PLANAR IEMs fans thread-Impressions, suggestions, ranking list, techs
Feb 18, 2024 at 11:03 PM Post #151 of 259
How does the Supermoon compare to S12 Pro and MP145

Supermoon beats these 2 in technicalities. MP145 is also tunable and has better timbre, though it has a worse fit due to the huge shells.

But the Supermoon is very very much more expensive, so we are talking about diminishing returns to the max!

Feb 19, 2024 at 2:17 AM Post #153 of 259
If we are talking about pure planar IEMS (not those square planar/microplanar types, which are not legit planar tech in my book), then these are the ones I've tried/owned in alphabetical order:

7Hz Timeless
Audeze Euclid
Campfire Supermoon
DUNU Talos (in pure planar mode with BA deactivated)
Hidizs MP145
Kefine Klanar
Letshuoer S12 Pro
Letshuoer S15
Moondrop Stellaris
NiceHCK F1
Sivga Nightingale
Tangzu Zetian Wu
TinHIFI P1

The planar IEMs generally beat single DDs in technicalities, transients and even treble extension, though perhaps they don't move bass air/decay that well as single DD types. These planar IEMs may also not have not that accurate timbral accuracy, I guess it is cause of the lightning quick transients and rapid decay they bring to the table, so notes sound a bit truncated in delay.

But planar IEMs have come a long way since last year. It used to be considered an expensive exotic technology, but with economies of scale, we saw them drop below $100 USD.

I do think that planar IEMs are currently not the finished article, the tech is still evolving, but give it a few more months, I'm sure the technology will get more refined (and cheaper), which is always good for us in this hobby.
That is quite a sample of planar IEMs!!
In case you may remember which one are the performing in terms of technicalities?
If you had to pick three, regardless of price and value/money, which ones would you go for?

Feb 19, 2024 at 3:21 AM Post #154 of 259
That is quite a sample of planar IEMs!!
In case you may remember which one are the performing in terms of technicalities?
If you had to pick three, regardless of price and value/money, which ones would you go for?

I think the 2 most technical planars I've tried in this list are the Supermoon and the Euclid. But they are very expensive (diminishing returns), and I don't think they are good value as such.

Euclid in particular has a wonky tonal balance, it needs EQ to be honest, but I understand some folks are quite adverse to EQing.

Stellaris and the DUNU Talos with BA mode activated are also very resolving and technical, but they are overly bright and unlistenable on those configs (unless if you are a diehard treblehead).

Feb 19, 2024 at 4:29 AM Post #155 of 259
I think the 2 most technical planars I've tried in this list are the Supermoon and the Euclid. But they are very expensive (diminishing returns), and I don't think they are good value as such.

Euclid in particular has a wonky tonal balance, it needs EQ to be honest, but I understand some folks are quite adverse to EQing.

Stellaris and the DUNU Talos with BA mode activated are also very resolving and technical, but they are overly bright and unlistenable on those configs (unless if you are a diehard treblehead).
Thank you very much indeed ...

Feb 19, 2024 at 8:58 AM Post #156 of 259
Drop had the Supermoon for 799 for a bit. I'm finding then quite lovely. Maybe they'll go on sale again they're.

I don't have an issue with the timbre. I do love the LCD-X, my first intro to planars.

Feb 19, 2024 at 10:37 AM Post #157 of 259
Drop had the Supermoon for 799 for a bit. I'm finding then quite lovely. Maybe they'll go on sale again they're.

I don't have an issue with the timbre. I do love the LCD-X, my first intro to planars.
I have a pair of Supermoon and they sound really good. I keep checking if there anything better worth trying but apparently for now this is the top of the planar line..

Feb 20, 2024 at 8:39 PM Post #159 of 259
I would take the S15 EQ'd over the Supermoon EQ'd. The SM has an unnatural timbre in the treble for me. The S15 treble is interesting also - it extends very high. Instead of a boost (2K+ mids->treble) like the Supermoon, the S15 has a forward presence / air in general, but not as sharp or boosted. The timbre is on the safe side though (S15), and I don't find them fatiguing (S15).

The SM sort of fits in a weird slot for CA also (Just my opinion) - There is an absolute 'ton of love' for them in the Watercooler, but at the same time they are a bit pricey compared to some of the other in their catalog and out, such as the Letshuoer S15 / S12 Pro. The price is too low on the S15 for some of the posters to care about, but they are missing out on what this hobby is about. Chasing what sounds real/natural to the listener, vs. tonal balance, target frequency responses, etc.

I think I believe in the pressure relief valves or designs like the new driver in the Sennheiser IE line. Balancing the pressure in the ear is paramount.

I'd love to hear more single planar in-ears, but after listening to a handful, the Supermoon slots below the LCD-i4 and S15 in my lineup. I don't claim this as an absolute - just one persons wallet and tastes.

Feb 26, 2024 at 11:47 AM Post #160 of 259
I have a Stellaris, it's gathering dust now because I have much better IEMs, but one thing that is very notable about it is the bass.

I'm not sure why exactly I'm hearing what I am, it doesn't particularly graph like it's a bassy set and the extra spicy treble steals the show, but something about that long nozzle and metal body I imagine is doing magical things to the bass because it has a very visceral feel to it, something even the Maestro SE doesn't replicate even with it's massively boosted sub bass.

Once you tame the treble and add a little meat to 200Hz and below, the feel of moving air and resultant thump is something I haven't heard again in other IEMs, so I'm really hoping this IEM gets a second iteration with improved tech, tuning, and ergos, because that bass in a hybrid/tribrid setup would be quite special.
I said exactly this about my feeling regarding the Stellaris. Yes, mine is also gathering dust since I have other sets I did enjoy listening to more. But that bass is pretty special. It doesn't slam like what typically characterised as planar bass. it is still weighty while still being speedy.

Mar 1, 2024 at 3:26 PM Post #164 of 259
Hello,

I am very interested in planar iems and have got some questions:

- Would you choose 7Hz Timeless and Shuoer S12 or the AE / Pro - Version? Is it correct that the AE is muddier? And does both of them have a good seal with smaller ears or is Shuoer better because of the construction (the bigger part of the timeless is outside the ear)?

- Is there a planar which is on stage with the Sennheiser IE600 or even better or are all of them a bit worse (most of them are cheaper, too)?

- Could the Kiwi Ear Quintet be an alternative or are they also very bulky because of the drivers?

I am looking for an iem for rock / metal with a fun signature or neutral / harman curve with high clarity which is not muddy. Maybe the IE600 is the best choice but i want to know what ChiFi has got to offer :wink:.

Mar 1, 2024 at 4:03 PM Post #165 of 259
Hello,

I am very interested in planar iems and have got some questions:

I am looking for an iem for rock / metal with a fun signature or neutral / harman curve with high clarity which is not muddy. Maybe the IE600 is the best choice but i want to know what ChiFi has got to offer :wink:.
I have the KZ PR2 pro ver1 (unobtanium now, quite good); NiceHCK F1 Pro (recommend), Tangzu Zetian Wu OG (bass heavy), RaptGo Hook X (very clean, V shaped, ), and last but not least the magnificent Hidizs MP145 (my absolute favourite; lot of different tuning).

Rock / metal is my genre, too (with a lot of other ones). Sure, my hearing is not perfect and I have zero musical study.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back