Please help us deal with SPAM POSTS.
Feb 5, 2009 at 1:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

mbriant

Headphoneus Supremus
Sadly, spam posting appears to be getting worse everywhere. I've spoken to people at other sites and they too have noticed an increase in these PITAs.

We rely on the membership to report this spam to the moderating staff as soon as it's spotted so we can remove it quickly. Many have been doing so, and for that we thank you. However, when you notice a spam post, it would be greatly appreciated if you simply post "reported" in the thread and immediately report it to us. That way others will know it's been reported and a duplication of effort will be prevented.

Also, please don't post additional spam-related comments, jokes, or photos in the thread as that just clutters the thread further and makes more work for the moderator who responds to clean it up.

Thanks again.

Feb 5, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #2 of 25
mbriant, sorry about posting photos, I didn't know it makes extra work for you guys. And I'll keep reporting them.

One site I belong to has a 24 hour waiting period between registration and being allowed to post. Maybe a similar scheme would help here.

Also, thanks for the behind-the-scenes work here. It is appreciated, though you probably don't hear it often enough.

Feb 5, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #3 of 25
I have to bump this right now because at the moment there is a spam thread with a suspicious link in it. Beware!

Feb 5, 2009 at 4:27 AM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by majid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Er, where exactly do we report spam? I have wanted to in the past, but could not find a link.

Use the button with !! in it underneath the poster's name.

Feb 5, 2009 at 5:47 AM Post #6 of 25
I sympathise with the spam issue. On my forum, we've installed a couple of plug-ins that make things much easier, including one that allows mods to wipe out spammers and their threads and posts with a single click, as well as one that auto-unapproves posts from new members if they have email addresses or links in their first post.

If you'd like some suggestions about ways to deal with spam, drop me a line.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 5, 2009 at 6:18 AM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by jellojoe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Use the button with !! in it underneath the poster's name.

Correct. Look to the left. Under each user's Profile and IM Contacts (if appropriate), there are either 3 or 4 small buttons. The !! (report post) button will be either the 2nd or 3rd button from the left. Click on that blue button in connection with the post that needs to be reported.

Feb 5, 2009 at 6:29 AM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Correct. Look to the left. Under each user's Profile and IM Contacts (if appropriate), there are either 3 or 4 small buttons. The !! (report post) button will be either the 2nd or 3rd button from the left. Click on that blue button in connection with the post that needs to be reported.

So that's what the exclamation button is for! I thought that was the patriot act button

Feb 5, 2009 at 6:33 AM Post #9 of 25
The other day I saw some fairly graphic spam on here and I tried to report it but it didn't seem to work... It just hung up when I pressed submit.

I hope this is fixed now.

Feb 5, 2009 at 6:40 AM Post #10 of 25
I've often wondered how to report a spam post, as they've been popping up every other day or so it seems. Thanks.
Aloha
atsmile.gif

Headphile808

Feb 5, 2009 at 7:58 AM Post #11 of 25
ya there's this button
report.gif

under everyone's profile name.

lot of pr0n spammers also..

i reported around 3 spammers in 2 days.

Feb 5, 2009 at 9:00 AM Post #12 of 25
I found it takes a while for reported posts to go through once you hit "send", both on the old and new servers.

Feb 5, 2009 at 9:12 AM Post #14 of 25
Yeah, I have noticed a lot of them lately.
...and report every one I notice.

Did not know that pictures clutter it up for you. So a clean "Reported" it will be from now on.
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back