PLEASE HELP MY GRADO RS2'S SUCK :(
Nov 5, 2005 at 8:49 PM Post #137 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by chris719
Give them time to break in. Regardless of what some people say, they should and will sound better than 30 dollar headphones out of pretty much anything, even an Audigy. Before someone jumps all over me for this comment, I have owned an Audigy and HD570, HD600, HD650, SR325, and ATH-W2002. Will they be more revealing to bad recordings? Yes, but I still don't think there is any way it is possible to sound worse in my experience.

I do remember when I got my HD600's I was expecting big things right out of the box and they didn't deliver until a week or two later. I managed to snag a new in box W2002 and I was really disappointed at first, they were just plain AWFUL out of the box, bass was non-existant and they sounded hollow. That changed drastically after a few hundred hours of use also.

You might also be used to super bloated/boosted bass, which is pretty common among cheaper headphones, once you realize you can now make out notes in the bassline your opinion might change.

I agree completely as my SA5000s (one of the most source revealing phones period) sound great on well recorded music from an audigy 2 zs to m3, the source is not the problem. I think you just aren't used to them and they aren't burnt in. There is a chance you m ay just hate grados sound as well.

Nov 5, 2005 at 9:54 PM Post #138 of 204
It's also mentioned in an ealier response to your post, but I cannot emphasize enough how much of a differnce burn-in can make.
I was underwhelmed with both the SR-80's and later the RS-1's prior to about 40 hours of burn in. (The RS-1's needed about 80 hours before I really loved the sound). I just left my phones running for several days unattended and rach time I put them back on the they sounded better and better.

Nov 6, 2005 at 12:51 AM Post #139 of 204
cinnamon, since it looks like you're not having any kind of funding issues I would recommend the EMU. I automatically tend to keep things cheap since this is usually the goal with a lot of people, but if you've got the money, the EMU is said to be much better than the AV-170 by a longshot. As for amps, you might want to start a thread in the Amplification forum for help there, since I'm no expert when you get into the $300+ range for amps.

And yes, you're wearing on our nerves. Take it down a notch, we're just trying to help you and if you're going to be rude, it's going to be harder to do so.

Also, we don't take kindly to short posts that don't pose a question or contribute to the thread, unless it's in the member's lounge where all bets are off.
wink.gif

Nov 6, 2005 at 2:49 AM Post #142 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasonharkin
I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS STUPID THREAD IS STILL ALIVE
icon10.gif

I AGREE
icon10.gif

Accually I think it speaks worlds about the head-fi hobby that the thread questioning wheather 500 dollar cans realistically sound better than 30 dollar ones gets so many impassioned repplies. Everyone whipped out their favorite tip, trick, mod or upgrade suggestion, and with a little prodding from the OP this 8 page monster was born. We're all such snobs, if someone likes their sony throwaways better than an rs-2, who are we to judge?

Oh! btw... i suggest that you allow some time for ear burn in, gotta get acclimated to that new sound!!! and if you still think they suck... SELL THEM TO MEEE!!!!1

Nov 6, 2005 at 5:50 AM Post #144 of 204
Once you burn them in with loud music the bright highs mostly go away. Some of it will stay, but it really opens up after 200 hours of burn-in. You'd be surprised. That said, I don't think the high-end Grados are worth the money because IMHO the $170 SR225 is the best of the line.

The bright highs are a result of the cone breakup I think. But it's better than rolling them off at least, which is what certain other headphone manufacterers do.

Nov 6, 2005 at 3:34 PM Post #145 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by cinnamonandgravy
oh jesus someone please help me. i just recieved my grado rs2's today and to say the least, im very underwhelmed. everything is too bright and it just generally sounds bad.

That's what's generally known as the "Grado sonic signature".

Nov 6, 2005 at 6:57 PM Post #147 of 204
y'all do realise that a emu card IS an audigy, right? slightly higher spec components on the pcb. but still an audigy. no seceret that creative owns emu. the days of high end emu/ensonique products are long gone.

before anyone argues with me, go get the schematics for the cards. read them. then let me know.
trading an audigy for an emu is not a huge upgrade. and just because something is outputing through consumer sp/dif coaxial does not mean it can not fudge the sound before it goes into the dac.
you don't plug a sony transport into a mark levenson dac. lol.
do those phones justice and get them far away from a computer. ie. plug them into a cdp. unless you have a $25,000+ computer audio rig.

music_man.

Nov 6, 2005 at 7:26 PM Post #148 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt
Once you burn them in with loud music the bright highs mostly go away. Some of it will stay, but it really opens up after 200 hours of burn-in. You'd be surprised. That said, I don't think the high-end Grados are worth the money because IMHO the $170 SR225 is the best of the line.

Have you heard the RS-1 or PS-1? I mean c'mon now. If you want to talk about price/performance ratio, see the HF-1 or the SR-80s.

So far, this thread has totally degenerated into a lot of misinformation from flat pads are going to fix it and Grado's just suck to you need a 25k computer rig to enjoy the RS-2's (ugh, advice, buy an Apogee and try it then tell me the RS-2's can't be enjoyed through a computer).

cinnamon: Let them break in over the next couple of days, then give a listen, and let us know if they still seem too bright.

Nov 6, 2005 at 9:19 PM Post #149 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_man
y'all do realise that a emu card IS an audigy, right? slightly higher spec components on the pcb. but still an audigy. no seceret that creative owns emu. the days of high end emu/ensonique products are long gone.

before anyone argues with me, go get the schematics for the cards. read them. then let me know.
trading an audigy for an emu is not a huge upgrade. and just because something is outputing through consumer sp/dif coaxial does not mean it can not fudge the sound before it goes into the dac.
you don't plug a sony transport into a mark levenson dac. lol.
do those phones justice and get them far away from a computer. ie. plug them into a cdp. unless you have a $25,000+ computer audio rig.

it's a creative card now, but NOT an audigy. they sound completely different and are leagues apart.

Nov 6, 2005 at 9:43 PM Post #150 of 204
they now have roughly 10 or so hours on them. theyre still a bit bright, but at least theyre not causing me anymore pain. im going to buy the flat pads and an e-mu card, and see how that changes things. thanks for all the new input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back