Please help picking my next headphone set (full-size, closed, somewhat like DT770)
Jul 19, 2010 at 7:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

uOpt

New Head-Fier
    Anybody likes to make a recommendation what to try next?

I am mostly listening to civilized forms of metal, some rock, singer/songwriter and occasional country.

Here's my history of headphones:

* Current favorites: DT-770, but a little too boomy, in particular at high volumes. Like the closed sit and general quality. Not enough punch in the area where distorted guitars sit.
* Runner up: Proline 650, but too microphonic, not really comfortable, too much noise to the outside and a little thin.
* Sennheiser HD-250 (not II): best with distorted guitars among what I have but overall a little flat sounding.  Great Bass, though.  Don't like the quality, thing falls apart.
*  AKG K240 Monitor: great analytical mids but not much else.
*  AKG 271 Mk II: horrible.  Way too closed soundstage. Sold instantly.

I did have a Denon AHD7000 for a couple days. It was better than any of the above.  However, like the DT770 it didn't have quite enough punch with distorted guitars.  I would be willing to drop $700 for something that is perfect but alas they aren't quite there so I will make another stop on the way and that's why I asking what to try.  I think I might find something in the $200-$300 range.

I have one of those Bravo Audio tube amps and a FiiO.

Thinking of trying Grado or ATH.  Model? Something else?

[P.S. what's up with this horrible new forum software package?]

Jul 19, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #2 of 8
How about the Ultrasone Pro 900? It should be similar to the 650 in terms of bass quality, and more comfortable (velour pads). Not so much in the isolation department, though. It's hard to get something that isolates noise well and is comfortable/non-sweaty. I would go for a Grado headphone to try as well, for some more midrange punch. Maybe start with one of their middle offerings, such as the SR80i or the SR125i? Note that, the Grados are open cans and won't isolate noise, and you'll have noise leakage.

Jul 20, 2010 at 11:26 AM Post #3 of 8
Are the Ultrasone Pro 900 a little less microphonic than the 650s? That is really bad with the 650s.

I gotta say that the Denons look more and more attractive since most of the remaining options are open. Hm....

Apr 22, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #8 of 8
If you really liked AH-D7000, you should go for AH-D5000 (or even AH-D2000).  Their signatures are much more similar than they are different.  D7000 has slightly better bass & mids, but I prefer the tamer treble of D5000.  I tried a bunch of closed headphones valued between $100-$450 and D5000 were my favorite for sound

But most all open headphones I've heard sound better than the Denons so avoid closed heaphones unless you absolutely need them for isolation.  Which Denons actually don't do very well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back