Please help, Wanting Best Headphones for DJ'ing (closed design), Must have an extreme amount of lof frequency bass :), anything under a thousand,
Jul 23, 2010 at 8:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

reminence

100+ Head-Fier
Hi Guys,

I have owned Heaps of typical DJ headphones over the years and my last Audio Technica ath700 pro's are failing in one ear and now i need an upgrade/replacement!

I want the best headphones for Dj'ing and unfortunately the top of the range headphones will lack the amount of bass I'm looking for, namely the hdj2000's. So due to this problem I have decided to explore the rest of the closed headphones available (non dj design). When i DJ, at most i move one earphone off to the side an nothing else fancy, so I should be able to get away with normal closed and well isolating headphones.

I own a pair of Senhiezer IE8 in ear monitors and love them to bits, if the bass know could go further than the maximum i would make it do so!!! I love my bass but really only the non punchy low stuff below 60hz and would love to find this in a great pair of headphones. I am looking for a good quality sound as well but predominantly looking for that bass. A headphone that is similar to the IE8's with the bass know on full would be sorta what im looking for.

Lastly they need to be quite sturdy as i use them heaps and they get carried around a lot.

Listing requirements in order of preferance

- Bass 10-80hz must be very very prominent
- closed design, great at isolating sound
- great soundstage and overall clarity
- sturdy construction (built to last)
- look pretty awesome!!

So what do you think I should be looking at?

Jul 23, 2010 at 1:13 PM Post #3 of 10
There are really only 3 companies that make high-end closed phones:

Ultrasone
Denon
Audio Technica

Audio-Technica headphones are great, but not bass-heavy. So check out Denon and Ultrasone. Though they have great powerful bass, I'm not sure if ny of them are bass-heavy.

Jul 23, 2010 at 1:21 PM Post #4 of 10
The Shure 750 is also supposed to be a great choice for bass-heavy, good sound.

Jul 24, 2010 at 1:38 AM Post #6 of 10
Ok so far I'm considering the AT es10 and sw70 the shure 740dj's and the GMP's

I am leaning towards the ES10 as i have heard great things and that it has twice the amount of bass as the sw70 which is similar to the absurd sony xb700 (in bass quantity) Is this the best option?

which of these naturally has the highest volume low frequency bass (not mid bass which i hate..) without compromising the rest of the frequency scale too much?

which of these would be best?

Jul 24, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #7 of 10
From what I understand, the AT ES10 isn't the best in the isolation department. A DJ friend speaks highly of the Sennheiser HD25s, pretty well synonymous with sturdy build quality and a lot of folks mention the quality of the isolation for a headphone that doesn't have noise canceling.

Jul 24, 2010 at 2:00 AM Post #8 of 10
Hmm..

Im not sure if the isolation will be a huge difference the more i think about it its more the sound signature that im looking for and therefore leaning towards the ws70 / es10. If the either AT's can be modded to add extra isolation im sure i will do it though.

One thing I can say is that I utterly hate the hd25's and personally they sound tinny and lack so much bass for my taste!

Jul 24, 2010 at 2:30 AM Post #9 of 10
M50 hits all your requirements except great soundstage, but that's near impossible in a closed phone with bass. I hear the 750DJ might be what your looking for as well.

Quote:
Listing requirements in order of preferance

- Bass 10-80hz must be very very prominent
- closed design, great at isolating sound
- great soundstage and overall clarity
- sturdy construction (built to last)
- look pretty awesome!!

So what do you think I should be looking at?

Jul 24, 2010 at 3:49 AM Post #10 of 10
hmm..

Looking at the headroom frequency graphs I love the look of the sony XB700's but from what i have heard they don't have the mid and high quality to go with the massive bass!

How do you think the sw70 and es10 bass compare with the XB frequency graph?

The thing i love most about the XB graph is the fact that it looks like it extends very deep without loosing volume or rolling off like others do and that very low frequency is what I am looking for.

moz-screenshot-3.png
moz-screenshot-4.png
moz-screenshot-5.png

moz-screenshot.png
moz-screenshot-1.png
moz-screenshot-2.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back