PLEASE HELP MY GRADO RS2'S SUCK :(
Nov 5, 2005 at 7:15 PM Post #121 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clutz
Actually, it does come off as rude. If you knew when you posted it that it might sound rude, then perhaps you should've considered not posting it or revising it prior to posting.

You come on to a message board asking for advice / assistance, then when help is offered you fail to acknowledge that others are offering you the benefit of their experience AND you get snotty about it.

there are over 100 posts. thats a lot of advice. ive said thanks probably on 10 different occasions. if youre not going to read the original posts please dont post at all.

Nov 5, 2005 at 7:15 PM Post #122 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by cinnamonandgravy
what is a better sound card? the x-fi or e-mu? and why?

I believe the general consensus would be that the E-Mu cards are better than the X-Fi cards, although the X-Fi cards have not been out for long. Simply for that reason, it's probably worth getting an E-Mu cause they're a known quantity where the X-Fi is not.

Or you could go into an audio store - and bring your headphones with you - and audition the various headphone sources and see what you like.

The Grado amp isn't a bad amp - but you can do better for the money. Check out RockHopper audio or headamp.com. You could probably find someone willing to build you a headphone amplifier in one of the Mall-Fi listings, or check out a list of builders available at the bottom of this web page http://elvencraft.com/ppav2/

Nov 5, 2005 at 7:23 PM Post #124 of 204
Quote:

there are over 100 posts. thats a lot of advice. ive said thanks probably on 10 different occasions. if youre not going to read the original posts please dont post at all.

I have read every single post in this thread, so I have seen you say thanks on a few occasions - but I have also seen posts from you where you are completely ingrateful and rude. But posting a message which you admit could appear to be rude, and then apologizing for it simply makes it appear as though you're rubbing peoples faces in it.

And FWIW, I'm allowed to respond to any / all posts on this message board - whether you like it or not.

Nov 5, 2005 at 7:28 PM Post #127 of 204
Quote:

custom amps? interesting. thanks for the link. the e-mu has an optical out, yes?

I'm not sure - I don't have one. I have a Mac and they are not compatible with macintosh computers, unfortunately. If you want to use an optical out into a DAC get something like the Chaintech card suggested earlier. The E-Mu 0404 card seems to have an optical out- so I would assume the 1212 does too. I would suggest getting a good sound card like a 0404 or 1212 makes more sense than getting a chaintech card right now and an amp make more sens, -f you can afford it, than buying the chaintech card and an amp- because the Emu will sound quite a bit better than the Chaintech card.

Again, YMMV - I don't have any of these things. Best you could do is go out to a music store and try them out. most good stores will let you audition stuff. That's the best way to find out.

Nov 5, 2005 at 7:31 PM Post #129 of 204
Quote:

hahahhaahhahaha did your mother drop you in sugar when you were born, because youre so sweet.

post here all you like. i dont mind.

you'renot the first person to notice the flat spot on my head.. :p No, I wasn't dropped in sugar.... just aspartame.
biggrin.gif

My apologies for taking things the wrong way previously.

Nov 5, 2005 at 7:43 PM Post #134 of 204
Quote:

so would you say a chaintech/new reciever/head amp combo is less savory than a e-mu/head amp combo?

Well- it depends. Why do you want the new receiver? If you want a new receiver for reasons other than using it with your headphones, then maybenot. It isn't at all suggested for a headphone set up. you want the minimum number of links needed between your source and your headphones.

I would suggest an E-Mu 0404 or 1212 connected to a headphone amp (something like a gilmore lite is probably recommended for grados). This gives you a lot of flexibility. you still get a pretty good source (the Emu), but you are left with the flexibility of upgrading that source later by getting a really good dac to go between the soundcard and the amp (at which point the E-Mu isn't doing anything terribly fancy). I think this is the best course of action because a good dac is pretty expensive - in the > $300 range.. and you'd still need the chaintech sound card and an amp.. buy going with the soundcard (like the 0404), you get a sound source that's much better than what you have now, and something you can improve upon quite easily later. the chaint ech idea emeans you have something that really doesn't live up to the standard of those RS2s at all..

Best suggestion I can make is go out to the stores and try them out.. it's the fun part for me at least
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back