PLANAR IEMs fans thread-Impressions, suggestions, ranking list, techs
Dec 11, 2023 at 9:03 PM Post #76 of 240
I have a Stellaris, it's gathering dust now because I have much better IEMs, but one thing that is very notable about it is the bass.

I'm not sure why exactly I'm hearing what I am, it doesn't particularly graph like it's a bassy set and the extra spicy treble steals the show, but something about that long nozzle and metal body I imagine is doing magical things to the bass because it has a very visceral feel to it, something even the Maestro SE doesn't replicate even with it's massively boosted sub bass.

Once you tame the treble and add a little meat to 200Hz and below, the feel of moving air and resultant thump is something I haven't heard again in other IEMs, so I'm really hoping this IEM gets a second iteration with improved tech, tuning, and ergos, because that bass in a hybrid/tribrid setup would be quite special.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2023 at 8:24 AM Post #78 of 240
1702473538359.png

ive compare those Hidizs MP145 and TinHifi P1plus against Sivga Nightingale

The overall tonality of Nightingale is rather niche and I consider it specialize for instrumental music more than bass heavy stuffs because its very very bass light.
I would call it crisp neutral with mids and upper treble emphasis. These are very sparkly and airy sounding IEM. For those who love brilliance and shimmer, they will be amaze, but for those that enjoy lush thick mids or round rumbly bass, it’s certaily a risky bet.

So, neutral, with bass that is warm with lower mid range and just a slight mid bass boost, then the mids are gently brigth with good resolution and attack edge, but master of the show is the treble.

Highlight of the nightingale is: open spatiality, boosted sens of transparency, mid range instrument fowardness and vividly crisp treble.

VS TINHIFI P1plus

Firstly, the P1plus is notably harder to drive. Then it’s more neutral, leaner and better balanced. Macro resolution is superior as well as spatiality is cleaner, but more intimate.

The bass is leaner, deeper and more textured and well define. Kick drum isn’t as warm and hazy and it feel more speedy in attack, bass line are more vibrant and dense, though not rumbly at all too. Separation with mids is edgier and dont bleed on lower mids as much.

The mids are more natural yet a notch brighter as a whole, texture richness is fully restitute and transparency don’t have a mix of blur and edge as the Sivga. Female vocal aren’t as fowards, overall mids feel leaner and even lighter in note weight than Sivga. Saxophone and vocal are smoother in uppermids and more natural and harmonious in tone with wider presence than more upfront and compressed presentation of Sivga.

Treble is a bit similar though better balanced and less prompt to slight treblyness with P1plus,percussions are quite sparkly, snappy and fowards but in a smoother W shape way than spikier Sivga which is sharper but less full in treble, thinner and more prompt to extract metallic sound and instruments. It feel a bit more airy and stretched in stereo rendering too with Sivga.

Soundstage is wider and taller with Sivga, while deeper and cleaner with P1plus.

Imaging is notably superior with P1plus, its not just about higher pitch sound positioning and definition of each instrument is easier to pinpoint due to higher sens of transparency in layering readibility.

All in all, the P1plus feel like an upgraded Nightingale for less than half the price, but is harder to drive,even leaner in dynamic and quite a hell to use because of poor fit.

VS HIDIZS MP145

The MP145 are notably more dynamic sounding in bass and mids, as well the soundstage is wider, taller and deeper. But no1 thing that hit me is the bass, it’s more punchy and rumbly, more boosted. So tonal balance feelmore Ushape and bassy, mids are hint brighter and more edgy and treble is better balanced yet a bit more crunchy and less plain brilliant than Sivga.

The sub bass is notably more boosted and deeper, with thicker more vibrant and resonant rumble, mid bass impact have more punch but kick is a bit darker, more scooped in presence than Sivga, we have thumping ‘’omph’’ with MP145,while a mellow but chunkier mid bass punchiness with Sivga. MP145 separation with mids have less warm transition too.

Mids are more lively and lush with MP145, they are thicker and less lean and distant as a whole, attack is edgier thus definition seem better rounded. Its more spacious and open,texture is a bit more grainy and less transparent. Timbre is more liquid with the Sivga, resolution is crisper, vocal presence more compressed and intimate, note weight lighter.

Treble is quite different and not as sparkly and crisp with MP145, which is crunchier, this will benefit violin attack as well as instrument like electric guitar while for the Sivga its more shiny and benefit acoustic guitar and harp which have more sparkle and longer and cleaner resonance,its not as fully bodied and lower harmonic vibration will not densify acoustic guitar like it do for MP145.

Soundstage is gigantic with MP145, quite unbeatable in that regard but Sivga do well still, yet it feelmore closed and intimate, its mostly upper treble that add sens of air and deepness wideness, for tallness and holographic rendering MP145 is superior, you feelmore in middle of vast soundscape your part of with those while everything feel a bit static and over centered with the Sivga apart this extra stereo channel stretching with highs frequencies, mostly percussions, electric guitar and harp.

Imaging is about on par, but due to more vaste soundscape it’s easier to travel in sound layers with MP145.

All in all, treble performance feel superior with Nightingale and overall resolution cleaner but the tuning is way less versatile and macrodynamic is lacking variance of amplitude in bass and mids. The MP145 is both more fun and better tuned and don’t suffer timbre texture imbalance though the texture is a bit harsher.

Dec 13, 2023 at 8:49 AM Post #79 of 240
Here's a review of the Letshuoer S15: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/letshuoer-s15.26854/reviews#review-32427

S15 8.jpeg

TLDR:
It is a lush and smooth planar IEM, with excellent timbre.

Pros:
Modular cable for various source terminations
Decent accessories
Ear-friendly ergonomics
Relatively easy to drive
Pleasant warm U-shaped tonality
Fast and clean bass
Smooth and lush midrange
Fatigue-free, sibilant-resistant treble
Extremely natural timbre for a planar IEM
Excellent imaging and layering

Cons:
Externals are a bit cheap-looking
Driver flex
Not the most extended in treble and resolution
Slight sub-bass roll-off
Diminishing returns due to pricing

Letshuoer S15.jpg

8 kHz is a coupler peak

Dec 13, 2023 at 9:07 AM Post #80 of 240
Here's a review of the Letshuoer S15: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/letshuoer-s15.26854/reviews#review-32427

S15 8.jpeg

TLDR:
It is a lush and smooth planar IEM, with excellent timbre.

Pros:
Modular cable for various source terminations
Decent accessories
Ear-friendly ergonomics
Relatively easy to drive
Pleasant warm U-shaped tonality
Fast and clean bass
Smooth and lush midrange
Fatigue-free, sibilant-resistant treble
Extremely natural timbre for a planar IEM
Excellent imaging and layering

Cons:
Externals are a bit cheap-looking
Driver flex
Not the most extended in treble and resolution
Slight sub-bass roll-off
Diminishing returns due to pricing

Letshuoer S15.jpg
8 kHz is a coupler peak
nice review that resonate with mine.
100% agree with pros and cons, well, for sub bass roll off not sure since its so subtle and overall presentation is thick and trick listener mind, its mostly noticeable with double bass attack release, but i put this on ''non linear extension''...
anyway, it seem everybody are amaze by mids and timbre of these, most natural sounding planar yet for me too and a true keeper .

Dec 13, 2023 at 5:11 PM Post #82 of 240
news i forget to share but belong here too.

Simgot will enter the planar game, tribrid and quad way. Im not sure which kind of planar it is, surely a micro one like the very Moondrop May and Seeaudio rinko....i dont think it will be full range it would be odd in multi driver config....

1702505246590.png
1702505266889.png

SuperMix4=1DD+1BA+1planar+1piezo (price unknown but my guess is arond 300-400$)

EW300= 1DD+1planar+1piezo (since EW serie seem budget minded, my guess is more or less 100$, bit like EM6L)

If you think 2023 was a hot year for Simgot, think again: 2024 might be even more intense in sound value. But 2023 glory was about dynamic driver, single or with the help of passive radiator....its at what they excell i feel, but they can surprise us positively again who know...

PS: forget to say, but SImgot has made their hand on planar headphone in the past, which pass under the radar:
1702505587088.png

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #84 of 240
I think I'm gonna be hanging around this thread a lot in the future. I really like planar drivers' characteristics... I am a bit curious about the Madoo Type 512. May have to try a set.

Dec 16, 2023 at 3:58 PM Post #85 of 240
Dec 16, 2023 at 4:23 PM Post #86 of 240
Fascinating release from Sony! Yeah, hopefully it won't have ridiculously limited volume like the Walkman DAPs.

Dec 16, 2023 at 7:19 PM Post #87 of 240
Fascinating release from Sony! Yeah, hopefully it won't have ridiculously limited volume like the Walkman DAPs.
yes....not alot of info on amping section...i dont think it will use powerfull r2r dac amp like Svarnar TWS...which is a DD...with TWS, even DD cant be drive properly imo.

but the price is good...i like the budget Audeze goes sony lol. ive complete list of all planar i can remember and ....was shock about Audeze flagship planar price! as well as Goldplanar...

yet, priciest of them all is Simphonio P Zero...freakin 5K$ for obscure single planar driver! craaaaaaaaaaaaaazy!

https://www.head-fi.org/conversations/review-collaboration-and-fiio-promoting-on-chifi-love.3159855/

Dec 18, 2023 at 6:07 PM Post #88 of 240
Yikes! I really like me some planar IEMs... but not at THAT price!!

Dec 20, 2023 at 1:26 PM Post #89 of 240
For those who may find it interesting.
The Kefine Klanar most likely uses the same planar driver as TANGZU x HBB Wu Heyday (the drivers front grill look identical). Unfortunately I don't have a possibility to take a macro photo to prove that.
Hf387515b91604cfaa977fd86303777aa0.png_720x720q50.png

Link to Alibaba store

While the Hidizs MP145 uses a completely different driver. Which can be seen in Michael Bruce's video:

H6b52e0f9f1824d689e3a94fdab993b4dI.jpg_720x720q50.png

Link to Alibaba store

Dec 25, 2023 at 3:51 PM Post #90 of 240
I'd like a new planar iem even though i love my S12PRO, but i would like one that offers great, well extended treble. I feel like the current planar iems do great bass, great midrange but only decent treble.

I'm thinking of a planar+ba hybrid. I know there is Dunu Talos but its bass is inferior to other planars. I know there is Oriolus Szalai which has a DD as well but its tunning is not to my liking.

Does anybody know of a good planar+ba implementation under 500-600$?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back