Please help a fellow music enthusiast enter the world of head-fi! :)
Jun 14, 2011 at 3:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Heliosonic

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi community!

As you can probably see from my account, I'm brand new to this site.
I have been saving up some money to buy a headphone set-up because I figured it would be a waste to spend money on a stereo speaker system when I'm going to move out in a year or so and probably end up in some cramped 3x4 student room :wink:

So after visiting my local hi-fi shop where I was generously given the time to listen to the:
-Senn Hd650, 600, 598,
-Denon AH-D2000
-Beyerdynamic DT 880, DT990
(yes....a glaring hole in this list is AKG but sadly I have not had the chance to listen to their headphones except for a 601 or something that was poorly amplified with a horrible sound source (THANKS TO THE MEDIAMARKT! -____-' )  And besides that, I figured the 701 will be way too hard to amp since I've heard it's harder to drive then the HD 650)

Both unamplified (straight out of the jack of a Marantz cd player...forgot which one but whatever, it was around 700 euros so it was probably all right ;D) and amplified by a musicalfidelity amp (same...sorry, should've written that down).  I was thoroughly surprised by the HD 650. Although I really liked the Denon headphone as well. The HD 650 just gave me more satisfaction and sounded a lot smoother and (probably) less exhaustive for my ears. It was also nice to hear how scalable the HD 650 was, when I connected it some other amps.

Anyway, I want to buy this headphone. However, I have a few questions:

-I heard there is a new and an old version of the HD 650? How can I identify the new from old? I heard it has to do with white foam inside or something and I've heard about how foam mods can improve audio quality so I'm curious to hear more about this.

-Amps amps amps. What amp? Because I intend to use my laptop/PC/mp3player/Cowon/Ipod etc.  as source, I was thinking about saving money for a Nuforce Icon HD or HDP. (though....since I'm purely looking for a headphone setup I'm probably going for the HD)
Is this a good choice? If not, what are good alternatives? Lastly, a friend of mine advised me to look into Audio GD but, I live in The Netherlands and have absolutely no experience with importing from Asian countries. I also had problems with finding out if there are any hidden taxes, import fees etc etc that I should look out for.

-How come there are such huge price differences between online shops? I've seen HD 650's ranging from 290-450 euros!
Does this have to do with the old and new version? Should I be cautious? I think I'm going to buy them at Megapool because they have a good price but, also because I have been told that they have an official Sennheiser retailer license which would make it easier when something goes wrong and I need to use my warranty/return the headphones.

Wall of text....check! Well, I was told that head-fi is a very serious community so yeah....I tried to make my first post ever count as much as possible :wink:

MANY THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Please feel free to post any info or advise on factors that I might have forgot to think about and of course I'm also open to hear about alternatives. (let's just say that 400euros max for headphone, 500 for amp)

Jun 14, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #2 of 12
Senn HD 650 have a big following here. Also the Hd-598 do too. THe difference is that the 650 are more clear and better, just by a little bit, overall.

FiiO e7 and e9 combo for $250 for amp. The E7 is a portable amp, later I'll explain. The E9 is a desktop amp and are made to go with the E7

I would say get the Senn HD-650's. Because you can't grab the deal with the HD-598 where JD have them for $175 if you call them. I just ordered mine. But there is a massive following for the 650's and they are great overall headphones.

Get something portable, I didn't read all that text so, get the Cowon S9 and enjoy mobile music coupled with the FiiO e7

So:
FiiO E7 with E9 $250
Sennheiser HD-650 $500
Cowon S9 16gb black $160
and a computer to store you music and use the E9. varies

Jun 14, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #4 of 12
I use the hd650s with the e7/e9 combo, and it is my favorites out of lots like the LCD 2 the edition 8 and the hd 800 and everything except the Stax sigmas.

Sorry I typed this on an iPhone.

Mackat

Jun 14, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #5 of 12
Thanks everyone for replying!

Oke so E7/E9 combo. Holy ^*&^#@ these things are cheap!
eek.gif

http://www.amazon.de/FiiO-E9-E7-Kombi-Bundle/dp/B0052I27I8/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1308096212&sr=8-5
(I use the German Amazon because sadly we poor Dutchies don't have one of our own :/ )

And the forum members seem to like 'em too :D This just popped onto the front page:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/557390/headphones-for-fiio-e7-e9

So yeah.....I'm stunned by the relatively low price of 189 euros but would it be worth saving more money and getting that Nuforce icon HD anyway? I mean, it's an amp/DAC in one....so yeah maybe they made concessions in the design that the Fiio people didn't do with their products but still...since I'll be working for the next summer months....and because I'm an insane music fiend that is going to spend every dime on finally achieving a decent audio set-up
biggrin.gif
What should I do?

What I do get is that having the DAC and AMP separated makes more sense if you look at the portability of the E7. Even though I don't think I'd be using my HD 650 'on the go' (and get mugged
tongue.gif
), it's still an interesting option.

@BotByte
I had a J3 but it broke down....best portable out-of-the-package product I have ever heard....needless to say I was heartbroken. To add insult to injury, the website where I bought the device had problems delivering me a new one and instead turned my money into stupid store credits!!! (finally convinced my dad to work out with me if we can take legal action....so yeah will be continued soon :p)

@SennheiserHD
I'm going to sound like a total prick but.....I listen to pretty much everything. Check my last.fm over here: http://www.last.fm/user/Heliosonic
(oh and if you're reading this....feel free to leave a shout and add me :) )

I'll look into that amp/dac but I have a feeling I'll have to import and thanks to taxes and shipping etc. my bet is prices will be quite high. :/ (if you know a EU distributer please tell!)
oh and SennheiserHD, please edit your post and delete the quote. My epic first post already creates enough wall of text for one page imho. :wink:

@Mackat
Do you mean you listened to all those headphones on the Fiio combo amp?

Jun 14, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #6 of 12
No, I listened to those with different amps but I kept coming back to my setup.

Jun 14, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #7 of 12
Thanks everyone for replying!

Oke so E7/E9 combo. Holy ^*&^#@ these things are cheap!
eek.gif

http://www.amazon.de/FiiO-E9-E7-Kombi-Bundle/dp/B0052I27I8/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1308096212&sr=8-5
(I use the German Amazon because sadly we poor Dutchies don't have one of our own :/ )

And the forum members seem to like 'em too :D This just popped onto the front page:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/557390/headphones-for-fiio-e7-e9

So yeah.....I'm stunned by the relatively low price of 189 euros but would it be worth saving more money and getting that Nuforce icon HD anyway? I mean, it's an amp/DAC in one....so yeah maybe they made concessions in the design that the Fiio people didn't do with their products but still...since I'll be working for the next summer months....and because I'm an insane music fiend that is going to spend every dime on finally achieving a decent audio set-up
biggrin.gif
What should I do?

What I do get is that having the DAC and AMP separated makes more sense if you look at the portability of the E7. Even though I don't think I'd be using my HD 650 'on the go' (and get mugged
tongue.gif
), it's still an interesting option.

@BotByte
I had a J3 but it broke down....best portable out-of-the-package product I have ever heard....needless to say I was heartbroken. To add insult to injury, the website where I bought the device had problems delivering me a new one and instead turned my money into stupid store credits!!! (finally convinced my dad to work out with me if we can take legal action....so yeah will be continued soon :p)

@SennheiserHD
I'm going to sound like a total prick but.....I listen to pretty much everything. Check my last.fm over here: http://www.last.fm/user/Heliosonic
(oh and if you're reading this....feel free to leave a shout and add me :) )

I'll look into that amp/dac but I have a feeling I'll have to import and thanks to taxes and shipping etc. my bet is prices will be quite high. :/ (if you know a EU distributer please tell!)
oh and SennheiserHD, please edit your post and delete the quote. My epic first post already creates enough wall of text for one page imho. :wink:

@Mackat
Do you mean you listened to all those headphones on the Fiio combo amp?

I'm gonna have to stand behind mackat, and his recommendation, since that is a really good deal on the e7/e9 combo!!! I know people in europe pay twice what we pay for electronics so that seems like a steal. the hd650 is a world class headphone, and can be had for less 400 euros on amazon.de so it's in your budget. Paired with the e7/e9 combo i think it will make a nice sound. Hope you're happy with your purchase and good luck mate! =D

Jun 15, 2011 at 6:55 AM Post #8 of 12

Quote:
No, I listened to those with different amps but I kept coming back to my setup.

Aha, so you might say we got a giant killer on our hands? What other amps did you use with the HD 650? How did they compare?

@SennheiserHD Thanks! I'm quite convinced now that I should buy the Fiio's. After all....when do you really use 24bit? (Ya know...in case I'd want that Nuforce dac) Besides, I'll always be able to upgrade the DAC some other time :)

ps. Hmmm weird, I posted a response earlier but it disappeared :/

Jun 15, 2011 at 9:31 AM Post #9 of 12
Aha, so you might say we got a giant killer on our hands? What other amps did you use with the HD 650? How did they compare?

@SennheiserHD Thanks! I'm quite convinced now that I should buy the Fiio's. After all....when do you really use 24bit? (Ya know...in case I'd want that Nuforce dac) Besides, I'll always be able to upgrade the DAC some other time :)

ps. Hmmm weird, I posted a response earlier but it disappeared :/

You'll be fine hahaha.

Jun 25, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #11 of 12
Oh, not necroposting on purpose but just if people read this; the Fiio E7/E9 is awesome! Amazing sound for a good price. Perfect fit for anyone with a smaller budget!
Thanks again guys for recommending this!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back