Please help! Need amazing headphones for Classic Rock. Not happy with AKG K550s
Aug 5, 2012 at 11:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

wildwood

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I purchased a pair of AKG K550s for listening to classic rock, but I'm not at all satisfied with the bass. Theres not much at all. I love the clarity and soundstage, but I also love good bass too. I need headphones with the whole mix. I need a good combo of clarity and punch ( I guess everyone does?).

I may also be approching this wrong. Maybe I need an amp for the K550s? What do you do when you purchase expensive headphones, love everything they offer but the bass? I feel like if I purchase another set, they would lack something that I loved about the K550s.

Also, I love the soundstage of these as well (I believe thats the correct term).. They sounded like they "surrounded my mind" with the music, vs just shooting the audio into my ear.

I'd be interested in hearing suggestions for any price range. Preferably less than $500, but if I have to pay more to get the sound I want, then I will.

I really don't want headphones that lack in any department and sound amazing with Classic Rock. 

Thanks!

-Mike

Aug 6, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #2 of 19

Quote:
Hi all,

I purchased a pair of AKG K550s for listening to classic rock, but I'm not at all satisfied with the bass. Theres not much at all. I love the clarity and soundstage, but I also love good bass too. I need headphones with the whole mix. I need a good combo of clarity and punch ( I guess everyone does?).

I may also be approching this wrong. Maybe I need an amp for the K550s? What do you do when you purchase expensive headphones, love everything they offer but the bass? I feel like if I purchase another set, they would lack something that I loved about the K550s.

Also, I love the soundstage of these as well (I believe thats the correct term).. They sounded like they "surrounded my mind" with the music, vs just shooting the audio into my ear.

I'd be interested in hearing suggestions for any price range. Preferably less than $500, but if I have to pay more to get the sound I want, then I will.

I really don't want headphones that lack in any department and sound amazing with Classic Rock. 

Thanks!

-Mike

What is your source? Do you have an amp? If you need just headphones consider HE-400 (open) and new D600 (closed)

Aug 6, 2012 at 8:08 AM Post #5 of 19
Oh boy....

+1 for HE-400 :)

+1 for EQing them...and be happy....

Aug 6, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

What is your source? Do you have an amp? If you need just headphones consider HE-400 (open) and new D600 (closed)

I listen to music coming from my computer to my reciever with optical. I don't have an amp, but the reciever should take care of that right?

As far as Eqing them, I would like to..but I don't really like the idea of having to spend more money to make up for a particular set of headphone's defecienies (probably the wrong word, I know that they may be perfect for someone else)..  

I am new to this, so I guess an amp is a common solution to getting what you want, but I just figured that there would be a set that had everything I was looking for without having to adjust it externally.  

I might consider the HE-400 or HD-600. Any idea how they compare to the good aspects of the K550? I love clarity and crispness and especially the soundstage.

Sorry for being a newb.. I didn't want to make the same mistake twice. I don't think there's anyone around me that sells all of these headphones availble to try. Thanks

Edit: I forgot to ask, are open backs considered better for classic rock/listening in general? Are closed backs mainly for privacy?

Aug 6, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #7 of 19
Your player software should have an EQ in it.

I like the Grados for classic rock. Another is the orthos but they are finicky for power. I've not had experience with the lower HE but the 500 and 6 both are awesome with most every genre.

edit

And where might you reside that we might know if there is a vendor nearby.

Aug 6, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:
Your player software should have an EQ in it.
I like the Grados for classic rock. Another is the orthos but they are finicky for power. I've not had experience with the lower HE but the 500 and 6 both are awesome with most every genre.
edit
And where might you reside that we might know if there is a vendor nearby.

what are your EQ settings? Also, which Grados model? I'd like to check those out also.

I live in South Jersey. 08096 Deptford area

Aug 6, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #9 of 19
The HE400's are (relatively) efficient ortho's, and should be fine with your receiver.

I second the Grado suggestion. I sold mines, but they were really great for classic rock.

Aug 21, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #10 of 19
Fischer Audio FA011 does it for me with classic rock. K 550 is my closed classical music can.
When amped e.g. with the voyager which has a contour -more treble more bass- switch the k550 remains to controled. Perhaps it's an Austrian thing, but so was Mahler.

Mar 21, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #11 of 19
Wildwood

Did you ever find a setup you were happy with?

I am currently using Senn 280 pro with a JDS Labs c-421 amp (no eq) for my classic rock and actually pretty happy with them but will be giving those to my son so time to step it a notch or two. Just ordered JDS Labs new C5 headphone amp but like you, still hunting a new pair of headphones for my classic rock collection.

Music is stored on Google Play and streamed wirelessly to my Chromebook if that helps anyone help me decide. All music in in 320 MP3 format. Would like to keep price around $500 or so if possible but willing to spend more to get what I want. Finally, I enjoy my bass. Don't want the bassy overtones overall but when Mel Schacher is playing, I want to be able to hear it!

Appreciate it.

Mar 21, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #12 of 19
Wildwood

Did you ever find a setup you were happy with?

I am currently using Senn 280 pro with a JDS Labs c-421 amp (no eq) for my classic rock and actually pretty happy with them but will be giving those to my son so time to step it a notch or two. Just ordered JDS Labs new C5 headphone amp but like you, still hunting a new pair of headphones for my classic rock collection.

Music is stored on Google Play and streamed wirelessly to my Chromebook if that helps anyone help me decide. All music in in 320 MP3 format. Would like to keep price around $500 or so if possible but willing to spend more to get what I want. Finally, I enjoy my bass. Don't need it to have bassy overtones overall but when Mel Schacher is playing, I want to be able to hear it!

Prefer closed.

Appreciate it.

Mar 21, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #13 of 19
I highly recommend the HE-400.  My music preference is rock and classic rock and the HE-400 suit these very well.  Great clarity & soundstage and plenty of bass.  If you go the Grado route, I would recommend the SR-225 model.  I find the SR-60, SR-80, and SR-125 and SR-325 to be a bit too bright and somewhat fatiguing.

I have not heard the AKG 550's, but at a Head-Fi meetup recently, some of the members I spoke with tried out a pair of the AKG 550s and their only complaint was a lack of bass even when properly amplified.  They preferred the HE-400 in comparison.

EDIT:  I did listen to a pair of Grado SR-225i at this meetup and they were fantastic compared to the rest of the Grado SR lineup, though, my personal preference is still HE-400 since it is a jack-of-all-trades IMO.  Great for any genre I throw at it.

Mar 22, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #14 of 19
Hey Guys

Appreciate the prompt responses.

I did look at the HE-400 as well as the HE-500. I think the 400s will work for me but I noticed they were "open back" which I take to mean open headphones. Not sure how much, if any, difference the sound quality would be to me on open vs closed?

I do work in an office area with people sitting close to me and don't want to disturb them. My current cans are closed and even at high volume,can BARELY be heard by someone only if they put their ear very close to the headset so no issue at the moment. I don't crank these up very often but when I do, I'd like to know what kind of impact the open type will have on the people nearby.

It would be great to hear ya'lls opinion regarding this.

Thanks!

Mar 22, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #15 of 19
I just got a 550 and it does lack in bass to some degree. I mainly use it with a sansa clip zip and Ibasso P2 or Fiio E6. The Ibasso is definitely the better of the amps. I had also tried a sennheiser hd25-1 at guitar center with various types of music using the sansa and ibasso. I think I enjoyed that one a lot more than the 550, SR60 w/flats, RS-1, Samson 850, when it came to rock and metal music. It was exciting without being fatiguing, bass was more impactful than the 550, and I felt more into it than when I use my RS-1 in this setup. The AKG 240 would be great if not for the muddied lower frequencies. Everytime music would get into a section with a lot of bass, it felt like stuff just blurred together. That was using a tablet and the ibasso or arcam 73 and heed can amp. I might have better results using it with my sansa. They were going for $60 and free shipping on amazon a couple months ago. Last time I looked it seemed like they were back to $80. One of these days I'd probably get another one. I do plan on buying an hd25-1 soon, but I want to see if I can try an amperior first. SR60 with flats is really good. It gets a pretty wide sound and no bloated bass or fatiguing treble. It's just not as refined as an RS-1. The only thing I didn't like about the hd25 was that it seemed to sound too muddy with stuff like Death-Human or Morbid Angel Domination 1st press albums. Those albums do have a sort of muddy production, so it may not be the fault of the headphone. Film scores like Star Wars were pretty good on the hd25. Didn't sound as congested as with the Grado stuff. The 550 is awesome with film scores. The hd558 was also something I liked a bit, I just need to try it with a sansa and amp. I keep finding that most headphones have some sorta significant flaw and that it can be difficult to really find the right amps, cables, and sources since the only way to hear most stuff is to order it. I also plan to order an O2 amp. I ordered my 550 refurbed from crutchfield and since a $25 off $250 coupon sprung up when I was browsing their site, I basically got a 3.5 to 3.5 audioquest evergreen cable for free. That was an upgrade over the RCA 3.5 I was using, as the RCA was an upgrade over the $2 3.5 cable I got from fry's. I think the EQ on the Sansa helps the 550 a bit as I need to tweak it for a lot of stuff. Source recordings were a big thing too. With classic rock there's a lot of 1st press cds available. Sometimes the quality of the mastering varies a lot. Like with the Bowie RCA cds, various 1st presses of Black Sabbath. I know this is an issue with classic rock stuff too. The Steve Hoffman forums have good info. There have been times where just swapping one pressing for another makes a way bigger difference than switching any audio gear. I'm always surprised at reviews I read here and elsewhere that are almost exclusively using badly mixed and mastered modern music. That's not to say that older stuff is meticulous in its sound quality, just that newer stuff is usually more horrendous. I've heard some old cds like the John Lennon stuff have bad noise reduction.  It's always frustrating when I havta leave an album on a lower volume than what I want because turning it up just ruins the whole thing. That applies to some classic rock remasters too. 

I can't really say I'd recommend the Grados or anything else as amazing. I went to Can Jam before and at the time, I liked the RS-1 better than everything else. I heard the HD800 on multiple setups there and elsewhere and never thought much of it. Primarily I had been using the K701 with the arcam and heed, but now I kinda find it lacking in everything but soundstage. It's been sitting around since I got the sansa clip. I went back to the 701/Arcam setup yesterday and actually thought some stuff sounded worse than the sansa/550 combo. Hopefully I can do a good comparison with my current stuff and the 558, hd25, and amperior soon. Going off my memory, I'd probably take the HD25 over the others now. Too bad my sansa froze, I'm waiting on a replacement. They're so cheap that I may buy a backup player today. 550 definitely needs an amp and the right EQ, although they don't sound bad directly out of a Sansa. They do not sound good direct into my stock computer audio or heed and arcam. They also don't sound so hot out of the best buy magnolia display

Users who are viewing this thread

Back