PLEASE HELP MY GRADO RS2'S SUCK :(
Nov 5, 2005 at 3:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 204

cinnamonandgravy

Head-Fier
oh jesus someone please help me. i just recieved my grado rs2's today and to say the least, im very underwhelmed. everything is too bright and it just generally sounds bad. i used to have some crappy $30 sony headphones which eventually broke on me, but those sounded far better. do i need to burn them in? do i need an amp? the rs2's are playing out of my computer, which has an audigy 2 sound card. im listening to belle and sebastian's 'beautiful' and at the current volume, which isnt much at all mind you, it hurts. these do not sound like $500 headphones. i also plugged them into my father's expensive denon reciever and loaded the pixies' bossanova cd. i wasnt floored, but it was acceptable. i shouldnt be describing these as 'acceptable' as best!! what am i to do?! i want to cry.

Nov 5, 2005 at 3:17 AM Post #3 of 204
maybe it's the Rs-2's......
rs1smile.gif

Just out of interest what pads are you using? You might want to check out flats if the Rs-2 sounds bright to you.

Nov 5, 2005 at 3:17 AM Post #4 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
maybe it's the Rs-2's......
rs1smile.gif

Just out of interest what pads are you using? You might want to check out flats if the Rs-2 sounds bright to you.

the flats will help with the brightness, but they aren't going to allow the phones to sound good. that audigy just has to go.

Nov 5, 2005 at 3:21 AM Post #5 of 204
Do what the others said. Either try a more headphone friendly source (better soundcard), or try a different phone. At the very least, give your ears some time to adjust to their sound.

Although the fact you spend 500 bones on a phone without even considering the other components is strange.

Nov 5, 2005 at 3:22 AM Post #6 of 204
i plan on buying an x-fi sound card and hooking that up to my reciever. however ive used the rs-2s on my father's expensive denon reciever and again, underwhelming. why would $500 headphones sound worse than $30 ones?

Nov 5, 2005 at 3:24 AM Post #8 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by cinnamonandgravy
i plan on buying an x-fi sound card and hooking that up to my reciever. however ive used the rs-2s on my father's expensive denon reciever and again, underwhelming. why would $500 headphones sound worse than $30 ones?

Chill out, give em a chance. Try some better equipment, and if you still don't like them, try something else. You may just not be a grado person. But seriously, one day impression doesn't really mean much. And next time, do some research on the forums before spending so much money. It's your own fault.

Nov 5, 2005 at 3:25 AM Post #9 of 204
have you heard Grados before? if not, it was a bit silly to spend that much money before you knew if the Grado sound was for you or not. they have a very polarizing sound signature. the SR-60 is the traditional place to start.

Nov 5, 2005 at 3:29 AM Post #11 of 204
THATS what a good headphone is supposed to sound like. If you've enjoyed MDR-V300 one-note boominess, and your ears have been conditioned to that sound... its more a matter of re-educating yourself on what the remainder of the audible spectrum sounds like.

Nov 5, 2005 at 3:31 AM Post #12 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
have you heard Grados before? if not, it was a bit silly to spend that much money before you knew if the Grado sound was for you or not. they have a very polarizing sound signature. the SR-60 is the traditional place to start.

ive bought sennheisers, sonys, and more and havent really liked any of them. all that was left was grado for me, before really stepping up price-wise.

Nov 5, 2005 at 3:34 AM Post #13 of 204
Quote:

it was rhetorical and only put to show my bitter anguish.

Awwww, your breaking our hearts.
rolleyes.gif

Nov 5, 2005 at 3:35 AM Post #14 of 204
Quote:

ive bought sennheisers, sonys, and more and havent really liked any of them. all that was left was grado for me, before really stepping up price-wise.

hmmm . . then maybe you're more of a speaker guy?
tongue.gif

Seriously though, it could easily be your equipment. Really high-end phones are meant to be used with a good source and dedicated amp. As well as having the user acclimate to their sound. Everything tends to sound lackluster at first, but in time, you realize they're pretty damn good (or bad).

Also, specifically which models did you own?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back