PLANAR IEMs fans thread-Impressions, suggestions, ranking list, techs
Jan 9, 2024 at 7:02 PM Post #121 of 248
Give the Kiwi Ears Melody a shot----they only cost $89 but are really quite good and do not get the attention they deserve---I actually like them as much as the MP145 and the much more expensive S15's------

https://hiendportable.com/kiwi-ears-melody-english-review/
I bought the Kiwi Melody and trying it out.

Impression: Certainly it is much warmer and a bit muddier than my analytical Shure 846. It isn’t meant for mixing or audio editing but a nice, non-fatiguing background music IEM. The nice thing about planar is their receptivity to EQ adjustment . This certainly sounds great after EQing a bit. In sound stage it’s like sitting in the middle of the theatre while my Shure sounds like you are on the stage. Sure is a bit muddier but it’s much less fatiguing.

Thanks for the recommendation. Saved me money from getting the Noble and Penon IEMs.

Jan 10, 2024 at 11:15 AM Post #122 of 248
Hi guys, i wanted to try one of the recent planar models.I've got in the past the first model of TinHifi P1 and i liked it a lot.
Suffering from tinnitus since 3 years, i became more sensitive to highs and upper mids, what would be the warmest and lusher model?Thanks for your advice!
Have you tried the P1s with an EQ? I honestly can't listen to mine without it, so they live on the Qudelix whenever I use them. You can't beat the size of the shells and the sound is pretty good once EQed. I've started getting tinnitus last year after a goddamn concert where I had earplugs in, but took them off for a few songs since they really drowned out the vocals.

uaF4Ovi.jpg

Jan 12, 2024 at 3:36 AM Post #124 of 248
Have you tried the P1s with an EQ? I honestly can't listen to mine without it, so they live on the Qudelix whenever I use them. You can't beat the size of the shells and the sound is pretty good once EQed. I've started getting tinnitus last year after a goddamn concert where I had earplugs in, but took them off for a few songs since they really drowned out the vocals.

uaF4Ovi.jpg
Hi,

when i listened the P1 , i wasn't suffering from Tinnitus , so i didn't have to use the EQ. I totally agree with the comfort and the form factor , they were very easy to fit

Jan 12, 2024 at 6:08 AM Post #125 of 248
I have had issues with determining cable polarity for planars. It seems like my P1 Max has a reverse polarity for some reason. If I use it with Kinera Leyding cable, attaching it according to the premolded earhook/the notch above the pins will make the treble go crazy.

Is polarity different on Tin Hifi products?

EDIT: Yep, it damn sure is. I tried a second cable (penon os133) with it and also had to reverse polarity so I can get more bass and less treble. I wonder why it is mentioned nowhere. Probably my unit has it reversed accidentally?

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 12:10 PM Post #126 of 248
I have been using Akoustyx S6 for over half a year now. Headfi reviews show it is a finicky beast I mainly bought it because of the one good review it had and because its a damn marvel for a ~6mm planar in etymotic form (but shallow fit).

Basically it feels like it was tuned just plain wrong, and you have to commit every treble/high taming measure to get it right.

Once I have it autoeq-d to the bassiest curve I could find, put on a second extra "dark" graphical EQ preset in wavelet, get an actually good dongle and get some bass-promoting (atleast non-treble) tips on there, its my favourite IEM.

Its bass is just so accurate and fast. Its fine for all tracks and bass cannon level for every third or so. On those tracks its the best bass I have ever heard.

Mids are perfect as well. I dont actually know how to describe mids, they are awesome.

Treble is something that can get out of hand even after I did everything to tune it to my liking. But it is the most sparkly and precise I have heard so far.

I really like it for psytrance, EDM, speedcore, hardstyle, dubstep. I just want to push detailed and congested tracks because it has no real limit in this regard.

The main tuning caveat is that the louder you want to listen, the more agressively you have to tame treble.

In the end, this is a tinkering IEM. It can go a lot of of places and you dont have to remain complacent with its sound profile, you can just keep experimenting and it will give you more for your effort. I have S400 eartips on it right now and it weirdly gives me a less planary-bass, like it has decay (?). I didnt know it could do that.
Was always attracted to these for similar reasons to yourself. Your experience listening to EDM on them - very interesting indeed. Really want to experience them now. Maybe Aukoustyx would let me swap them for safer R-220s if they really don't work out: I was looking for a pair of those anyway.

Jan 13, 2024 at 4:30 PM Post #127 of 248
Was always attracted to these for similar reasons to yourself. Your experience listening to EDM on them - very interesting indeed. Really want to experience them now. Maybe Aukoustyx would let me swap them for safer R-220s if they really don't work out: I was looking for a pair of those anyway.
I said those genres because decay is not that big of an issue. Psyfarts and high BPM bass dont really need as much decay like some live recorded harp or violin so that they will sound good. Also because it has mad separation. And also because those are my favourite genres.

Also, 90% you will want to use the earhooks that it comes with and wear them over ear. I feel its more like a must than an optional choice.

I am curious whether their older models are a match compared to the S6, but I would say the bass may be somewhat worse on a BA model? :ghost: I mean if you look at the FR curve, the S6 is packing.

Their support did go out of the way for me with taxes, so you might as well talk with them about return/swapping.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 6:13 PM Post #128 of 248
I said those genres because decay is not that big of an issue. Psyfarts and high BPM bass dont really need as much decay like some live recorded harp or violin so that they will sound good. Also because it has mad separation. And also because those are my favourite genres.

Also, 90% you will want to use the earhooks that it comes with and wear them over ear. I feel its more like a must than an optional choice.

I am curious whether their older models are a match compared to the S6, but I would say the bass may be somewhat worse on a BA model? :ghost: I mean if you look at the FR curve, the S6 is packing.

Their support did go out of the way for me with taxes, so you might as well talk with them about return/swapping.
Yeah I primarily listen to electronic music myself. I have other IEMs which could lend themselves better to aucoustic music if needed. The thing with the R-220s is that they're said to be a good, detailed, reference tuned dual BA which could be a match for a discontinued model which I've really enjoyed. BA bass is not an issue for me, I like the precision: don't need to feel bass as much as hear it.

Jan 18, 2024 at 9:08 AM Post #129 of 248
Here's a review of the Hidizs MP145 Titanium Edition: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/hi...n-titanium-edition.26972/reviews#review-32742

Some comparisons against the OG MP145 and Shuoer S15 are included. It has a slightly larger soundstage than the already cavernous one in the OG MP145! With better technicalities to boot. It is brighter and more resolving than the OG MP145 too.

Hidizs 14.jpg

Pros:
Good accessory line-up (other than no hard case)
Robust build
Relatively easy to drive
More technical and resolving than the predecessor OG MP145
Versatile - 3 tuning nozzles to change tonality
Balanced U-shaped sonics
Excellent technical chops, especially with massive soundstage (slightly bigger than OG MP145!)
Nimble and fast bass, with great texturing
Clear midrange
Solid treble extension

Cons:
No hard case included
Shells are large and heavy
Occasional driver flex (can be mitigated somewhat with eartips)
Timbre is a bit less natural than the OG MP145
Diminishing returns in pricing

Graph of the Hidizs MP145 Titanium Edition; 8 kHz is a coupler peak:
Hidizs MP145 Titanium Graph.jpg

Gold Titanium version versus Gold nozzle OG:
Hidizs MP145 versus TI Gold Nozzle.jpg

Red Titanium version versus Red nozzle OG:
Hidizs MP145 versus TI Red Nozzle.jpg

Silver Titanium version versus Silver nozzle OG:
Hidizs MP145 versus TI Silver Nozzle.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2024 at 12:20 PM Post #130 of 248
I've been enjoying the LS S15 for a few weeks now. A much more adult version of the S12 Pro that I've also recently received. The S12 Pro has micropore over 1/2 the spout to help with the overall balance. The S15 comes out of the box not needing modification or EQ. They are a rich old school planar sound. Nothing showy, but cohesive.

Jan 18, 2024 at 9:07 PM Post #131 of 248
In case anyone is interested, the Campfire Supermoon planar is on discount on MassDROP:
1705629914689.png

https://drop.com/buy/campfire-audio-supermoon-iem

I've auditioned it twice before. It is one of the saner Campfire tunings, but is very overpriced as per most of their stable. But it is probably one of the most resolving planar IEMs, topnotch technicalities, though bad planar timbre.

I think originally it was a custom IEM, but this seems to be universal.

Jan 19, 2024 at 12:42 PM Post #132 of 248
Jan 27, 2024 at 6:06 AM Post #133 of 248
Just to report back, I ended up going with a pair of Kefine Klanars. I tried out Squiglink EQ'd profiles and actually liked the Hidizs MP145 profile best, but the purported size/weight gave me some pause so I went with something smaller/lighter and easy to drive. I'm happy to report they're quite comfortable, even for many hours at a time and isolate fairly well.

My daily driver is/was an un-EQ'd AKG Q701 so I don't really have any other planar IEMs for comparison. Source is PC with O2 amp. This is going to be some admittedly subjective impressions: Stepped up bass is a nice change from what I'm used to without muddying the other ranges. Could use a little more energy with female vocals, snare drums and cymbals aren't as crisp as they should be. Details and layering do not disappoint.

There's some intermittent crackling going on when they're plugged in but nothing is playing - poor 3.5mm contact or EMI? The cable also seems slightly on the shorter side. Aside from that I'm pretty happy with the purchase.

Jan 27, 2024 at 3:03 PM Post #135 of 248
Never had that problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back