the OPPO and the Sony mentioned here. From all I have gathered from very informed opinions so far the
Sony is said to reveal as much detail on CD's as anything else out there at any price.

Assuming the Sony is not adding anything extra and extracting and presenting the CD data as it is, is it a bad thing? Would that then be the issue of the CD rather than the player? Or have I misunderstood the scenario?

Feb 8, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #9 of 31
  I too am in the market, and it's come down to the OPPO and the Sony mentioned here. From all I have gathered from very informed opinions so far the Sony is said to reveal as much detail on CD's as anything else out there at any price.

Are you interested in them because they play SACD or for another reason?

Feb 8, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #10 of 31

I own a CD5004 and an Oppo105 (I realize it's not on your list). What's the difference? Much more clarity, detail, resolution, and petty much everything else under the sun. This, within the context of a high-resolution system (not headphone-driven). Comparing both on my desktop system, the (sonic) differences are minor. If your amp is an O2, as per your profile, go for the 5004. Good luck.

Feb 8, 2014 at 5:55 PM Post #11 of 31
I own a CD5004 and an Oppo105 (I realize it's not on your list). What's the difference? Much more clarity, detail, resolution, and petty much everything else under the sun. This, within the context of a high-resolution system (not headphone-driven). Comparing both on my desktop system, the (sonic) differences are minor. If your amp is an O2, as per your profile, go for the 5004. Good luck.

Honestly ? The Oppo is highly regarded but so too is the new Marantz at half the cost...Both with solid track records...not so much on the Sony whose quality control has become awful.

Feb 8, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #12 of 31
Honestly ? The Oppo is highly regarded but so too is the new Marantz at half the cost...Both with solid track records...not so much on the Sony whose quality control has become awful.

Just to be clear, I'm not recommending the Oppo to the OP. Yes, both players are highly regraded within their receptive price ranges . Stereophile ranks one as class-A and the other as class-C. There's a reason for that. That being said, one needs a system with sufficient resolution to hear it. Like I said, on my desk with AE A5+ there isn't a whole lot of difference to be found. YMMV

Edit: clarification

Feb 8, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #13 of 31

Thank you for your input. I don't understand everything above. Are you saying that I would need a better amp in order to access the benefits of the Oppo or another more expensive player? (If so, what did you have in mind?)

Besides that, would you say that either is noticeably dark or bright?

Feb 8, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #14 of 31
Or is it a matter of speakers vs. headphones? (Sorry for the double post.)

Feb 8, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #15 of 31

Yes, you would need a better amp to reap the benefits of a better player. I'm afraid I can't suggest much, as my personal experience with HP amps is somewhat limited. I can say, however, that both the Corda Concerto and Violectric V200 that I own offer a substantially higher level of performance, having auditioned an O2. I know there are a lot of O2 fans here and I don't want to open a rat's nest. Let's just say that I found it barely acceptable.

As for bright or dark, I'm assuming you're referring to the tonal balance, the 5004 can vary its based on which of the 3 SQ (if you will) settings you choose. Not a night and day difference, but noticeable. In a very general sense, it's not overly bright sounding.

Speakers vs headphones - I was hoping to introduce the notion of resolution, not the transducer in itself. My main system will resolve the proverbial wart on a gnat's ass. The desk system, not so much; the sonic differences are stifled to a large extent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back