player with huge soundstage?
Jul 9, 2010 at 12:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

kanonathena

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking to upgrade from my nano4 to something much better with a huge soundstage.

My preference in order of importance

- soundstage, imaging (seperation and placement)
- details and cleaness / good UI like nano4 where I can select songs in any album within seconds, total responsiveness

other than these I like natural sound sig (or even cold) for orchestral music so sony is out of question. How does a good DAP compared to a laptop in soundstage these days? nano4 is really weak in this aspect.

Thanks.

edit: I don't use amps

Jul 9, 2010 at 1:01 PM Post #2 of 26
Why sony is out of question? Sony x sounds definitely neutral and sound stage is really impressive.

Jul 9, 2010 at 1:25 PM Post #4 of 26
I would have suggested the T51/s:flo2 but the UI isn't up to par and since that seems to be one strong point for you, it might be out of the question. Amazing player though.

Jul 9, 2010 at 1:43 PM Post #5 of 26

Quote:
Why sony is out of question? Sony x sounds definitely neutral and sound stage is really impressive.

I have read reviews saying sony x is very warm with very narrow soundstage compared to ipods.

http://www.headfonia.com/?p=2783

Quote:
I would have suggested the T51/s:flo2 but the UI isn't up to par and since that seems to be one strong point for you, it might be out of the question. Amazing player though.

I have done massive research on this player, in the end I have to decide against it. Do you think it is in part because of a bad touch screen?

Jul 10, 2010 at 2:39 AM Post #8 of 26
Yes,  it seems J3 is the only viable option until I read some old thread saying Cowon D2 and S9 have small soundstage compared to ipods, seems like half a year ago people all agreed touch 2g has the best soundstage, then nano5 and classic. How does J3 compares to these?

Jul 10, 2010 at 6:14 AM Post #9 of 26

Quote:
Yes,  it seems J3 is the only viable option until I read some old thread saying Cowon D2 and S9 have small soundstage compared to ipods, seems like half a year ago people all agreed touch 2g has the best soundstage, then nano5 and classic.

Buhhahahahsa
dt880smile.png
ipod has best soundstage, ok bud buy yourself another ipod and live in the dream where ipods are the best sounding players and have best sound stage
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 10, 2010 at 7:17 AM Post #10 of 26
In term of soundstage, the s9 with BBE viva beat sony X and ipod. The soundstage of sony X is impressive but can't match s9 in soundstage depth.
And compare to s9, the sony X's sound is very warm

Jul 10, 2010 at 7:53 PM Post #11 of 26
Sony A829, Cowon S9, Sony X1060, iPod Touch and iPhone 4G..........

Jul 10, 2010 at 8:44 PM Post #12 of 26
Sony S639 & X Series, Cowon D2/S9, iPod 5.5G/classic/touch, Zune 30/80/120/HD, a RockBoxed DAP - each has a different sound stage depending on the HP's that one uses w/them. All are great under the right circumstances.

Dec 29, 2011 at 12:29 AM Post #13 of 26
I thought people on this forum should conscious enough to know that standard computer and iPod audio is garbage, the best choice for a reasonable price would be a cowon i10 or a j3, both have great and simple UI's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back