PLEASE HELP MY GRADO RS2'S SUCK :(
Nov 8, 2005 at 12:55 PM Post #196 of 204
Your taking my comment way too personally (moreover, I believe you weren't the only one who suggested this).

I have a pair of flat pads too and yes they do accentuate the bass and recess the hi's (please remember flats aren't for everyone). However, you know what else does that too? Break-in. So yes, doing nothing is EXACLTLY what I'm suggesting before spending a dime.

I sincerely doubt a new soundcard or amp by itself is going to fix his problems if he truely doesn't like the Grado house sound. To use your own phrase, no matter how much you throw out a HD650, its not going to sound like a Grado (and that's not meant to be a critiscm on the HD650, just a statement of fact).

Nov 8, 2005 at 5:27 PM Post #197 of 204
burn in is helping me in two ways: its letting my ears become adjusted to the new phones, and theyre actually burning in. i know the impact of burn in is controversial, but it seems to really be affecting my rs-2s. seconds out of the box highs were distorted, and everything seemed to bleed together while fighting a war with itself. they now have roughly 18 or so hours on them and i do notice a difference, but still, many songs are still rough around the edges.

for those who are new to the thread i knew nothing of burn in and the like, i was expecting them to sound amazing the instant i turned them on. yes, i had old sony headphones that cost around $30 (traded dvds for them at wherehouse when it still was in business, at least around me) but they probably had like 600 hours on them. they had absolutely no bass, but had wonderfull highs and were generally very detailed. i was hoping the grados would totally destroy my sonys, and at first it didnt seem that way. now that ive given them a chance a few sources have offered me a glimpse of what they can do. thanks again everyone for all the helpful posts. but again, what are cartridges? (and not bullets, ha)

Nov 8, 2005 at 5:33 PM Post #198 of 204
I would say 40-50 hours minimum of aggregated listening hours on a Grado will show the true character of the can.

Nov 30, 2005 at 11:54 PM Post #200 of 204
Hi,

When I first got my Grado SR80's I thought man, why did I waste my money on this piece of crap!
eek.gif

They were harsh, bright, bass was non-existant, definately one of the worst set of cans I put on my head. My friend who owns a pair of AKG's forgot what model, wasn't impressed with the Grado's when he tried them. Like me, he was expecting so much after reading all the rave reviews about them only to be very dissappointed.

Fast forward to one month later, after a few days of burning and plenty of listening, these cans sounded VERY good. I then did the sock mod, but with MUCH thinner socks and the base just kicked
biggrin.gif
I then washed the socks yesterday after a year of use and theres not much difference with and without the socks on em, just a tad more bassier but still tight and defined. When someone now listens to my Grado's thier jaw drops!

My mom who isn't an audiophile and believes people shouldn't be spending more than $20CDN on cans listened to em the other day for the first time. When I first got the Grado's I lied about the price and told her I got it for $80. After she finished listening to em for the first time(she didn't want to take em off!) I told her it cost me $175CDN and to my surprise she said it is worth every penny
k1000smile.gif

Grado's are GREAT, give em time and you'll fall in love!

Happy listening!

Cheers,

Donny

Dec 1, 2005 at 12:13 AM Post #201 of 204
I think that grados must slowly release some type of addictive audible only drug. This is like the 5th thread I have read about this in the few weeks I have been here. "Grados are bad" 1 week later "Grados are sounding better" 1 month later "I love John Grado !!" 1 1/2 months later "I am just ordered a $2000.00 pair of grados"

Until I have some real quality time with my hd 650s I am not going to fall under the lure of the grado addiction. Maybe some day I will put my sennheiser love to the test and buy some mid level grados :p

Dec 3, 2005 at 6:57 PM Post #202 of 204
i love my grados now, even though theyre still connected to an audigy 2. just looking at them now makes me want to put them on.

my friend came over and brought his bose headphones and i just laughed in his face. he also thinks on-board audio is superior to audigy cards so yeah. both suck, but c'mon, on-board?

Dec 3, 2005 at 7:22 PM Post #203 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by cinnamonandgravy
i love my grados now, even though theyre still connected to an audigy 2. just looking at them now makes me want to put them on.

my friend came over and brought his bose headphones and i just laughed in his face. he also thinks on-board audio is superior to audigy cards so yeah. both suck, but c'mon, on-board?

I'm glad you've come to enjoy them. First minute impressions always are a bit disappointing, but after a good acclimation (and break in!) period, they really grow on you, eh? Congrats again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back