Please pray for Kina
Mar 4, 2005 at 11:49 AM Post #62 of 74
JMT -

Sorry for your loss.

I lost my boyhood buddy, Cam, a Black Lab, at age 10 (I was 19). I had to put him down a week before I went off to military Academy, due to heart trouble.

Our present loving pet, Jet, is now 10...she is a Black Lab.

I/We know some of where you are going, and I have been some of where you are...

When your time comes, Kina will greet you...all will be right again...

Best,

Guy

Mar 4, 2005 at 1:54 PM Post #63 of 74
Thank you all so much for your words of encouragement, this is one of the most compassionate forums on the web. You yahoos are something special.

I know we made the right decision. Kina's condition had deteriorated quite rapidly in the 24 hours that we were considering other treatment. The vet even suggested transporting her to the U.C. Davis Veterinary Hospital for more tests and to stabilize her for a spleenectomy (sp) and removal of the spot on her liver, but we did not want to put her through that. I can swear that when the time came she nuzzled my wife (they were best buddies) and her tail wagged just a bit.

She and we are at peace now.

Mar 4, 2005 at 2:37 PM Post #64 of 74
I'm very sorry about your loss. I had a total of about 4 dogs live with my family even though I'm only 20 years old and I understand your pain. Just remember them and everything will be alright.

Also caring for another dog soon after might be a good idea as it keeps you busy with the dog thing. As seeing all of the "unused" pet toys/products around the house just hurts....

Mar 4, 2005 at 2:38 PM Post #65 of 74
Kina sure had a good Mom and Dad.
frown.gif

Mar 4, 2005 at 3:34 PM Post #66 of 74
so sad to lose a member of the family...

frown.gif

Mar 4, 2005 at 4:00 PM Post #67 of 74
I'm so sorry about the loss of your dog.Being someone who has three dogs,I know the pain you must be feeling.They really do become members of yourfamily.

Mar 4, 2005 at 4:01 PM Post #68 of 74
Thank you for sharing a little bit of Kina with us. I'm sorry for your loss, because through your story, I felt a little bit of what you lost. My truest condolences.

-Jason

Mar 4, 2005 at 7:55 PM Post #69 of 74
I am truly sorry for your loss, just know that if you and your wife truly loved her, you should have no regrets. Kina probably lived a very blessed and pampered life. I just read through all the posts and had a good cry for all my departed loved ones.

I remember when my current dog Ginger had to have several absyss (sp?) removed and I didn't think she was going to make it. She could barely walk for a few days afterward and I had to sleep next to her bed as she would wake up crying every hour or so. But it worked out OK and now I don't let a day go by without spending time with her.

Mar 4, 2005 at 11:17 PM Post #70 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Genetic
I was secretely hoping for another outcome.

Sorry for your loss.

Amicalement

So was I.
frown.gif
After you've grieved a bit, you'll realize that Kina would never ever want you to be sad on her account. I wish there was something anyone here could say, but it's at these times when words don't mean much.
frown.gif

Mar 4, 2005 at 11:28 PM Post #71 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Is there some sort of etiquette for how long before a "replacement" pet (yes, there really is no such thing) is adopted?

I know our dog is getting closer and closer to the end, she is quite old and has been getting more frequent medical problems.

My wife owned this dog before we even met, so it will be devasting for her moreso. Just wondering how soon is too soon to get another dog, or if there is such as thing as too soon.

-Ed

To add a little levity through tears..

After we lost our Cocker Spaniel, I had told mom, about getting another dog, that this dog would be different. It would have its own personality, it's own little quirks, its own favorite sleeping spots, its own favorite toys. Mom couldn't believe me through her grief.

So a month later, I called home from college and heard dad say "get down!" I said "Hey, you got a puppy didn't you??" So with the promise of seeing a cute puppy, a friend and I made a quick trip back home. When I was home that weekend, you know what mom said to this little 8 week old loving puppy, looking at mom with adoring eyes? She held him up and said "I like you, but I don't love you." (said in a kind tone of voice) Of course he gave her a look that said "I love you mommy" and licked her nose.

Beau is 10 now, and I still remind him of this emotional abuse.
wink.gif

And I was right. He is different from their first dog in every way. And having our first dog has taught me to appreciate him even more. He's probably one of the things I miss most about not being home.

Dachshunds can live a very long time, often to a spry and playful 18. I hope that Beau and Pixel are one of those lucky ones.

Mar 10, 2005 at 5:44 AM Post #72 of 74
JMT,
I'm very sorry to hear of this sad news. I'm sorry to learn of your loss.

Mar 10, 2005 at 2:42 PM Post #73 of 74
Sorry man.
We have an aging Golden Retriever named Phoebe who has been our constant companion for almost 9 yrs. She goes to work w/ me and is always close by; if I go to another room she follows. She can't stand not to be near her humans.
I'm dreading the time that we lose her. It will be especially tough for my 3 1/2 yr old daughter as Phoebe has always been with us since my daughter was born.
I have lost other dear pets and know how it is.
Time heals all wounds and someday (hopefully soon) you'll be able to remember her without the sadness.
CPW

Mar 10, 2005 at 3:25 PM Post #74 of 74
It sounds like Kina got the best care you could give, so maybe she's up there giving you good karma. Dogs can really read a situation well, so it's nice that your last meeting was a tender one. I'm sure she appreciated the effort. I remember how affectionate my dog got days before she passed on, and it's a memory to cherish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back